Rural, Peaceful But Not Isolated Location, 10 mins To Local Towns
l'Hermitage is a charming, comfortable cottage set in a peaceful, pretty location just over the border of the Gers into the Haute Pyrenees, therefore offering easy access to all that both areas offer. From sleepy villages and bastides set amongst rolling hills patchworked with vines and sunflower fields to the majestic Pyrenees, both ideal for touring, walking and cycling. Close by is the pretty town of Marciac dating back to the 13th century with its picturesque square surrounded by arched walkways with shops, restaurants, bars and cafes. It is perhaps best known for its jazz festival held for 2 weeks every August. In July you will also find a country music festival in Mirande and tempo latino at Vic Fezensac. Nearby there are opportunities to play tennis, horse ride and partake in water sports. For golfers 'golf due Chateau de Pallanne' set in lovely countryside is only 15 mins drive.
Top Traveller Review
We aim to provide the level of service which we would hope to experience ourselves.
Would be lovely to receive this family in the future.
Ian and Gill
About the Owner
Guestbook comments from the owner
5 based on 15 holidaymaker reviews
I can thoroughly recommend this house to anybody. The owners have thought of everything to make your stay enjoyable, convenient & relaxing. We have been to many holiday houses in France over the years and this was the best equipped. It was also spotlessly clean and very well presented. There were some nice touches too, with a bottle of wine on arrival as well as some food in the cupboards and fridges. There were 8 of us for a week at l'hermitage, my wife and I and six young adults aged between 18 and 24. We all had great fun in the pool which is a reasonably good size. It helped that the weather was a constantly sunny 30C + all week. It is very quiet and private. When we were not by the pool or playing games or eating around the barbecue area, we were visiting local markets. The whole area is lovely. I recommend a drive down to the Pyrenees although it takes a fair time to get right into the mountains. There are some delightful little towns around, including Marciac just a few kilometers away. We will definitely be going back one day.
A beautiful property in a wonderful area of France
We could not have wished for a more warm and welcoming place to stay. The house and outside eating areas were clean and comfortable, and the pool was wonderful, clean and with plenty of loungers. The house a home not a gite with everything we needed.
Plenty of places to visit and very good restaurants a short drive away.
Thank you Gill and Ian for sharing your little piece of paradise.
Jo and Jaye
Perfect Family Holiday!
We had a fantastic week at L'Hermitage. Everything went incredibly smoothly with our arrival, and the gite, gardens and pool were immaculate. There was more than we needed of everything - most hotels would struggle to provide so many sun loungers and parasols - and the layout of the gite was perfect for us allowing grandparents to stay downstairs whilst we had the upstairs with the children. We honestly couldn't have asked for more. Thank you so much Gill & Ian!
Five stars from us!
We very much enjoyed our restful week here in very peaceful surroundings and were more than happy to take things easy by the lovely pool. Everything was as it should be and the house was very comfortable and well equipped with plenty of space to sit and unwind after a day out or indeed for the whole day! Many thanks to the owners and the team looking after the house, garden and pool, who were all friendly and helpful - would certainly recommend!
A hidden gem!
The absolutely splendid L'hermitage, tucked away in a valley between Maubourget and Marciac, lives up to its name, a tranquil and secluded place. Gill Brennan has made sure that the house is so well laid out and equipped and so superbly maintained that the three weeks we were fortunate enough to stay here whizzed by without any undue stresses whatsoever. The pool, maintained by Zac, is sparkling clean and refreshing, the garden is a delight with plenty of welcome shady areas and the overall state of the house is a great credit to Sally ( a fellow Zim) who couldn't have been more helpful. If you want a quiet recluse, this is perfect but if you want a variety of activities, (lakes, forest walks, Pyrenees, Lourdes, Atlantic beaches, vineyards etc...) these are also not too far away. Supermarkets with all you need are less than 10 minutes away as well. The delightful and friendly town of Marciac comes alive in July and August with an international Jazz Festival. Would I recommend L'hermitage? Yes of course I would but, selfishly, not too loudly as we would hate the "best house in France" to be booked out for the dates we want next year!!!!
more than a great stay
We've just spent 15 days un l'Hermitage and really had a very nice stay. House is charming, fully equipied, and very well kept. On top, owners are really careful, and lots of details make you instantaneously feel good.
