Holiday Home in Bonnieux, Luberon National Park, Provence - Between The Picturesque Village Of Roussillon And The Historic Village Of Bonnieux
La Grande Terre is a typical 18th Century Provencal 'Mas' (traditional farmhouse). The property which is over two hundred years old has recently been renovated and lovingly restored and has been decorated with style, elegance and traditional antiques and beautiful furniture chosen with care and good taste. The house is perfectly situated with south facing, uninterrupted views of Bonnieux, Lacoste and the Luberon mountains.
About the Owner
We are a married couple who adore France and the Luberon in particular where we love spending as much time as we can. He is an architect and she his part time secretary. In England, he specialises in conservation and restoration of old and interesting buildings, preserving as much of the architectural features as possible, which of course stood him in good stead for this major undertaking here in France. We have travelled extensively and incorporated some ideas and artefact's into the restoration which we have collected en-route, thus creating an interesting and eclectic mix, whilst also keeping the 'Provencal' feel in the house. We both love good food and wine and those are two other great reasons to have a home here with so many wonderful restaurants and vineyards within easy reach.
Guestbook comments from the owner
"We fell in love with this gorgeous house, it felt like home but better, we can't wait to return."
"The situation could not better, everywhere was so accessible and we loved the ambiance and charm of the house."
"Simply divine, we felt so fortunate to stay in such a beautifully restored house with it's lovely antiques and modern bathrooms."Date of Stay May 3, 2012
Our family (two adults, two children, nanny) spent a delightful week here in early May. The location is peaceful, yet central to everything in the Luberon region. The property is truly well appointed and maintained in a manner that belies its rental status. Comfortable with room for kids to play both inside and out --- yet attractive in a tasteful, high-quality and non-fussy way. Owners and on-site caretaker were genuinely helpful, yet totally non-intrusive. Our three year old still goes on about our "France house" --- and we wish it were ours!
Recommended for: Age 55+, Girls Getaway, Sightseeing, Families with Teena
From the Owner
“We have for many years talked about and wanted to have a house in Provence. Ideally, we wanted to restore and old Mas as this is what we believe we are good at. We spent lots of time during our holidays browsing Estate Agent's windows and deciding exactly where we would like to buy a property, we narrowed the area down to the beautiful Luberon Valley and just about where we did manage to find this lovely old house, which we believe is perfectly situated. It is within easy reach of the beautiful hill top villages and a large market town which is only 8km away. The restoration of the mas and the gardens tested our patience and pockets way beyond our initial estimation but we got there in the end and are thrilled with the result of our labours, both mental and physical!”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Cookery lessons can be arranged, also painting lessons both according to availability.
The nearest beach is about an hours drive away and is near Marseilles, there are quite a few different beaches along that part of the coast. Cassis, which is a delightful old fashioned port, is about 1.5 hours drive away and a good place to spend the day and enjoy a picnic and boat trip to the Calanques. It has many cafes and great fish restaurants in the port.
Avignon TGV Station and the Airport are about 45 mins drive away. Marseilles airport approximately an hours drive away and is served by BA, Easyjet and Ryanair. Nimes airport at Garons is 1.5 hours drive away and is served by Ryanair and Belgian Airways. Nice Airport is about 2.5 hours away by car.
The bustling town of Apt is 10 mins drive away and the Saturday morning market is a must! Avignon is about 45 mins by car and is the historic 'Papal City'. Aix en Provence is approximately 45 to 50 minutes away by car and is well worth a visit, there are great shops masses of cafes and restaurants and so much to see. Just wander through the leafy streets and you will enjoy this city with its abundance of fountains, we think it's like a mini Paris!
