Farmhouse in Arezzo / Anghiari Tuscany, Italy - Seemingly secluded at the end of a long gravel road but within reach of charming historic cities
Campicci is a delightful and traditional villa at the end of a gravel road which winds its way up to the villa from the village of Chiaveretto, on the main road from Arezzo to Anghiari.
The setting is magnificent – no other buildings in sight, just the forested hills that surround you, its stone walls keeping you surprisingly cool even with a ferocious sun outside. A wonderful infinity pool sweeps you into the surrounding hills. A toddler safe fence can be added for an additional cost. There are olive groves, orchards, and plenty of forest to wander through. Lots of bird and animal wildlife. Connections to famous Apennine walks and bike trails. Deer can be seen from the garden. The house is stocked with a fine mix of antique furniture including a magnificent billiards table, set in its own room with hundreds of books, cd's videos and games. A brand new kitchen leaves nothing to be desired. Eco friendly, hot water provided by efficient solar system while tap water comes from a spring under the ground, and is so desirable that villagers come to a source just outside the gate to replenish their water bottles. There’s a large banquet table inside, another in the garden plus two further round garden tables and a stone barbecue. Hidden in the billiards room is an ancient bread oven, perfect for pizza making if you don’t mind hauling your firewood up the stone staircase to the first floor.
There are beautifully coloured Tuscan dining plates and fine wine glasses. Two flat screen televisions and two stereos with plenty of music to choose from or use your iPod. There is an all weather table tennis in the garden, other bats and balls, and even some golf clubs to knock a few balls around although please don't chop up the lawn and stay clear of the delicate solar panels.
Here is a rough layout of the house. Firstly the main house. On the ground floor is the living room, a double bedroom with en-suite bathroom, the kitchen, and the dining room with its banquet table and extra lounge chairs to enjoy the view into the forest. Both the living room and dining room have superb wood fires, and there is plenty of wood stacked outside near the large parking area. There is a laundry which stays very warm and is excellent for drying clothes overnight because the stored water from the solar panels keeps it that way. There is an extra little room here (for clothes and suitcase storage)which also has a single bed.
Up the stone staircase you come to two bedrooms. The one on the left has a double bed and two windows with wonderful views. The second bedroom is configured with twin beds but an extra mattress can be added to make it a real double. It looks out on the forest to the rear.
These two rooms share a modern bathroom with huge college shower.
You then pass through the billiard room (another stereo here) to the main bedroom. Its almost a mini apartment because it is isolated. Great views. Dressing room. Big bathroom with bath and college shower.
Then there is the annex. Great place for teenagers. Downstairs there is a three quarter bed and a sofa with flat screen tv and surround sound, wood fire, kitchenette with gas stove and a small ‘fridge. Winding wooden stairs (not for the elderly) take you to the first floor bedroom (twin beds) and a large bathroom.
Just outside the dining room is the perfect place to sit around the white marble round table to watch the sunset. You can bring over another table if needed. The barbecue is nearby.
In late August you can eat figs from the tree.
Not far from the end of the road is the village of Chiassa Superiore where there is a bar with free wi-fi. You get a whole lunch here including coffee for only 10 euros (primo, secondo, contorno and water). But just across the bridge is a slice of heaven – the deli run by Patricia and Maurizio. Top quality fruit and veges, some basic supermarket supplies, and lots of home made goodies from ravioli to wood fired cooked chick peas, hams and cheeses. It’s a joy to come and shop here and chat about anything from the weather to politics. That’s me chatting to the owner in the profile photo. There’s a butcher and a baker in the village, plus a post office and bar.
There are so many places to visit I can not list them all here, but needless to say Anghiari and Arezzo with their fascinating historic centres are each only 20 mins away. Then there’s Sansepolcro with the fresco which Aldous Huxley says is the best painting in the world and so much more. Siena isn’t that far, Florence is a 40 min train ride away (to avoid the parking hassles) and the airports of Pisa, Florence and Perugia are all accessible.
Its a short drive to Michelangelo's birthplace, Arezzo has a famous monthly antique market (weekend of the first Sunday of each month) and if you miss that there are still impressive antique stores around the main square. Naturally there are detailed instructions about where to eat to suit every taste. Please lock up the main gate at night to stop deer coming into the garden and eating my plants. As you arrive on the gravel road there is a pond in the forest to your left where for years a grey heron stands looking for food crawling in the mud.
