Cottages and Apartments, Grotte di Castro, Lake Bolsena, Grosseto, Tuscany - Enchanting Location Between Rome and Siena, only 9km from Lake Bolsena Beach
Located in Southern Tuscany only 10 mins away from the beach of Lake Bolsena and 45 mins from the sea, 1 hour 30 mins from Rome, halfway between Orvieto and Siena, closely bordering with the regions of Umbria and Lazio, the jaw-droppingly splendid 17th century castle, Castello Santa Cristina (complete with fairy tale turret) has been the property of the noble Caterini family for generations and still is. Over the recent past, the castle’s nearby 18th Century ivy-covered farmhouse and outbuildings have been sympathetically restored to retain their authenticity and styled into 8 cottages for guests, mostly furnished with original pieces. A large terrace overlooks the main pool where catering service is available on previous request. Perfect location for relaxing, sports and cultural sightseeing. Many activities on the spot such as cookery courses, horse riding centre with English speaking instructor, tennis court. Ideal place for horse riding excursions. A golf course near by.
Details for holiday cottage Granaio 1, 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8), 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8, 4 Bathrooms
This apartment is located in the main farmhouse below the castle where once the old granaries of the farm used to be. The windows to the south overlook the main swimming pool and the large terrace at the ground floor. All the apartment is paved with a beautiful ancient terracotta tile floor. At the entrance there is a large living room/dining room with fireplace. Next to it there is a small kitchen but it is fully equipped with dishwasher and washing machine, stove, fridge. From there a long corridor leads into 4 double bed rooms furnished with original iron beds and cupboards. 2 bedrooms have twin beds and 2 have double beds. Each bedroom has its own bathroom en suite.
About the Owner
Hello my name is Antonio Mancini Caterini, S.Cristina castle and the estate belong to my family since 1700. The Caterini family came to this area around 1200 and they moved to the castle several centuries after. Only few know that this is one of the less inhabited areas of Italy, so we benefit of enchanting countryside only 1hr and 30min from Rome and 1 hr and 15 min from Siena. From our place you can explore mountains, lakes and the sea. My wife is half English and we have 2 sons (9 and 18) and a daughter (21), we are all bilingual and happy to meet new guests at S.Cristina every year. I have a passion for sports, I used to be a triathlete and still like to bike around or swim long distance in the lake. But my real passion are horses that is why we have a riding center on the spot.
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
We organize horse riding weeks as well as cooking, photography and painting holidays for more details please contact us through the website or call us on the phone.Cycling is going to be an important activity at the castle from June 2016, with a new organization and guides.
The area has a lot to offer about history and archeology with Etruscan and Roman ruins everywhere as well as renaissance palaces, but any given period of history is well represented here with incredible art and architecture masterpieces.
This land was once the border between the Vatican state ruled by the pope and the dukedom of Tuscany ruled by different families through the centuries like Medici, Orsini etc.
Siena is only one hour away by car. The magnificent duomo and enchanting town of Orvieto is only 40 mins drive away and the eternal city Rome can be reached just for the day by train via Orvieto.
Lake Bolsena the biggest volcanic lake in Europe is only 10 mins drive away, nice sandy beaches, little restaurants and bars are available all along the north side of the lake, that is the nearest to us.
On the Capodimonte beach you can rent a motor boat and head off to the 2 islands in the middle of the lake where remains of the renaissance past are still visible in the shape of a convent with a beautiful XVI cent. church.
The best beach by the sea is only 45 min. drive away.
Nearest airport is Fiumicino Rome airport, driving distance: 1 hour 40 mins away.
Ciampino Rome airport is 2 hours drive away.
To Hire a car is highly recommended.
Nearest train station is Orvieto 40 mins drive from the castle. From there it is easy to reach Rome or Siena.
Grotte di Castro 4km.
S.Quirico 10 km.
Acquapendente 14 km.
Driving distances from important cities or towns:
Orvieto 40 min.
Siena 1 hr.
Rome 1 hr 45 min.
Viterbo 40 min.
Most of the other places of interest are within a range of 30/40 km from the castle.
Shops and supermarkets are easily reachable from the castle. You can find plenty of them in the two villages of Grotte di Castro (4 km)and Acquapendente(14km). A selection of the best restaurants is available at the castle reception for all the guests.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
9 Nov 2016 - 20 Dec 2016
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
21 Dec 2016 - 6 Jan 2017
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
For booking and further information please contact us below.
Saturday is the preferred changeover day, still we try to be most flexible when we receive other requests. It is difficult though that during the peak season other solutions can be accepted.
Notes on prices:
special discounts for the early bookings.
- Available arrival
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Hair Dryer
- Heating ...
- Linens Provided
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Dining Area
- Game Room
- Ping Pong Table
- Pool Table
Pool / Spa
- Communal Pool
- Outdoor Pool
- Car Available
- pets considered
- winery tours
- eco tourism
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- freshwater fishing
- mountain biking
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 4 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Boat ...
- Golf ...
- 1 bicycles
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: This place is a great facility for those who love to do sports in beautiful natural context. At the same time the castle estate and the park of the castle itself are extremely suitable for children and throughout the year many families come to the castle because of its children facilities: children's riding school with ponies, children's playground, babies pool, mini-football pitch, ping pong, billiard table and table football. All cottages have gas central heating for the cold winter nights, although, even in late November it can be warm enough not to need heating. Of course, for the off-season guest, as Santa Cristina is in the heart of the forest, there is plenty of wood to burn to enjoy a cosy fireside evening with a glass of local wine and a good book. Outside: The estate around us is approx 250 acres. The premises of the castle offer many facilities for adults and children to enjoy themselves, the most important are: a) 2 sw pools for adults (not heated), of which 1 available for everybody (size 16m x 6.50m) and 1 private for the cottages Marta & Capodimonte (size 4m x 8m); a children/babies pool(size 2m x 2m);Around the sw pool there are a good number of sunbeds and deckchairs as well as some gazebos to provide a shaded area. b) BBQ area with 2 grills for memorable summer evenings. c) Tennis court (cost €15 per hour needs reservation, new balls can be purchased. All at the castle reception). d) Riding school for children and adults: 16 horses and ponies available with English speaking instructor at €35 per hour. 2 sand arenas available and amazing trail riding centre with incredible countryside and views of the area. e) Terrace overlooking sw pool with 5 gazebos with outdoor tables and chairs. f) Mini football pitch.