Rural Cottage near Loja, Granada, Spain - Suit Country Lovers, Wildlife, Walking, Photography, Relaxing
A renovated 3 bedroom rural cottage with masses of character and home comforts. There is a roomy salt-water pool alongside a spacious terrace also a shady patio and private balconies, all well supplied with tables and chairs. La Paz is one of a number of small cottages spread out alongside a country road, all set among olive groves and overlooking open countryside. Open upland of the Sierras de Loja and Tejeda lie to the south and beyond is the Mediterranean; to the east is the fertile Granada plain, watered by the Rio Genil which flows all year round fed by snow from the Sierra Nevada; to the north lie farming country, olive groves, and more mountains. A few miles away is ancient Loja, beloved of the Moors who lived here over 600 years ago, with its restored Alcazaba, churches and museum. For everyday shopping, cafes and small restaurants Huétor Tájar, the centre of a renowned asparagus and artichoke growing area, is just down the road. Please see website for more information.
Top Traveller Review
A Wonderfully Relaxing Holiday
About the Owner
We decided to share buying this house as we are passionate about the culture, history and landscapes of southern Spain. We were thrilled when we found this inland property because we aren't keen on the characterless coastal development of recent years. Western Granada Province - the Poniente Granadino - is straightforward to get to but unspoilt: still the 'real Spain'. From our house it is easy to get to Granada, Cordoba and Seville, plus there are many other places we've not yet had time to see. We never get tired of visiting the house ourselves and love its rural surroundings. Our ethos is to be fair to people but cover our costs so we charge the same rate all through the year, and charge per person so this doesn't penalise families forced to take their holiday in July and August.
Guestbook comments from the owner
'What a grand place in a fine, quiet rural setting! House beautifully clean and well-equipped with everything to make us feel welcome.'
'Loja is really interesting - we spent a whole day visiting the sights there. We definitely want to come back.'
'The cottage is ideal – a perfect mix of all mod cons, full equipment etc and homely comfort.'
'Had a lovely day with Mick, bird watching. Could not believe how much was going on around us as we walked, even the kids became enthusiastic.'
'Back soon - there is such a lot still to see and do.'
'Wonderful, relaxed week with the weather hotter than expected for end October. Swimming a tad chilly by this time of year but worth the effort.'
'The scenery roundabout is spectacular. The Sierra Martilla are awesome and the panoramic view around the necropolis unbelievable. Could do with another week!'
...We had such a wonderful week; your cottage was perfect for us. We have had a number of people returning for another visit.
1 holidaymaker review
A Wonderfully Relaxing Holiday
As a family we are now very fond of La Paz and the views I express are shared by all five of us. I knew when I communicated with the friendly owners that I could rely on the house description being accurate and sensed they wanted their guests to take care of it as they would themselves. Jan very patiently gave detailed responses to my many enquiries as we were deciding on choice of holiday house which would suit someone with mobility issues. The pricing system is so very fare and economical too. The house has a clean, cosy, lived in charm with just the right degree of privacy. Its layout, inside and out, is aesthetically very appealing too. The clean, clear, salt water pool is an absolute delight in the very dry heat. La Paz, we found, is a wonderful place to relax - or chilax as my daughter calls it. Every night we ate out on the lovely patio and were entertained by some variety of wild life be it A gekko, sparrow hawk, owl and bats. The setting in the olive groves lends a unique rural charm and if we wanted to know anything about the wild life, where to visit, best route to take or what wine to buy in the excellent local supermarket, Mick, the appointed caretaker and wild life expert was always on hand. Never intrusive we felt reassured by him living nearby. Granada, Loja, Sierra Nevada and many small villages with their tapas bars were visited by us and we found the travel straightforward. There are good, inexpensive fish restaurants on the coast too. Having by now spent holidays in many European countries we reckon that in La Paz we found a wonderful house in a real Spanish setting so far removed from the 'other' Spain. I would recommend La Paz to anyone wishing to sample a wee bit of rural Spain while having a really relaxing holiday too. I should say that from my own point of interest there is ample mountaineering and rock climbing within relatively short distances and climbing the Veleta and Mulhacan just easy hillwalks albeit above 11,000 feet! However we could still have had a splendid vacation without moving far from the house and Heutar Tajar (for provisions). However it would be a huge omission to ignore the local history, culture, geology, nature, etc on the doorstep. This is why we are returning next year. Recommend it!
From the Owner
“We bought a house here because we wanted a base to explore Andalusia's historical heritage, archaeology, wildlife and geology besides having relaxing holidays in the sun. Although we had looked at other places we fell in love with this house because of its rural Spanish setting (though not difficult to reach) and because from here you can visit so many places of interest as well as relax in the countryside. We loved the old Spanish feel of the house and that there was so much space for sitting outside and, in the summer, living outside in the large and airy patio. We have had masses of delighted feedback from people who have stayed at La Paz and believe anyone who wants a holiday that is not only relaxing but interesting as well will enjoy staying here.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Professional bird-watching and natural history guided tours with our neighbour Mick. See our website.
The closest Mediterranean beaches are on the Costa Tropical south of Granada. There are beach areas at nearby reservoirs (Iznajar, Bermajales).
Up to 1.5 hours from Malaga airport Allow up to 1.5 days from Santander/Bilbao or 2-3 days from Channel ports, especially if you want to explore along the way. You will need a car to get around when you are there, but there are trains from Loja (San Francisco station) to Granada and Antequera and also Bobadilla junction to the west where there are connections to Malaga, Seville and Cordoba. A short drive to Loja and Huétor Tájar.