Scan the skies for birds of prey diving into the forest. Listen to owls at night and the occasional frog orchestra.The deer grunt in the right season and foxes bark. House martins skim over the pol gobbling up mosquitoes. There are very few of them in the house. The lavender plants attract an amazing variety of bees and butterflies, including wild bees which most people may never have seen.
Top Traveller Review
A wounderfull vacation in a magnificent house
The owners is very helpfull both before and during the stay.
About the Owner
Guestbook comments from the owner
"Didn't have a chance to thank you for the help you gave us and for the wonderful experience in your gorgeous house.We loved all of it. The house, the great furniture, the kitchen, also your CD and DVD collection. The garden and pool are also gorgeous as are the quiet hills with early birdsong.
G Simmonds Jun 2012
“This is our second visit and we think its becoming a tradition! The setting is a real little paradise, absolutely quiet and private with the lovely thick stone walls keeping it cool. Lovely mix of antique furniture and modern facilities like the new kitchen and the mix is just right between leaving a house sufficiently empty for the renters while keeping personal touches which add to its charm - not to mention your eclectic taste in books, music, and magazines left for us to devour.We LOVE LOVE it.This is a true piece of heaven on earth.”
B. Helmer July
We loved being secluded within this prime hillside position. This is the Tuscany dreams are made of! S. Conway
5 based on 8 holidaymaker reviews
A wounderfull vacation in a magnificent house
We had a wounderfull vacation i this beautiful house. We was 3 families whit 2 adults and 2 children. The house was perfekt because every family could have there own space and we could alo eat together all 12 both in and out. The pool had a perfekt size and the children loved the tilt.
The owners is very helpfull both before and during the stay.
Absolutely fantastic house in a gorgeous Tuscan location.
This is a really special house - incredibly comfortable and well equipped. The infinity pool is really spectacular with an astonishing view - sometimes you are swimming looking onto deer grazing in the meadows below! The diving board makes it extra good fun for teenagers! There is everything in the house you need. The kitchen is well organised - and there is plenty of space for large groups to eat together - both inside and outside the house. The beds are extremely comfy - and the shutters keep the rooms nice and dark and cool. The location is excellent - you can reach Arezzo easily for shopping and sightseeing - and Siena and Florence are easily reached for a day trip. The house itself is reached by a ten minute drive up a rough, steep but scenic track. The local deli in the nearby village is a treasure trove of delicious local produce and wine! John was always available on his mobile for any little queries, and the property was clean and well fitted out. There is Wi-Fi - a must for teenagers! All in all, a brilliant place to spend a holiday - highly recommended.
Stunning location, beautiful property that felt like someones home rather than a holiday let. If you're looking for complete peace, quiet and tranquillity then this is the place for you. The house is not overlooked by any other properties and is fairly remote (which we loved!). It was stocked with everything that you would need and was incredibly comfortable. Both outdoor and indoor cooking and eating are catered for - all of the bedrooms are stylish and roomy. I had both my family (including young children) and a group of friends with me, the biggest problem we had each day: what to eat and drink and when to start: heaven!
We've stayed in a lot of Italian Villas but this one really stands out. The setting is incredibly tranquil, the house wonderfully comfortable and the view from the pool is quite simply mind blowing - enjoy!
This is a slice of paradise in the Tuscan countryside. John and Anne were wonderful hosts and easy to make arrangements with. The property lives up to its photos. It's charming, very comfortable, private and beautiful. It makes a perfect base to explore Umbria and Tuscany. My friends and I loved every minute of our stay there and hope to return. I couldn't recommend it more highly!
Dream house in southern Tuscany
Surrounded by forest. Glorious starry nights. Rise early to see deer browse in the dew. House, pool, kitchen, bedrooms and bathrooms spotless, comfortable and perfectly equipped. Owner charming and delivers on all things promised. Found we could escape foreign tourist crowds by visiting nearby San Sepulcro, Anghiaria and other sights where Italians themselves go for summer. First visit was with friends of all ages, and returning this year (2015) with extended family. House perfectly secluded and private at end of gravel road, and no public transport or shops within walking distance, so car an absolute must, but shops of all sorts within easy drive, from family grocery with fresh local produce all the way through huge supermarket with all anyone would need. Easyjet flies to Pisa, about 2 hours by car.
