18th Century House in Vouvant, South Vendee, France - Ideal Location For Relaxing With Family And Friends
La Bonte is a lovely old stone house in the medieval riverside village of Vouvant – one of France’s ‘most beautiful villages’. This is an idyllic location for a relaxing holiday with family and friends. You can soak up the peace and tranquility of rural France and still be just a step away from the heart of a village renowned for its stone ramparts, 11th century church and legendary ruined tower. You’ll find cafes, restaurants and local shops for your day-to-day needs, as well as numerous small art galleries linked to Vouvant’s status as a ‘Village de Peintres’. Vouvant and nearby Mervent offer swimming and watersports, riding, fishing, walking, cycling, tennis and forest adventure parks. Within easy reach, the long white sandy beaches of Vendee’s Atlantic coast, the historic port of La Rochelle, the lovely Ile de Re, gentle boating and cycling around the waterways of ‘Green Venice’, the theme parks of Puy du Fou and Futuroscope all offer great days out.
About the Owner
I lived in France years back and, when our children were young, my husband and I decided to renew the connection, for relaxed family holidays and also in the vain hope it might improve their French.
Guestbook comments from the owner
We had a wonderful week and the whole family loved the house and the delightful village. Carol and Mike
It's a really lovely house and garden, and we thought Vouvant was easily the prettiest village we have ever stayed in! We have holidayed in a lot of French holiday houses, and we thought La Bonte was one of the best - beautifully furnished and equipped with lots of great stuff to cook with. Catherine and family
We had a lovely week. The house was perfect and so was the weather. Juliet and family
From the Owner
“We were looking for somewhere far enough south to feel a change in temperature but easy to reach by car, as well as by plane or train. It needed to be within striking distance of the coast for beach days and have appeal all year round - countryside, towns and things to do. We wanted a location that felt part of a community and where you could walk to the bakers and local shops. Nobody can fail to be charmed by Vouvant; it's a very special place. We've spent many happy holidays of our own in La Bonte, as have friends and family.”
Activity and Interests
Vendee’s sandy Atlantic coastline is around 1 hour’s drive away. The nearest resorts at La Tranche and La Faute look across to Ile de Re and offer sheltered swimming, sailing and windsurfing facilities. A lakeside beach at Mervent is just a 5 minute drive away.
The Vendee and Vouvant are within easy reach of the UK. The port of St Malo is about 3 and a half hour drive, and the port of Caen is about 5 hours away. There are two airports nearby – La Rochelle is 1 hour away door-to-door and Poitiers is about 90 minutes away. Fast trains from Paris go direct to La Rochelle and Niort (less than 1 hour away). Car hire offices operate at both airports and city centres.
15 minutes: Fontenay-le-Comte – old Renaissance town with an open air market each Saturday. 40 minutes: Marais Poitevin - inland waterways for boating and cycling. 45 minutes: Puy du Fou– amazing theme park re-enacting battles with Vikings, Roman gladiators and the English! 1 hour: La Rochelle – historic port with lots to see and do – shopping, restaurants, fabulous aquarium. 1 hour Ile de Re – pretty island with great beaches, cafes and restaurants. 90 minutes away: Futuroscope/Poitiers.
Vouvant, in the southern half of the Vendee, is a well noted beauty spot with “Plus Beaux Villages de France” and “Petite Cité de Caractère” awards. Situated in a quiet lane overlooking the river, the comfortable, welcoming atmosphere of La Bonte benefits from all the peace and tranquillity of a rural French village combined with the convenience of a range of amenities, activities and events on the doorstep. The summer programme includes attractions such as folk festivals, art exhibitions and even opera performed in the square in front of the 11th century church. Without leaving the village, you can enjoy a simple stroll to the bakery, to one of the cafes or restaurants, a wander around the cobbled lanes, local art galleries or riverside walks or even a spot of fishing. For something more strenuous try an hour on the tennis courts, horse riding from local stables or cycling in the forest. (Fishing rod and tennis rackets in the house. Bicycles can be hired locally.) There is a tourist office in the village for more information on things to do and see in Vouvant and the surrounding area. There are two cafes in the village and two restaurants as well as a small supermarket, pharmacy, hairdressers and a post office. Bigger supermarkets and banks are a short drive away in La Chataigneraie (10 minute drive) and Fontenay-le-Comte (15 minute drive).
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£200|
30% deposit required on booking. Balance required 8 weeks before arrival. A security cheque of £200 is required with balance to be returned by post on completion of your stay.
Saturdays preferred (arrival 4pm/depart 10am), but we can be flexible.
Notes on prices:
Prices are for the property per week in UK Pounds. Discounts are available for groups of five people or fewer.
30% deposit required on booking. Balance required 8 weeks before arrival.
An additional refundable security deposit of £200 is required with the balance payment, to be returned on completion of stay.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“The house is not remote - you can walk up to the local shops and there are things to see and do just by stepping out of the door, without having to bundle everybody into the car. Yet you don't feel hemmed in; it's a very spacious house, secluded and private, in a quiet lane, with lovely gardens surrounded by old stone walls.”
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Video Library
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- wheelchair inaccessible
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- En-suites to bedroom 1 with handbasin/shower, and bedroom 4 with handbasin/wc. Hand basins in adjoining dressing rooms of bedrooms 2 and 5. Handbasin in bedroom 3. Bathroom on second floor with bath/shower, handbasin, bidet, wc. G/floor wc, hand basin.
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 12
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 12 (5 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 super king-sized bed Bedroom 2: 2 single beds Bedroom 3: 1 double, 1 single + Z-bed Bedroom 4: king-sized bed Bedroom 5: 2 single shaker-style beds Bedding non-allergenic. Winter and summer weight quilts.
- Notes on accommodation: The house is cleaned before your arrival. We ask that guests leave it clean and tidy on departure. Sorry, no smoking or pets. The house is fully heated for winter lets and logs are available for the open fire. There is Wifi access, DVD player and a wide range of DVDs/videos for all ages. There are also plenty of books, games and some toys in the house including a doll's house. Outside: The house is surrounded by old stone walls creating secluded enclosed front and back gardens. The kitchen and living room French windows lead onto a sunny front garden and terrace with table and chairs, mixed borders with herbs, lavender, geraniums, roses, peonies and a small lawned area with trees and shrubs. A tile-covered open barn provides further space for seating and houses the barbecue. The walled back garden has a large terrace with further outside seating, covered barn and steps up to a lawn with fruit trees and views across to the fields beyond the village. Utility Room: Washing machine, iron/ironing board, high chair, and door onto terrace and enclosed back garden. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All bed linen is provided including sheets/duvet covers and pillow cases. Fresh bed linen is available for stays of longer than one week. Towels are not provided. The property is cleaned on departure. Other: The front door opens onto a spacious entrance hall with polished wooden staircase leading up to the five bedrooms and family bathroom.