Family Beach House in Widemouth Bay, Bude, North Cornwall - 5 Min Walk to Beach, 3.5 hours from London, Rare Chance to Let Interior Designers Own House
'Beach break' is a contemporary interior designed house in a 'shabby chic' style with mature secluded quarter acre garden a short way down a lovely quiet lane in Widemouth Bay village and just 300m walk from a stunning sandy surf beach. Mum is one of London's leading interior stylists at Elle Decoration magazine. Dad's a geek and wannabe surfer. The boys can't decide which bit they love the most, exploring the walled garden, playing in the rock pools, looking at the lobsters at the village fish shop or running trains on the garden railway. If you want a quirky, stylish, yet high tech holiday home from home with a contemporary beach house vibe then read on. From the Farrow and Ball on the walls and White Company Linen on the massive beds to the well equipped kitchen, you won't be disappointed. The wood fired pizza oven is a unique feature and a hit with everyone. Pizza really never tasted so good. Be sure to check out the photos on the external website at the link below.
Top Traveller Review
I doesn't get better..........I doesn't get better..........
About the Owner
Nick has a career in internet marketing and computer stuff behind him which he put on a back burner to start a charitable initiative to get creativity into primary schools (www.steamco.org.uk)
A maker at heart, he's pretty handy and is forever pottering around Beach Break when he's down there - whether it's building a compost heap out of left over bits of decking or laying a bit more track for the garden railway with the boys.
Amanda is a well established interiors stylist and worked at Elle Decoration for ten years overseeing the style of the magazine and various shoots on location.
If anything gets painted for Beach Break she buys a dozen tester pots, paints pieces of A4 with them and sticks them up to see what works best in the lovely light we have down there. Yes, detail is everything!
Guestbook comments from the owner
'We loved the open plan living and hanging out around the table. Also loved the 'conservatory' area - fab for chilling. 'And of course the garden. We'd change very little, you've got it set up well.' - Gill, Prague.
'Great linen, duvets, and pillows. Plenty of crockery' - David, Emma and Tilly, Hampshire
'We really had such a lovely time at the house. As soon as we arrived we felt relaxed and 'at home' and I don't think I've ever felt that way before when we've rented a house.' - Claire, Bristol.
By text from our first guest: 'We're here. Kettle on. House lovely.' - Andy, Leicester (who incidentally had surfing lessons for his birthday!).
'A lovely house. Can't believe the standard of finish for a holiday property.' - Rick, Chester (who had a wet week but still had a great time in the sea every day with the kids).
5 based on 1 holidaymaker reviews
I doesn't get better..........
This is the perfect holiday home for the whole family including kids and toddlers. Appointed to an exceptional standard to delight even the most critical adult the house benefits from the owners understanding of children and they made it safe, really safe so you can just relax and stop worrying. The kids loved the play areas so much it was tough to get them down to the beach. And yes it is only a short walk! Enjoy - we certainly did.
From the Owner
“Cornwall has always been a big part of our life. As kids our respective families took us on the seemingly endless drive down the A30 on family holidays before everywhere was bypassed. When we first met we spent many weekends camping down in Polzeath - surfing or trying to get people to play volley ball with us. Then some friends bought a place in Bude and moved down there. We stayed with them a few times and camped locally and realised what a lovely spot it is - quick and easy to get to, great local beaches, lakes, attractions and pubs. When we were faced with the need to move in London, with two young boys growing up, we couldn't face the stamp duty bill so invested it in our life dream - a place in Cornwall that we use as much as we can and rent to help with the monster mortgage”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Many activities are available locally including surf hire/lessons, lots of cycling - from the family friendly Camel Trail to fish and chips at Padstow to off road biking on Exmoor. Cycle hire available locally.
Other local activities include coasteering, offroad skateboarding, sailing, climbing, archery, etc.
It's all in our house guide.
Some great beaches nearby - 2 great family surf beaches with surf hire and summer life guards on Widemouth Bay at the end of a quiet path and away from all the parking.
Other favourites are the National Trust's Sandymouth Bay and Duck Pool just north of Bude. Bude's two beaches with sea water swimming pool and Crackington Haven, Trebarwith, Boscastle, Bossiney, Tintagel and Port Isaac to the south.
Real variety - and of course the Cornish coast path just 200m or so from us.
A bus runs up to Bude and down to Wadebridge every 2 hours at most times of the day but a car is best for trips further afield.
Grab a water taxi from Rock over to Padstow for lunch or dinner.
We're 3.5 hours from West London on a good run if you come down the M4, M5, A30, A305 and cut corner up the B3262 at Hallworthy to the A39.
Train best to Exeter (2 hrs to Paddington) and prebook a taxi from there.
You can have a week at Beach Break without needing a car or using yours.
