Maweni House on Bofa Beach, Kilifi, Kenya Coast, Kenya - Air-Con in all Bedrooms, Includes Cook and Housekeeper
Maweni House offers the very best of Kenyan Coastal relaxation overlooking the Indian Ocean. The garden has secure access, straight out to a sandy quiet beach, perfect for peaceful walks and swimming out to sea. The resident cook will organise local fishermen to bring their catch of the day to the house for him to prepare delicious meals. Kilifi is approximately 1 hour from either Mombasa or Malindi airports, both have reliable taxi services.
Top Traveller Review
Great family beach holiday
About the Owner
Maureen and Jonny Havelock live in Nairobi, Kenya which is approximately 500km from the Kenya Coast and Maweni House. Maureen runs her own business providing speech and drama lessons, through employed teachers, to some 35 schools throughout Kenya. Jonny is a High Court Judge of the High Court in Nairobi. Maweni House is the holiday home both for themselves and their three children and their families.
Guestbook comments from the owner
'Thank you for this nice holiday in a perfect house with the best trained and kindest staff we have ever had in a house in Kenya! Just now we are looking forward to coming back to the Paradise' Karl and family Austria
‘Thank you, Charles and Beatrice, for looking after us. Wonderful fresh fish and beautifully cooked. We had a truly memorable holiday, idyllic surroundings and lovely long walks on the beach’ - Claire Low
1 holidaymaker review
Great family beach holiday
Maweni House was the perfect holiday spot for two families with small children looking to "get away from it all". Charles and Beatrice were so welcoming and very accommodating to our needs. We had the beach entirely to ourselves apart from a friendly fisherman (plus sometimes his kids) for a chat and a fun game of football. Kilifi is a small town and not very close (approx 20 mins drive), but worked well for our grocery shopping needs.
From the Owner
“Traditionally the family has always taken 2 - 3 week holidays at the Kenya coast, generally renting a holiday home for this purpose. When the opportunity came up to purchase Maweni House, which was then only half built, the family thought that it would be nice to finish off the house to suit their tastes and needs and enjoy a holiday home of their own.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Deep sea fishing: Locally based Howard Lawrence-Brown offers excellent charters in well maintained boats offering the chance to catch Sailfish, Marlin and Barracuda. Catch and tag policies are encouraged for most species of fish. Contacts: +254 (0) 722 831464 or visit kenyadeepseafishing.net
Diving: There is a dive school at Barracuda, a well-known German company, located at The Mnarani Club in Kilifi, offering all levels of knowledge, the opportunity to dive along the vast coral reef or experience the challenging Vuma Caves, and south of Kilifi Creek, with the chance to see huge grouper fish, barracuda and eels. Contact: Mnarani Club mddm.co.uk/Mnarani/index.htm
The soft white sandy palm fringed North beach at Kilifi is a haven for sun worshipers and stretches for miles. Known as 'Bofa Beach', it is said to be the finest beach along the Kenya Coast. One of the most delightful ways to see the beauty of Kilifi Creek is to take a dhow trip. The small Swahili kijahazi dhows criss-cross the creek visiting the tiny bays and inlets and provide a wonderful vantage for photographing the rare and beautiful 'carmine eaters' and a mass of other birdlife.
There are frequent daily flights from Nairobi to Mombasa or Malindi airports, which take 1 hour. Mombasa and Malindi airports are approximately an hour away by car from Kilifi. Both airports offer relaible taxi services.
In terms of provisions for the house, you can get most things in Kilifi town. There is a car ‘permanently’ based at Maweni House for Charles to use. He can go to do the basic household shopping for you upon request, but a contribution towards petrol expenses is expected. Charles will also arrange for fishermen to come to the door with fresh seafood including fish, prawns, crab, lobster (in season), calamari, oysters etc. Kilifi town has a Barclays ATM and other local bank ATMs. There are chemists, supermarkets and a couple of local restaurants as well.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Contact Maureen or Jonny Havelock to arrange booking (contact details as above). Bookings are confirmed upon receipt of a deposit of 25% of the total amount. Upon booking, further terms and conditions will be communicated.
Preferable Saturday to Saturday, however, we are flexible.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“A well finished and furnished house, Maweni House stands on an exclusive 1km long sandy beach sharing the same with only one other property. The beach is home to large flocks of terns and other sea birds and is wild and undeveloped - the perfect exclusive getaway haunt. Basic shopping needs are available in Kilifi town, some 8km away. The property has easy access to water sport facilities including sailing, water-skiing, scuba diving, world class deep-sea fishing and snorkeling as well as golf, tennis, squash etc. There are also some interesting historical sites to visit close by, the lovely natural Arabuko-Sokoke forest as well as Mombasa City, some 60km away, which is Kenya's second city and port.”
- Air Conditioning
- Ceiling Fans
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 3 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 4 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 5 - Shower Enclosure
- All 5 bathrooms are en-suite to the bedrooms. Each bathroom has a shower, sink and loo. There are no baths in the house. Should you require a baby bath, please request. Separate loo and sink downstairs.
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 10
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 10 (5 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Master double bed 2 x twin beds. Upstairs double bed. Downstairs double bed Cot available. All bedrooms have remote control air conditioning, large mosquito nets and en-suite. Fans in the nets in all rooms except upstairs twin.
- Golf ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: Maweni House is an ideal house for 1 or 2 families to share. The compound offers good security, including a night watchman. The beach is accessed through a secure gate in the garden, and is ideal for young families as there is plenty of shallow paddling and soft white sand. Outside: The garden has been beautifully landscaped and the pool is 15m x 8m with lots of shady spots under beautiful indigenous trees, as well as open sunny areas with comfortable sun beds. Utility Room: Washing machine. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Beatrice, the resident housekeeper, offers daily housekeeping as well as clothes and linen washing. Separate pool and bathroom towels available. Bedroom linen provided. Other: 4 out of the 5 bedrooms has veranda access with spectacular views of the sea. There is a lovely sitting area on the upstairs veranda, overlooking the sea which is perfect for a quiet morning cup of tea or coffee