Local towns are Loja 8 miles and Huétor Tájar 3 miles. All the major historical Andalucian cities are easily reached by motorway: Granada – 30 miles; Antequera – 30 miles; Malaga – 50 miles; Cordoba 105 miles; Seville – 130 miles/2 hrs. Sierra Nevada ski resort 50 miles (mainly motorway).
Shopping: There are supermarkets and smaller shops in both Loja (Mercadona, Dia%, Lidl) and Huétor Tájar (Mercadona). Both places have banks with ATMs. Baker calls daily at about 8.30am. Other mobile shops call weekly. Eating and drinking: Bars in La Fabrica or at Cuatro Caminos (20 minute walk); restaurants in Huetor Tajar and Loja. For more details about outings and excursions and places of interest please visit our website. Briefly, Sierra de Loja (walking, climbing, mountain biking etc) and Sierras de Tejeda and Almijara (adventure sports) lie between here and the coast. Sierra Nevada for skiing and mountain walking. Sierras Subbeticas Natural Park, a member of the European Geopark network, is just to the north: it has more than 16 geologically significant sites as well as archaeological remains including cave paintings. There is an Eco-Museum and 9 trails. El Torcal - the renowned limestone karst landscape, is to the west, near Antequera. Visit the Alhambra and other sights in Granada. See the Mezquita in Cordoba and explore Moorish remains at Madinat al-Zahra. Extensive collection of leaflets, guidebooks and maps available at the house to help you make the most of your stay.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
|Notes: Rates are based on 2 guests; add £8 per night, per additional guest|
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
We charge a basic rate for 2 people, which is £280 for a week. Then we add £56 per person per week to the basic charge for additional people.
Check availability then email owner who will answer any further questions and send you a booking form. A deposit is required. Full payment required 6 weeks before arrival. Cancellation charges - more than 8 weeks prior to arrival - no charge. 4-8 weeks prior to arrival 50% total rental rate. When full payment is received the directions and welcome arrangements will be sent to you.
Please enquire for next year's prices
Flexible changeover day; flexible length of stay: weeks, fortnights, weekends and short breaks.
Notes on prices:
Prices are for the property per week in UK Pounds - not affected by the Euro rate!
We don't penalize families by raising the price at holiday time! Also the price depends upon the number of people on the assumption that 2 people don't create as much cleaning and washing as 4 or 6!!. We do expect people to be fair and respect our property and leave it as they found it.
Gas, wood and electricity all included.
We require a deposit of £100 to secure your booking.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Because we use the house regularly ourselves it not only has a truly 'home from home' feel but we have stocked it well with local maps, natural history books and guide books (besides some holiday reading) so that we - and you - can pursue these interests here. A real bonus is 'our man in La Realenga' who not only looks after the house, with his wife, but leads bespoke wildlife tours as well! We demolished the ramshackle old goat and chicken sheds and built the terrace and pool in the space that made, Choosing a saltwater system since it is so much kinder to skin and hair than 'chemical pools'. We price fairly so our charges are dependent upon the number of people staying. This means that if there only 2 it is cheaper than if there are 6 of you as there will be less cleaning/washing to do!”
- Ceiling Fans
- Heating ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Kitchen ...
- Pantry Items ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- Games ...
- Toys ...
- Video Library
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool ...
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- bird watching
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Shower room 1 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 3 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- En-suite to main bedroom with shower, wash basin and wc. En-suite to second bedroom with shower, wash basin and wc. En-suite to family room with shower, wash basin and wc.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: All rooms en-suite. Bedroom 1 twin beds, balcony overlooks pool, olive grove, hills. Bedroom 2 twin beds, views over olive grove. Family bedroom 3 double bed, single bed + pull-out; travel cot avble; door to large roof terrace, views to Sierra Nevada.
- Terrace ...
- Golf ...
- Veranda ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: Please look at our website, where you will see much more information about La Paz. There is a wood burner in the living room (logs supplied) and heaters in kitchen-diner and all bedrooms for the cooler weather. Fans in all rooms for the hot weather. Whilst the property is suitable for children provided they are properly supervised in the pool area, it would not be ideal for teenagers (or their parents!) who are looking for a lively holiday. A secure property with walls and gates; the lower pool terrace can be fenced off if you have toddlers. We try to be fair with our pricing so charge less for fewer people BUT we do hope that people are fair to us so therefore leave the house as they find it. Outside: La Paz is one of a number of small cottages spread out along a narrow country road. It is entered from this road through gates (off-road parking here and in car port) and down a gently sloping drive. A large covered patio lies between the cottage and the road; table and chairs; built in seating, sink. Steps down to large paved terrace beside 7.5 x 3.5 m unheated salt-water swimming pool (usable from late April to October). Table, chairs, loungers, built in seating. Pool is overlooked by small secluded balcony (bistro set for 2) off master bedroom. Further large balcony with views to Sierra Nevada opens off upstairs bedroom (table, chairs). Outbuilding, with storage for pool toys and patio furniture, at far end of pool terrace. Behind the property is a slope with fruit trees and oleanders down to a stream bed and there are olive groves on the far side of this. There is a box of children's' toys, including pool toys. Utility Room: Separate utility room off terrace with washing machine and wc. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All towels and linen are supplied including beach/pool towels. Cleaned before arrival and after departure; can be cleaned during stay for extra charge. Welcome pack can be arranged. Our helpful caretakers live nearby if you have any questions. Other: Heaters and fans in kitchen, living room, all bedrooms. H & C water and electricity throughout. No smoking inside the house. Pets by agreement with owners. Good supply of guide books, maps, natural history and bird books etc, plenty of holiday novels.