3 miles to Bude down the coast road. Ask Google for any other distances. Best thing is we're about a mile off the A39 - The Atlantic Highway - so you can be anywhere in no time and get here really quickly. No tedious country lanes.
There’s nothing much in Widemouth Bay other than the beach, the coast road and a couple of local pubs with good restaurants, gardens and stunning sea views. And that's the way we like it! We particularly love our local shop a short walk away with its fresh fish counter selling day caught fish and crabs/lobsters from Bude and Looe. Just a short walk or bike ride away, Bude is a reasonably quaint Cornish seaside town with a few half decent restaurants, some good local produce suppliers (inc organic) and, if you insist, 3 well stocked major supermarkets tho Waitrose now deliver online orders from Hoslworthy!
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
23 Dec 2016 - 9 Jan 2017
5 night minimum stay
for 5 nights
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
We keep the calendar here up to date as our master calendar and update it when bookings are confirmed.
Please email us to check out availability. 30% deposit is required to secure the property; the balance is due 8 weeks before departure. A £500 breakages/services overuse deposit is required 8 weeks before departure; this is returned, less any deductions, within 4 weeks of the end of the rental period.
Friday is the preferred changeover day although this can sometimes be flexible either way out of peak season. In summer we are particularly interested in 10 days lets so that we can have a weekend so ask about Mon to a week on Fri stays in summer holidays
Notes on prices:
No scam enquiries please! We can smell you a mile off.
Security Checks - we insist on speaking to enquirers on telephone prior to accepting bookings.
Prices are for the property per week in £GB ex heating oil. If you’d like to book the house for a long weekend/weekdays (both 4 nights) in low/mid season the rate is 80% of weekly rate given the high changeover costs. Please ignore the daily rate that Owners Direct sets..
Low season rates are for 4 people. POA for additional people. Do ask for discount if short notice.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“We love it for the same reason we're sure you will: Families - we have loads of stuff for children to do- sandpit, trampoline, swing, slide and garden railway. Foodies - we have a great range of local food and veg suppliers, a great kitchen to cook it on, a wood fired pizza oven coming soon, a local cook who can come in, local gastro pubs or Rick Stein and Jamie just down the road. Friends - with 4 bedrooms, sleep up to 9, Beach Break is a great place for friends whether it's other families or lads weekends! Surfers - we have a great beach a short walk away for beginners and intermediate surfers alike. On bigger days there are some pretty hard core breaks like the reef break at Millook for those that really do think they are hard enough.”
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- near the sea
- autumn foliage
- recreation centre
- theme parks
- bird watching
- eco tourism
- horse riding
- outlet shopping
- paddle boating
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness centre
- laundrette - serviced
- massage therapist
Sports & Adventure Activities
- deepsea fishing
- freshwater fishing
- golf pass optional
- mountain biking
- mountain climbing
- bay fishing
- surf fishing
- water skiing
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Master bathroom: stand alone designer roll top bath, walk-in shower, basin, WC and 2 heated towel radiators. En suite: shower, basin, WC and heated towel radiator.
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 9
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 8 (4 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1: super kingsize bed, en-suite, doors to garden. Bedroom 2: kingsize bed, patio door out to secluded rear decked garden. Bedroom 3: wood panelled attic, double and single beds, sea views. Bedroom 4: two full size bunk beds, porthole.
- Golf ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: Beach break is ideal for young children and designed for one or two families or three/four surfy couples. The garden/grounds are quite large and a little random so it's not advisable to allow unsupervised free range to very young children. It is possible to secure small areas for the little ones and babies and lockable stair gates are provided for the steps down from the attic and down into the conservatory, which only has a hand rail on one side. We would advise that you bring a baby monitor with you for monitoring children in the attic bedroom. The trampoline is available for guest use but the safety instructions must be read and adhered to. It must be secured when not in use and children must be supervised at all times and no more than one person on the trampoline at any one time. We accept no responsibility for any injury through use of the trampoline. We also have a sandpit, various outdoor toys. a full sized table tennis table and garden railway. Outside: The house is set in quarter of an acre of mature garden and decking, walled and fenced for seclusion and family safety. There are number of outbuildings and sheds which are out of bounds and secured. Outdoor dining furniture is provided for 8 people as well as deck chairs. A real highlight is the wood fired pizza oven we just built - you'll be cooking pizzas (google Jamie's dough recipe) in 90 secs, then throw in a chicken for caesar salad tomorrow and some roast veggies for a mid afternoon salad or soup. Nothing will ever taste good enough again when you get home! Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Linen and bath towels are included – not beach towels. The property is cleaned before arrival and on departure although additional cleaning or a local cook can be arranged, but book early! Other: Dining room with table for 8/9. Entrance porch with boiler suitable for boots, coats, wetsuits etc. Table tennis table, sandpit, trampoline and garden railway (BYO trains).