Farmhouse and ground floor apartment near Barga, Tuscany, Italy - A Mountain Idyll with Organic Produce and Gourmet Chef Available
Lavacchio offers comfortable holiday accommodation in the old farmhouse (5 bedrooms/3 bathrooms) and converted stable (2 bedrooms/1 bathroom), a stunning pool with wooden loungers, a table tennis table, badminton and boules and space to roam amongst the terraces and chestnut groves. The kitchens are both well equipped, there are comfortable sitting rooms as well as covered dining terraces with BBQs and an old pizza oven. Local shops and restaurants are minutes away, seasonal organic produce is available and there is a resident chef who can prepare a candle-lit dinner on the terrace for you. The owners, Ailsa and Jamie Reynolds, live at Lavacchio and are willing to offer advice on where to shop and what to see, book restaurants and galleries or are happy to respect your privacy and leave you to your own devices. Cooking classes and guided walks are available. Lavacchio serves as a perfect base from which to explore and an idyllic haven in which to relax.
Details for holiday apartment La Stalla apartment with Farmhouse (Sleeps 14, 7 Bedrooms), 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 14, 1 Bathroom
The apartment on the ground floor of the owner’s house is available with the farmhouse for larger groups in the high summer.
The large bedrooms each have huge double or twin beds and antique furniture.
The bathroom has a big wet area shower, WC, bidet and basin.
All linen, towels and pool towels are provided.
The sitting room is comfortably furnished and includes a wood burning stove, a writing desk, a range of books, Ipod dock and games.
The small sunny kitchen is sufficiently equipped for most culinary adventures and opens out onto a private terrace.
There are spectacular views from every room and a delightful rose covered loggia with dining table that seats 4 and reclining chairs to snooze away the afternoons. The spa pool in the loggia is available off season.
La Stalla apartment is only available taken with the farmhouse during July and August.
About the Owner
Having owned and run a small hotel in Scotland where we were trying to grow our own vegetables, we decided to try a larger, more challenging project. A 26 acre farm in the hills of northern Tuscany has given us the opportunity to raise much of our own meat, grow nearly all of our own fruit and vegetables and invest in the future with young olive trees and grapes. Our experience in the hospitality industry has meant that we set out with a vision to offer holidaymakers the sort of environment which we would want on our own vacation.
From the Owner
“Lavacchio is only 80km from Pisa airport with an excellent train connection to our local station at Barga-Gallicano. Just an hour from Pisa and we are set in a beautiful mountain environment where we can indulge our interest in walking and skiing. By avoiding the intense summer heat of the plains we can enjoy the summer fully, sleeping comfortably without the need for air conditioning. The chestnut and beech clad hills are a riot of colour in the Autumn and the wild flower meadows of the spring have to be seen to be believed. Seasons are well defined here, as much by the food on offer as by the climate: local dishes are very much the norm and there is immense pride in the fabulous ingredients. This is Italy in the raw - timeless and slow and welcoming.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Cookery courses are available on a daily basis and can be arranged at short notice. These use our own organic produce, when available and include lunch and dinner with wine. Guided walking in both the Appenines and the Apuane Alps is available at a cost of 25 euros per person per day. A visit from a local masseuse can be arranged. Wine tasting 10 euros per person.
The beaches of Pisa, Viarreggio and Forte dei Marmi are an hour away by road.
Pisa airport is 80km away. Florence 100km and Genoa 130km. Car hire is essential in order to get the most out of your holiday.
Molazzana (bakery, village shop and bar) is 2km. Both Gallicano and Castelnuovo Garfagnana are 15 mins away while Barga is 25 mins. The local train station is just 6km. Lucca is 35km to the south, Florence 100km and Siena and San Gimignano will take approx 2 hours.
Two large supermarkets, banks and a range of local shops are 10 mins away. There is a bar/restaurant just 12 mins walk from Lavacchio as well as 3 others 10 mins drive away. The Grotta del Vento (Italy's largest cave system) is 25 mins away, a local golf course and a high ropes park both 30 mins.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
8 Jul 2017 - 26 Aug 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
In the high season La Stalla is only available with the farmhouse for groups of up to 14 guests.
Changeover day is Saturday. There may be some flexibility in the low season. Arrival time after 4pm and departure before 10am.
25% deposit is payable to secure a booking with the balance due 8 weeks before the holiday commences. A security deposit (fully refundable) of 400 euros is payable on arrival against which you can offset any costs incurred eg produce, meals etc.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Perched above the Serchio valley and below the sugar loaf peak of the Pania del Croce, Lavacchio has a sensational 180 degree view which constantly changes. With a mixture of flat land and chestnut woodland we offer space and privacy: we are at the end of a narrow track and strung out along a ridge. With our own vegetables and fowl, countless fruit and nut trees we can offer our guests some fabulous fresh produce. With a resident chef available to prepare anything from a home made pizza to a four course extravaganza you can enjoy a gourmet experience without leaving the property. Alternatively, you can be left in peace to do your own thing. Should you want to venture further afield, we can offer advice and help to book restaurants, art galleries or train tickets or to take you trekking.”
- Away From It All
- Farm Holidays
- Hair Dryer
- Linens Provided
- Living Room
- Towels Provided
- Wood Stove
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Pantry Items
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Ping Pong Table
Pool / Spa
- Communal Pool
- Hot Tub ...
- Outdoor Pool
- Private Pool
- Private Chef
- children welcome
- pets not allowed
- smoking allowed ...
- wheelchair inaccessible
- winery tours
- eco tourism
- horse riding
- scenic drives
Local Services & Businesses
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- mountain biking
- mountain climbing
- 300 m²
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- There are a further 3 bathrooms in the farmhouse.
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 14
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed
- Bedroom 2 - 2 Single Bed
- These are in addition to the 5 bedrooms in the farmhouse.
- Terrace ...
- Golf ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: Both the farmhouse and the apartment have central heating and some logs are provided for the wood burner. Extra logs are available for a small charge. Both properties are suitable for children with cots, highchairs and a number of books provided. We also have a selection of DVDs available. Four very friendly cats, some pygmy goats, black sheep, ducks, hens and guinea fowl all provide a welcome diversion for children. For the pool there are a number of floats available and the area is safely fenced. During July and August La Stalla is only available taken with La Fattoria making the property exclusive for up to 14 guests. Outside: Outdoor life tends to be dominated by the large salt water pool with roman steps at one end (13x6m). The pool is 1.5m deep throughout and has a large stone paved surround with wooden loungers and cushions. There is a vine covered pool house with table and chairs. The pool is shared between the farmhouse and the apartment. On top of the hill at Lavacchio with 360° views is a 9mx9m tented yoga deck for those who want to contemplate the peace & tranquillity. Both houses have extensive terraces with wooden or cane furniture for comfortable relaxation. The loggia by the apartment contains the spa pool which is available in the off season. The covered table tennis area is lit for evening tournaments and there is an area marked with a badminton court. Lavacchio has open, flat terraces with olive & fruit trees and a number of marked paths. There is a large chestnut plantation on the steeper ground and any number of viewpoints should you wish to have a quiet contemplative moment.