Holiday Cottage in Azoia de Baixo, Nr. Santarem, Ribatejo - Located In Typical Ribatejo Village, Ideal For Touring Central Portugal
This semi-detached cottage is located in a well preserved typical Ribatejo hamlet which has 2 restaurants/cafes. There is a small garden (200 sq.m) with several mature fruit trees (lemon, pomegranate, kaki, walnut), and a magnificent linden tree under which you can spend a lazy Summer afternoon in an hammock by the swimming pool (6m x 3m) or have a Ping-Pong game under the shade. There is an open sun deck area with a barbecue and pool shower and also a large covered eating and relaxing area. The house was imaginatively restored to modern standards in 2008 retaining only the outer facade. The whole south side of the house is in glass and rustic brick projecting the kitchen/dining area and the living room into the secluded walled garden. It is a great location for touring, and Santarem (known as Portugal's Gothic capital) is only 4km to the South with plenty of shops, cinemas etc. The area is steeped in history and there is also a direct motorway link to the coast about 30 minutes away and good restaurants all around. The cottage is fully licensed with the local Council under the Alojamento Local scheme which ensures compliance with safety standards
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
Guestbook comments from the manager
Lovely convenient villa in rural Ribatejo ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Located in an apparently sleepy village, the villa is ideally placed for the motorway network to get around central Portugal and to Lisbon, and close to the beautiful town of Santarem - there is a wealth of interesting sites to visit nearby. It also turned out less sleepy than it looked, with what seems be the regular village fete at weekends at the nearby square, providing lively local character well into the night if that is what you are seeking!
Helena made us very welcome, and the villa was found in very good order; it is well equipped and perfect for a family of four or two couples, with the pool and all amenities, up to an including table tennis table and baby football, and with plenty of space to spread out. It is great for just relaxing, as a base for sightseeing, has both character and convenience, and can be recommended unreservedly - we shall be going back at some point soon!
5 based on 3 holidaymaker reviews
Great cottage with excellent facilities. Cottage was clean and tidy. The boys loved the pool and the table tennis was a welcome addition. Lots of shaded space to take a break away from the sun. The locals in the village were extremely friendly, we felt right at home!!! .
Marvelous stay, great atmosphere.
Our stay at the cottage was fabulous, a lovely property, clean and comfortable, well maintained gardens and pool, The village was very charming with a couple of friendly and welcoming bars within walking distance. The nearest town was a short drive away and there are lots of amazing places to eat with friendly people - great food at very good value. A little further afield there are lots of places to visit, from the busy bustles of Lisbon to the amazing experience in the caves at Mira de Aire. We would highly recommend a stay at the cottage in this fabulous country - the weather was perfect!
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Local activities: fun water park, cycling, golf, horse riding, walking and bird watching.
There are several beaches some 50km away and easily accessed by excellent direct motorway links.
Lisbon Airport is 70km distant and easily reached from the A1 motorway. There is a bus that runs to Santarem, but a car, although not necessary, is recommended.
Azoia de Baixo is a perfect location for touring as it is very close to several places of interest like Santarem, Lisbon, Fatima, Obidos, Tomar and Coimbra, and also Nazare, Peniche, Aveiro etc. on the Atlantic coast, are all within 1 hours drive. Porto is only 2 hours drive away, and the Algarve also has a direct motorway access and is about 3 hours away. Santarem also has a very good train service and the trip to Lisbon only takes 45 mins which enables a day visit.
The cottage is in the Ribatejo region located on the Tagus river north of Lisbon. It is known for its farming, horses, bull-fighting and wine production but is also a region steeped in historical monuments. The countryside is ideal for walking and cycling. In our road there is a small horse riding stable providing lessons and carriage rides. This is not an area of mass tourism. The people in this region are very honest and friendly and you are assured of a warm welcome. The regional food is excellent. There are open markets every weekend somewhere close by, and the towns have large supermarkets and all the other likely needs for your stay.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
1 Oct 2016 - 31 Oct 2016
5 night minimum stay
for 5 nights
1 Nov 2016 - 31 Dec 2016
5 night minimum stay
for 5 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Booking notes - we request a 50% deposit to confirm the reservation, and the rest to be paid not less than 4 weeks before arrival. Payments by bank transfer. There is a 10% surcharge for use of the Z-bed as extra sleeping capacity. There is no surcharge for use of the baby cot (no sheets/towels provided for baby). We are here to help make your holiday enjoyable, and will happily try to provide you with any additional information possible to help you plan your visit.
Notes on prices:
Special prices if occupied by less people out of peak season and also for long lets - please contact the owner. A 5th person will be charged at 10% of the daily rate. No charge for use of baby cot (no linen supplied). During winter months electricity will be charged according to the meter reading. All bank transfer charges are the clients responsibility. A €100 deposit against damage might apply.
Manager's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Hair Dryer
- Heating ...
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Table Football
- Ping Pong Table
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- children welcome
- pets not allowed
- wheelchair inaccessible ...
- water parks
- winery tours
- bird watching
- horse riding
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, Bidet
- Shower room 1 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- En-suite bathroom to bedroom 1 with bath and shower over, wc, bidet, fitted hand basin, towel rail heather and exterior window. 2nd bathroom with shower, wc, fitted hand basin, towel rail heather and exterior window.
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 5
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Double Bed, 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2 - 2 Single Bed
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 4/5 (2 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with double bed, wardrobe, commode and en-suite full bathroom. Bedroom 2 with twin beds, wardrobe. Both rooms are very large and a Z-bed or cot can be installed.
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: The house is suitable for children although the pool is not individually fenced - parents should bear this in mind if considering bringing small children. Mobility problems: please note access to garden is by 2 small steps. Clothes and dishwasher detergent and toiletries are not provided. Please abstain from smoking inside the property. Internet access by hot spot. The swimming pool is 6m x 3m and 1.20m deep. Please bring your own towels for use in the pool or on the beach. There is also an attractive well - duly protected,. The garden furniture comprises a teak table and 6 chairs, pool lounging beds and chairs. There is also an hammock under the trees for a lazy afternoon before a soccer table match with your party.The garden has an automatic irrigation system and the property is totally walled for privacy.Utility Room:Located by the pool house, with clothes washing machine. Towels and linen are included but please bring your own pool towels. The property will be cleaned at the end of each week and towels and linen will also then be changed. The grass and pool will be looked after by the gardener one day each week. Other:The entire house has high beamed ceilings. There are electric oil-filled heaters in all rooms. A cot can be supplied if necessary (no linen included). The garden furniture comprises a teak table and 6 chairs, pool lounge-beds and chairs.Soccer table