Activity and Interests
Beaches north and south of Livorno are more than two hours drive
Use of car is essential for Campicci. At least once or twice each winter heavy snow might make last part of road difficult (meaning a twenty minute walk uphill).It is situated twenty minutes from two historic centres of Arezzo and Anghiari. Sansepolcro is half an hour. Rome is a two and a half hour drive taking the A1 highway to Florence, getting off at the Arezzo exit, but turning towards Bibbiena and Anghiari before arriving at Arezzo. Florence is less than an hour away - Pisa around two hours
Campicci is located behind the village of Chiaveretto midway between Arezzo (17 mins) and Anghiari (15 mins). This road presents an unspoilt view of the Tuscan countryside, full of villages and hamlets of historical and cultural interest.Caprese Michelangelo (birthplace of the genius) 35 mins. Sansepolcro (home of Pier della Francesca) 30 mis. Monterchi 40 mins. Sienna 1hr 30.Florence 1hr.Montepulciano 1hr Pisa 2hrs.Citta del Castello (furniture shops) 41 mins. Chiantishire is about 45 mins west
We are fortunate to be only ten minutes away from probably the finest vegetable shop/deli in the entire region. Located at Chiassa Superiore, Patricia sells only selected quality fruit and vegetables, much of it sought from local farmers. Try their wood oven cooked chic peas, her pastas, cheeses and hams, not to mention a fine selection of bottled wine, plus wine from Montepulciano stored in their vats at only €3 a litre. The nearby butcher provides those Florentine steaks you have to try, and the bakery too tries to go beyond the usual uninteresting dry Tuscan bread. They also make pizzas and wonderful focaccia in the evening to take home and mix with local deli goodies. The area has many fine restaurants which offer great value for money. Right at the bottom of our gravel road is a lunchtime osteria where you eat real family cooked meals. I provide a full list of places to eat in my home notes. At La Verna, a Franciscan sanctuary (you can walk or bike there from a spot not far from the house but make sure you have a car waiting) there is a restaurant that serves fresh Canadian lobster with pasta for the absurd price of €20.Ten minutes away is a traditional open fire barbecue restaurant with delicious Tuscan antipasti and mouth watering steaks. There are some pretty impressive supermarkets less than 15 minutes drive from the house - one towards Subbiano the other towards Arezzo. In Ponte all a Chiassa is a popular coffee bar with free wi fi service for your laptop.There's also a bank with an ATM. Post offices at Ponte all a Chiassa and Chiassa superior. If you not a hardened mountain bike person you can bike along many provincial roads that are quite safe, including the spectacular drive from the bottom of our road to Anghiari along the Liberty road. I have also listed a favourite sit down lunch time coffee bar where primi (pasta etc) cost €4 and secondi €4.50! Now where in Europe can you eat for that price?
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
17 Sep 2016 - 28 Oct 2016
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£300|
Secure booking of house with deposit of 25% of total. Full amount must be received one month before arrival. Cancellation within reason - negotiate with owner. Damages deposit of €400 payable before entry and returned within five days of departure. Cleaning fee of €130. I have so far never not returned a full deposit, despite an extensive array of breakages. I keep it high mainly against damage to the billiard table for which it would prove only a meagre contribution.
Saturday is traditional changeover day but am open to anything. I must insist on departure by 10 from the main house on changeover days. Flexible if no new guests arriving and you can always stay longer at the pool. Arrival strictly after 1500. Extra nights work out at slightly less than daily calculation.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Away From It All
- Fireplace ...
- Fitness Room / Equipment ...
- Hair Dryer
- Heating ...
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Tumble Dryer ...
- Washing Machine ...
- Wood Stove ...
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Dishwasher ...
- Kitchen ...
- Oven ...
- Pantry Items ...
- Hob ...
- Toaster ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- DVD Player ...
- Games ...
- Music Library ...
- Ping Pong Table
- Pool Table ...
- Satellite / Cable ...
- Stereo ...
- Television ...
- Video Library ...
