Cottage in Bonar Bridge, Sutherland, Highlands, Scotland - Quiet Scottish Village,Luxury cosy cottage, Key Road Junction from which to explore the Highlands
If you are looking for a central location from which to explore the majestic scenery of the Highlands - come, relax and enjoy the comforts of Monach House. Monach House is a traditional stone cottage, situated in the centre of the Highland village of Bonar Bridge. All the rooms are warm and comfortable and bathrooms have powerful showers with unlimited hot water.For that luxurious feel the bed linen is 400 count pure Egyptian cotton and the duvets soft and cosy yet hypo-allergenic. We are centrally placed to explore the dramatic scenery of whole of the North of Scotland. From here you can readily reach the rugged West coast, the cliff tops of Caithness and the North coast and yet the thriving city of Inverness is still only a 40 minute drive away. This is a beautiful area with award-winning beaches, amazing scenery and wildlife.
About the Owner
We are a retired (early) couple with a background in the NHS. We love meeting new people and regard our 'job' as part of our social life. Having holidayed in this area for a couple of months, 5 years ago, we decided we just had to stay. We were lucky enough to find Monach House and spent a couple of years bringing it up to date whilst retaining its original charm.
Guestbook comments from the owner
A beautiful cottage with the warmest of welcomes and delicious food! We really enjoyed our holiday. July 2009.
Absolutely lovely place to stay and visit. Food was wonderful -thoroughly enjoyed our trip! May 2010.
More than 4 star -Great place, friendly people - hopefully will be back soon. June 2010.
1 based on 1 holidaymaker reviews
Accueil improvisé au dernier moment nous envoye les clés au domicile... Apres notre depart ! Et difficile à joindre en plus . Appartement pas tres propre et lits mous . Par contre situation agreable . Au total : cher. compte tenu de la qualité .
From the Owner
“We are centrally placed to explore the dramatic scenery of whole of the North of Scotland. From here you can readily reach the rugged West coast, the cliff tops of Caithness and the North coast and yet the thriving city of Inverness is still only a 40 minute drive away. This is a beautiful area with award-winning beaches, amazing scenery and many activities - fishing, golfing, walking and mountain biking to name but a few!”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Cycling with great mountain bike trails locally at Balblair and Carbisdale.Horse riding and Pony Treking. Fishing - The Kyle of Sutherland Angling Association's pristine water extends for some 14 miles from the Creich pool, to the east of Bonar Bridge, westwards to where it is joined by the rivers Cassley and Oykel. The Kyle has four feeder rivers which are amongst the most prolific Salmon Rivers in the Highlands, the Carron, Shin, Cassley and Oykel, all of which are top class Highland fly fisheries. Day tickets are available locally for Salmon, Sea Trout and Brown Trout fishing. Whisky distilleries at Glenmorangie, Balblair and Dalmore all with visitor centres and tours. A wonderful area for walkers and hill climbers; sight seeing - castles, a wealth of archaeological remains along the east coast, seals, birds and much more.
Miles and miles of golden sandy beaches and sand dunes starting in Dornoch a 15 min drive and continuing up the coast through Golspie and Brora. At low tide basking Seals can be seen on the sand bars at Embo (the next beach along from Dornoch) and a wealth of bird life inhabit Fleet Nature Reserve.
Nearest airport Inverness 50 mins drive. Car hire available at the airport. Nearest Railway Station Ardgay 2 mins drive (easily walkable). Edinburgh / Glasgow 3 hours drive.
Dornoch (Award winning beaches and Championship golf course)- 15 mins drive. Tain 13 miles with two supermarkets, shops, pubs and hotels. Tongue and the North Coast are only an hour away (also access to John o’ Groats and the islands of Orkney). Ullapool, Lochinver and the spectacular scenery of the West coast are 90 minutes away. Inverness, the Black Isle and access to Loch Ness, the Cairngorms and the Nairn coast are 40 miles to the South.
Bonar Bridge has two hotels, a Bistro Bar, a café specialising in home produce (and with a spectacular view of the Bridge), a bakery and general store, a butcher, a corner shop with truly impressive array of products (ironmongery, haberdashery, seeds, electrical goods etc) and an art shop (with a similarly impressive range of materials for artists of all persuasions). It is home to the award winning Caledonian Curry Company, which also runs an evening take-away from Tuesday to Saturday.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
1 Nov 2016 - 19 Dec 2016
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
21 Dec 2016 - 4 Jan 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£150|
Monach house is open all year. A 25% non-refundable deposit is payable on booking, with the balance due 6 weeks before your holiday. Please contact by phone or email regarding availability and reservation. Payment by either personal cheque, BACS or PAYPAL.
Saturday preferred changeover day but this may be flexible.
Preferred arrival time 4pm. Departure time 11am.
Notes on prices:
Short breaks & discounts available for long winter lets, by arrangement with owners.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund for cancellations more than 7 days before check-in date.
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“We offer self-catering and optional evening meals for our guests.We grow our own produce and have Free Range hens.We have a love of good food and wine and enjoy sharing with new friends!”
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Music Library
- Satellite / Cable
- Video Library
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets considered
- wheelchair inaccessible
- near the sea
- autumn foliage
- winery tours
- bird watching
- horse riding
- sight seeing
- whale watching
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- deepsea fishing
- fly fishing
- freshwater fishing
- mountain biking
- mountain climbing
- bay fishing
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Newly fitted shower-room with large tiled walk-in shower / wash basin and WC. Dual voltage shaver point over mirror. Heated towel rail. Between the bedrooms, separate WC with wash basin and heated towel rail. Plentiful supply of fluffy white towels.
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 4
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 4 (2 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with kingsize / twin beds. Bedroom 2 with double bed. 400 count Egyptian cotton bedlinen / memory foam mattress toppers and micro-fibre duvets / pillows - extremely comfortable. Wardrobes, chests of drawers and bedside tables with lamps.
- Golf ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: The cottage is centrally heated (oil-fired boiler) with thermostatically controlled radiators and has a log burner in the sitting room. The house is non-smoking. Well behaved pets are welcome and dog baskets can be provided. Guests are requested to confine pets to the conservatory and kitchen area for the benefit of subsequent guests who may have allergies. All linen and towels / electricity and starter pack of logs included in the prices. Outside: Mountain bikes can be safely locked in the conservatory and an outside water tap is available by the patio. The patio has garden furniture and barbecue facilities. Parking is available at the rear of the house. Utility Room: Automatic washing machine, indoor and out door drying racks, iron and ironing board. Tumble drying facilities in main house. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All linen and towels provided (inc. extras to change). Bed linen changed weekly. Thoroughly cleaned between lets but guests are requested to leave the cottage clean and tidy on departure. Other: We have added a conservatory off the kitchen area where you can relax and enjoy the morning sun and there is also a small patio garden with furniture – ideal for a barbecue, weather permitting!