Lodge and B&B in Reriz, Nr.Castro Daire, Portugal - Best Kept Secret In Northern Portugal
Quinta Souto Covo is situated in a very peaceful valley, one and a half hours drive from Porto and near the beautiful city of Viseu. The Douro River and Port wine area are nearby and historical towns such as Vila Real, Bragança and Coimbra are an easy day trip away. The views from the main house and the self-catering Lodge, are breathtaking. There is a natural spring pool on the terrace below the Lodge and down at the river a private 'beach' and swimming area with its own sunbaking terrace. The gardens are extensive and a pleasure to walk through and the sound of water follows you wherever you go.
About the Owner
Tony and Sherrin bought Quinta Souto Covo in 2006.
In 2009 after a huge renovation of the Main House and Lodge in the large, riverside grounds, they decided to share their labour of love with guests and have made friends for life in the wonderful people who have stayed there since.
They are passionate about Portugal, the life, food, wine and history and enjoy passing on their knowledge.
'You will be welcomed as guests and leave as friends,' as one guest wrote, ' more of a house party than a villa rental'.
Whether your choice is Self catering in the Lodge or B&B in the Main House, the Cottrells will ensure your total privacy but be close enough to help with every detail to make your stay memorable.
Guestbook comments from the owner
A wonderful setting. The quality and comfort of our room with its superb interior design was second to none and the views to the mountains and across the river were really beautiful. This place is magical, as indeed the breakfasts that we had. Thank you we will be back. Mr & Mrs. R. Barrett, Lewes, UK.
The lodge is so warm and welcoming, and it really is paradise, Robina Wilmot - Singapore.
Best kept secret in Portugal and we loved the linen and decor, just so relaxing, permanent yearly booking please! Alexander Scully- Fulham, London
From the Owner
“The Lodge( self accommodation choice) or the Main house are beautifully furnished with every little luxury to make your stay memorable. The grounds and surrounding countryside are just breathtaking . The sound of water follows you everywhere from fountains, water channels and the river which flows through the garden. There are walks galore and beautiful terraces for the less energetic guest. It is perhaps the most beautiful area of Portugal, not so well known that there are hoards of tourists. The villages and city of Viseu nearby are full of history and some remarkable architecture and the two wine growing regions, Dão and Douro are within short driving distance, with very hospitable visits for wine tasting to be enjoyed. Diverse, elegant and full of things to do , BEIRAS ALTAS and Quinta Souto Covo are a must for lovers of Portugal.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Known as a painter's paradise, the area and indeed the views from the rooms are perfect for the aspiring or established painter, whilst it is rumoured that Picasso painted here in this very Lodge. Fishing is an absolute must, with an idyllic flowing river at the bottom of the garden and plenty of trout! Walking in the hills and valleys is ideal for the energetic. On the River Douro, 35 minutes drive away there are several Quintas who offer wine and Port-wine tastings. Nearby are two renowned Health Spas which offer various types of specialised treatments. 20 minutes drive from here there is a very entertaining riverside Water Park which is ideal for little ones and adults alike. There is a tennis court 15 mins drive away. Fly fishing is a relatively new sport in Portugal and we offer a wonderful river and expert ¨Ghillie¨service for enthusiasts. Trout, and local species are to be fished.
Aveiro and the village of Costa Nova is the closest beach. It is a one and a quarter hour drive away. The beach is over 6km long and very clean, with beautiful dunes and fine sand and there are wonderful Seafood restaurants to be found there.
Porto Airport is 1.40 hours drive away and Lisbon 3 hours.
A car is essential.
The Douro River and wine-making area is 45 mins away by car. Castro Daire (ameneties) 15 mins. Viseu (historic provincial capital) is 30 minutes. Reriz 5 minutes. There is a wonderful beach close to Aveiro in Costa Nova 1 1/4 hours drive away which is also renowned for its really very good Seafood restaurants.
In nearby Reriz village is Teresa's Bar which serves the best chicken piri piri, salad and jug of local Dao wine for 6 euros a head! There is also a second restaurant in the village, good for typical local specialities such as roasted baby goat and the typical bacalhâo, (salted cod) cooked in many different ways. Castro Daire has all the shops and banks you could want, large supermarket and again many great, cheap restaurants. The local health centre is efficient and professional in case of emergency.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Additional pricing information
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£84|
For self-catering accomodation, 20% is payable on booking and the full amount on arrival. Discounts are available for long stays. We would appreciate a deposit for B&B with full amount to be payed on departure.Credit card payment is not available.
Changeover days are from Friday to Friday, arrival and departure times are flexible.
However please check at the time of booking as there may be availability for other changeover possibilities.
Notes on prices:
Please note that the two suites in the main house can be included with the self catering rental of the Lodge at an all inclusive price of 20 euros per day per person. This gives self-catering accommodation for up to 14 people.
This is a perfect solution for multi family, self catering holidays, so please enquire.
For B&B the price is 45euros per person per night, with children charged at between 10 and 30 euros depending on their age.
We do offer discounts for long stays.
We kindly request a 20% deposit to secure your booking the outstanding amount is payed at the end of your stay
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund for cancellations more than 7 days before check-in date.
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets considered
- wheelchair inaccessible
- near the sea
- autumn foliage
- water parks
- winery tours
- bird watching
- eco tourism
- paddle boating
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- fly fishing
- freshwater fishing
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- All bathrooms have underfloor heating and heated towel rails. Bedroom 3 in Lodge is ensuite as are the two bathrooms of the Main House Suites. All bedrooms have separate hand-basins apart from their respective bathrooms.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: B&B (2 Guest Suites) + Separate 3 Bedroom House Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1: 2 mt wide Double bed with hand basin and vanity table. Bedroom 2: 2 x largesingle beds Bedroom 3; En suite Single, 1 bed Suites: Black & White: Double bed plus two large singles in attic niche. Green & White: Double bed, single in dressing room
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: Quinta Souto Covo is pet friendly (the owners have their own Labradors) and an exciting experience for children. All seasons are a joy; Winter with the chestnut harvest, Summer and Spring for walking and swimming or just lazing in hammocks reading whilst Autumn is the grape harvest and the whole region is steeped in this culture. The Lodge is part of (but private to) the main house where there are also bed and breakfast facilities, so there is always a helping hand and advice nearby! The owners live here all year round and are a font of information on the area and will warmly welcome you with a glass of Port on arrival and a tour of the Estate. A welcome breakfast hamper is provided on arrival for those choosing self-catering in the Lodge consisting of milk, eggs, bacon, butter, freshly baked bread, tomatoes and mushrooms. Outside: The terrace below the lodge has lots of outdoor furniture and leads to a large, chlorine free pool. The gardens cover an enormous area of 16,000 square metres consisting of vine- laden terraces, leading to a large lawn and eventually the River Paiva where there is a man-made terrace and sandy 'beach'. Fly fishing is amongst the best in the area and there is a large choice of varied and breathtaking walks. The views all over the Quinta are an artist's delight and local legend has it that Picasso painted here as a guest of the original owner who planned all the landscaping and planted the first vines. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All linen, towels (plus beach towels) and cleaning materials are provided. Cleaning is included once a week and more days are available for a reasonable aditional price.