House in Caunes Minervois, Aude, Languedoc Roussillon - Medieval Village
This village house extends over 4 levels: from garden, barbecue and cave (level 1) up to Master bedroom and bathroom (level 4) with views across the village to the Pyrenees. A dining terrace is adjacent to the kitchen (level 2) and a sun terrace is adjacent to bedroom 2 (level 3). The property is just a few steps away from the centre of village and the attractive shops where you can buy bread, meat and all your day-to-day needs. This village house has a narrow facade to the street which belies its overall size. If you enjoy exploring, walking, wine, sight-seeing, cycling, and the French way of life - then this is an ideal property for your holiday. Caunes-Minervois is famous for the local pink marble: full details of local attractions, pictures and maps can be found on our website. There are also art galleries, pottery workshops and weekly markets in Caunes even though it is a small village. Bottles of the local wine, selected by the owner, await the arrival of guests to welcome them.
Top Traveller Review
Wonderful property with a fabulous outdoor space!
About the Owner
(12 traveller reviews)
Wonderful property with a fabulous outdoor space!
This is a great property for families and friends to get together, the kitchen and outside deck area works really well for warm sunny evenings. The bedrooms are all very well equipped and a great size, so no need to fight over who gets the bigger room! The design and decor of the home compliments the area too, so you get a real feel for the place!
Perfect location in heart of medieval village
gorgeous village and property, nice to have lots of outdoor space that is so provate in the heart of a village, lovely courtyard and sunbathing area. Outdoor dining areas both useful as well and nice to have the bbq. v well equipped and well placed for all sightseeing and winery trips. comfy beds, large bedrooms & bathrooms. Nice to have good wifi and UK tv as well just in case! Beach equipment all provided for you was a nice touch as well as the welcome bottle of wine. also plenty of storage space for fridge /freezer with the extra downstairs - v useful for a full house. hikes from the village were all worth doing - we did a few ranging from 17km to Citou and back on the forest paths, to 10km past the church to just shorter walks in the vineyards around the village. V good restaurants in Caunes compared to other small french villages we have stayed, nice wine bar too and nice to have all the local shops and amenities within a few minutes walk of the house.
An interesting property in a pretty town.
We enjoyed our stay in the house in Caunes. It was clean, well kitted out with everything and more than we needed. Multiple fans were useful in the hot weather and there were plenty of books, games, tvs wifi should the weather be poor. The house had a homely feel and and the quirky lay out on different levels added character. The kitchen was well supplied with crockery and cutlery and there were cooking facilities if needed.
Upstairs and downstairs bathrooms were useful and added to the feeling of there being everything that you need.
The outside space, whilst limited, provided eating space and relaxing space. It would be better for relaxing if the sun terrace had a better shade facility as the umbrella was broken and was not safe in the windy conditions.
The only other problem was the lack of a parking space and it was first come first served on the busy road.
Caunes is an interesting town with a variety of local shops, artisans and good local restaurants. A good place to wander round.
A great place to stay in Caunes with a very central location. Communication with the owner was very prompt. The place itself has everything you need, and the outdoor patio and garden is amazing! I would definitely stay here again!
I stayed here with some colleagues, it was a great base to explore Carcassonne and surrounding area. We ate at a local restaurant which was very welcoming and enjoyed some lovely walks nearby. The terrace both outside the kitchen and off the upstairs bedroom are lovely and perfect suntraps. The chalet was well equipped, the wifi worked well and beds were very comfortable.
Lovely place to stay
We had a lovely stay at this house. The booking process was very efficient. The house was clean and very well presented when we arrived. The house is well equips and they even supply some beach equipt. Great outdoor space and it's a lovely village to stay in. I would highly recommend this property.
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
In the gardens of the Abbey at the centre of the village concerts (both a classical season in July/August and more popular events) are staged weekly in the summer. The village hosts an annual marble sculpting competition as well as a variety of craft classes at various times. The foothills of the Montagne Noir begin behind the village and provide walking, hiking, bird watching and rock climbing opportunities. The extensive vineyards of the Minervois, and the Canal du Midi that runs through them, provide excellent walking and cycling opportunities.
The Mediterranean coast is 40 minutes drive away, and the adjacent village, Peyriac (5 kms), has a new public swimming pool. Just 20 minutes away, the Lac de Jouarres near the village of Homps has been developed for swimming, picnicking, etc. Swimming from the man-made beach on the Lac de Cavayere in Carcassonne is also popular in the summer.
Caunes is easily accessed (by car) from a number of airports: Carcassonne (20 mins), Beziers (1hr 10mins), Perpignon or Toulouse (1hr 20 mins). Car availability is recommended unless a local cycling and/or walking holiday is required, full shopping facilities are close by. Caunes is approximately 10 hours drive from Calais (virtually all by motorway except for the final 15-20 mins.)
Carcassonne and the World Heritage site of the old walled city is 20 minutes by car. A wealth of interesting villages, such as the Cathar stronghold of Minerve, are about 30 mins drive away, and to the south a variety of ruined Cathar castles can be visited en route to the Pyrenees. Barcelona is 2-3 hours drive from Caunes.
Five minutes walk away Marlene's shop has a amazing selection of foodstuffs including a bakery. Caunes offers another bakery, a small supermarket (including a butcher's shop), a bank, a cafe-bar, several delightful restaurants, a pizzeria and a hotel with a restaurant. In addition, there are many outlets for the local wines, art galleries, and a post office.
Parking is in the street across from the house, or in an off-street carpark (5 mins walk).
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
29 Apr 2017 - 9 Jun 2017
1 night minimum stay
for 1 night
10 Jun 2017 - 23 Sep 2017
1 night minimum stay
for 1 night
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Saturday is the usual changeover day, but other days can be agreed by prior arrangement.
Check-in time is 4pm and check-out time is 10am. However, if these times are inconvenient, we will be happy to store luggage for you by prior agreement.
Notes on prices:
All local taxes, including the tourist tax, Taxe de Sejour, is included in the booking cost.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund for cancellations more than 30 days before check-in date.
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 60 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- wheelchair inaccessible
- winery tours
- bird watching
- eco tourism
- paddle boating
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- mountain biking
- mountain climbing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom (level 4) with sink, toilet and bath/shower. A wall heater, mirrored wall and power point for hair dryer etc. Wetroom (level 2) with sink, toilet and shower. A wall heater and heated towel rack.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6 (3 Bedrooms, two double and one twin) Notes on bedrooms: Master bedroom (level 4) with double bed, and views over village to Pyrenees, a bathroom is the only other room on this level. Two more bedrooms one with twin beds and window onto street, other one with double bed, sun terrace and rooftop village view.
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: Suitable for a family or friends sharing - 2 rooms with double beds and one with twin beds. Please note: there is a strict no smoking policy inside the house. As a consideration to other guests, no pets are allowed. Outside: A courtyard garden is accessed directly from the street (using side gate and alley), or from either the cave or steps down from the kitchen terrace. A large, built-in barbecue is adjacent to the steps down from the kitchen terrace. A sun terrace with fine views across the village to the Pyrenees is located on level 3 and is accessed via bedroom 2. Utility Room: Front room (street level, level 2) contains work desks, washing machine, library & arm chairs. Cave, below kitchen (level 1) contains deep freeze. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: The house is cleaned prior to all arrivals. All towels and linen are provided, and are changed and cleaned weekly. Other: The cave is an old wine cellar under the kitchen, with 'pierre-apparent' walls and massive stone slab ceiling, converted to a cool room (with deep freeze) with french doors into courtyard garden.