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool ...
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- children welcome ...
- non smoking only ...
- pets considered ...
- wheelchair accessible ...
- autumn foliage
- bird watching
- eco tourism
- scenic drives
Local Services & Businesses
- laundrette - serviced
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- mountain biking
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, Bidet, new bathroom with spacious shower area
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, new ensuite bathroom to lower bedroom
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, Shower Enclosure, Bidet, very spacious bathroom exclusive to main room
- bathroom 4 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, Bidet, new - spacious shower zone
- Bathroom 5 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- 1st bathroom spacious delectable bath, wc, bidet separate college shower. 2nd. New. Large shower area, basin, toilet and bidet. Used by bedrooms 2+3. 3rd ground floor brand new black slate big shower wc and basin. 4th Annex large shower room wc bidet 5th ensuite shower and toilet
- 6 Bedrooms, Sleeps 12
- Bedroom 6 - 2 Single Bed
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Large Double Bed
- Bedroom 3 - 1 Large Double Bed
- Bedroom 2 - 1 Double Bed
- Bedroom 4 - 1 Single Bed, three quarter size bed
- Bedroom 5 - 2 Single Bed, can be double if required
- Description of sleeping capacity: 11/12 Notes on bedrooms: 1. Main bedroom. Queen with 160cm dressing room, views over property fields.Own bathroom. 2. Double width 140mm, white brass bed views from two windows over fields and forest.Shares shower room with 3. 3. Queen width 160mm looks over rear forest 4. Ground floor brass three quarter size bed. Forest. ensuite shower room. 5. Annex upstairs twin wooden beds can be doubled - looks onto garden through French windows. Other window to forest. Big bathroom next door. 6. Annex downstairs two single beds and now with new ensuite.
- Bicycles ...
- Golf ...
- Barbecue ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
- Tennis ...
- 2 bicycles
- Notes on accommodation: The house has magnificent solid stone walls so is cool in summer. The dining area is the favourite gathering space because of its large windows looking onto the forest and its comfortable sitting area near or at, the table. Solid antique wooden banquet table seats ten. Wood burner for chilly evenings and Hi Fi with input for ipod. Downstairs living room has new Sony Bravia 42" flatscreen with Blue Ray player. Local freesat includes BBC World. Many DVDs (some blu ray) to choose. Up the magnificent stone staircase is the second living room with 8 x 4 foot billiard table, viewing high chairs, sofa and spare extra single bed. The main bedroom with antique bedhead and ceiling fan is almost an apartment closed off with its dressing room and large bathroom.The second bedroom with double bed (white antique brass) is more compact but romantic with views on two sides. Third bedroom has rear view on forest - double bed and antique solid work table.These last two bedrooms share the new bathroom. Outside: The lower floor leads out onto charming garden with view of hills. There is a long table which can be moved to find shade from cypress trees. Two other outdoor tables one wood moveable the other white marble outside dining area immobile. There are two good mountain bikes. You can wander up dirt tracks immediately behind the house through rich forests where deer are raised. Deer can be seen from the garden in the evening. All-weather table tennis table with new quality bats (aug 2012) and new badminton set. Stone steps lead to the annex then down to the infinity pool 12 x 6 metres. Total privacy - no ugly structures to spoil the virgin forest. Owners will leave behind their favoured games including chess, backgammon, dominoes, cards, scrabble, monopoly, and mah jong. A large number of DVDs, some blu-rays, and CDs are also left out on trust. New free standing barbecue structure. Two pool umbrellas provide shade either on stone deck or grass side of pool.Pool spring water cold/hot shower Utility Room: Large utility room houses main heating elements including boiler from solar panels, pumping system for spring water, plus two new washing machines, iron with board.Hang clothes here overnight to dry as heat from solar system keeps room warm and dry. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: House is professionally cleaned before arrival and cleaning fee of €130 is applicable on departure. Clean sheets and towels are provided according to need at start of holiday. Extra sheets or towels available from linen cupboard. Extra cleaning available. Other: Dining room massive windows to forest. Large banquet table 10 chairs, sofa, antique cabinet for glasses and dishes, hi fi and cds. Wood burner for chilly autumn evenings. The favourite hang-out room for most adults. Plenty of indoor games.