Roussillon, world famous for it's ochre, still mined today, is 3 mins away by car or a pleasant walk up the hill! Bonnieux, on the other side is approx 7 mins drive. The house is centrally located for easy access to the 'Pearls' of the Luberon (the gorgeous and picturesque hilltop villages). It takes 20 mins by car to L'Ille sur la Sorge, famous for it's Sunday antique and bricabrac market, where one can wander and watch and marvel at the eclectic mix of both goods for sale and people! Then sit by the Sorge and relax in one of the multitude of restaurants and bars and watch the world go by. There is so much to see and do here in the beautiful Luberon Park or just do nothing and drink it all in. Succour for the soul! There are plenty of ATM machines around. Everything one could require is available in Apt. Roussillon and Bonnieux have boulangeries and lots of interesting shops of many different kinds and each has a Post Office. Doctors and Pharmacy are available in both villages.
There are also lots of restaurants and bars in each village ranging from the bar tabac to gourmet style, serving all tastes and requirements.
There are many local Chateaux or Caves around in the area where one can freely taste an amazing variety of wines from very high quality to 'plonk'. And of course the Famous Chateau Canorgue, where the Film 'A Good Year' was filmed, the wine here is excellent. Markets are held each week in a selection of villages close by. Walking, cycling and nearby golf. For the more adventurous, a magnificent trip in a hot air balloon can be arranged! Provence provides a constant stream of satisfaction for the senses - in particular, sight, scent and taste. A magical, soft yet clear light illuminates the extraordinary contrasts of nature. One is surrounded by the sweetness of local fruit ripened in the sun, the freshness of rose` wines and the plethora of creamy goats cheese. The balmy air is scented with wild rosemary, sage, pine and lavender.
- Booking Notes:
Bookings may be made by email or fax. We ask for 30% of the rental fee as a reservation deposit. The cleared balance is payable six weeks prior to arrival along with the security deposit of £1,000, which is of course refundable, normally within a week of departure.
Changeover day is Saturday, arrival time is after 4pm departure time is before 10am. Other days and times may be considered.
Notes on prices:
Prices are for the property per week in UK pounds.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“La Grande Terre is conveniently located and also has beautiful views across the countryside to the Luberon mountains and Roussillon. We don't feel cut off here but at the same time have total privacy and tranquility.”
- Ceiling Fans
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Heated Pool
- Private Pool
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 3 - Shower Enclosure
- All bathrooms are en-suite. Bathroom 1 with Philippe Stark freestanding bath, washbasin, bidet and w.c. and is very spacious. Bathrooms to bedrooms 2, 3, & 4 have shower, wash basin, and w.c. Bathroom 5 has a bath, washbasin and w.c.
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 10
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 10 (5 Bedrooms + Extra Bed in Larger Rooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with King size bed plus single. This is a very large bedroom with a large bathroom en-suite. Bedroom 2 with King Size bed plus single. Bedroom 3 double bed. Bedroom 4 double bed. Bedroom 5 double bed. There are also 2 baby cots available.
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: The pool has an automatic cover which provides safety for small children. There is ample secure parking, including covered area for four cars. There is an efficient central heating system for winter visitors. Outside: The house is beautifully set in seven acres and surrounded by vines, a lavender field is directly to the front of the house and cherry orchards are close by. There is plenty of room around the south-facing pool, which is equipped with sun beds and chairs, to sunbathe and relax. There are good facilities for barbeque and al fresco eating. If you are an early visitor, the poppy fields are quite stunning thereafter the lavender takes over and perhaps sunflowers and of course the omnipresent vines! The swimming pool which has heating should it be required. measuring 10 x 5 metres, is brand new and completely private and for the use of the house only and has a safety cover for children. There is a good BBQ, large dining table, boules and table tennis. There are other 'quieter' terraces providing shade for reading and relaxing or taking an aperitif. Paradise! Utility Room: Large sink, washing machine, dryer, iron and ironing board and clothes maiden. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All bed linen, towels and pool towels are included. Maid service included and a bathroom clean and towel change midweek Electricity included. A chef can be available at extra cost, enquiries should be made beforehand if possible. babysitting also. Other: Exterior "Summer Kitchen" by the pool,which is fully equipped for 'al fresco' dining and has a Weber barbecue, sink fridge and dining table and chairs. Additional shady terrace under the lime tree for dining, sitting and relaxing. Pool/gardens maintained.