Surroundings are really quiet, great swimmingpool and the garden has the perfect size, with no neighbourgs at sight, despite a non isolated villa.
One very important thing during summer: you can easily find shade at any moment of the day (special mention to the summer kitchen!).
As we are french, we did not read all the books neither watch DVD, but for sure it is once again a very positive point of the house!
We definitly would recommand the place to anybody.
Caroline & JP
Activity and Interests
Biarritz with its sun, sea and sophistication (180km).
Just down the coast from Biarritz is St Jean-de-Luz, a smaller more traditional french seaside resort.
Just over the border into Spain is San Sebastian (231km).
Bordeaux (2 hrs 10 mins, 204km) - Toulouse (1 hour 50mins -2 hrs, 133km). - Pau (1 hour 60km). - Carcassonne (2 hrs 40 mins, 226km) Tarbes/Lourdes (45-50 mins, 45km) - Biarritz 2hrs, 190km.
Marciac 10 min drive for shops, restaurants, bars, cafes, bank, PO, chemist. Lake.
Maubourguet 15 min drive for all you would expect from a small town including a good size supermarket.
Auch, the old Gallo-Roman capital of Gascony 55km.
Lourdes, famous for its pilgrimages 52km.
The Pyrenees for walking, climbing, skiing etc, from 40km.
Spain via the Pyrenees (2 hours).
Toulouse. Sightseeing, shopping, Cite-Espace 130km.
Nogaro Race Track. Car, bike and truck racing 36km.
The area offers lots of places to eat out with duck and armagnac the local specialities. Madrian wines are the local appellation.
Marciac, 15 minutes drive, has a number of good restaurants. Look for the excellent midday 'menu de jour' for around 11-13 euros, often including wine. Ranging from very traditional, candel lit rooms to more modern style bar/restaurants with music. You will find something to suit all tastes and ages
There is also a good range of restaurants and bars in Maubourgeut and Plaisence 15 minutes drive.
Just outside Marciac you will find a lake which offers some water sports in the summer months. It also has a swimming pool. The floating restaurant 'La Peniche offers good food in a lovely setting. You will also find Restaurant 'Zic' here.
For shopping outside the immediate area try Tarbes or Pau.
There is a large E. Leclerc supermarket at Aire sur Adour and on the N21 route to Tarbes. Both about 35 mins drive.
These details and more are supplied in the owners manual which can be found in the property.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
Rate 1 Early Summer
1 Jul 2017 - 14 Jul 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Rate 2 High Summer
15 Jul 2017 - 1 Sep 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Rate 3 Late Summer
2 Sep 2017 - 8 Sep 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£300|
25% deposit at time of booking, balance 8 weeks before arrival. If booking within 8 weeks, full payment required. Refundable bond of £300 is required with final payment.
Saturday. Arrival 4pm. Depart 10am.
Notes on prices:
Prices are for the property per week in UK Pounds.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Dishwasher ...
- Freezer ...
- Kitchen ...
- Microwave ...
- Oven ...
- Pantry Items ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Hob ...
- Toaster ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Music Library
- Satellite / Cable
- Video Games
- Video Library
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool ...
- children welcome ...
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- live theatre
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness centre
- laundrette - serviced
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- fly fishing
- freshwater fishing
- golf pass optional
- mountain biking
- mountain climbing
- ski lift pass
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, Situated next to the rear bedroom.
- Bathroom on ground floor with corner bath, separate shower cubicle, vanity sink and toilet. Shower room, next to bedroom 2 on ground floor with shower cubicle, vanity sink and toilet. Both are supplied with hairdryers and laundry baskets.
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Double Bed, 1 Cot, Themed in lilac with a lovely veiw of the garden
- Bedroom 2 - 1 Double Bed, Situated conveiniently next to the shower room.
- Bedroom 4 - 2 Single Bed, On 2nd floor, small but with comfy beds and pretty bed linen
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 8 (4 Bedrooms) + Baby Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1, double bed overlooking the garden. Bedroom 2, double bed next to the shower room. Bedroom 3, double bed with feature exposed beams and cot. Bedroom 4, small twin. All bedrooms have ample storage and are equipped with fans. Linen is provided, is colour co-ordinated and will be changed at the end of each week along the the towels. Linen is not provided for the cot but it does have a good quality protector.
- Terrace ...
- Golf ...
- Garden ...
- Barbecue ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
- Tennis ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: The accommodation layout, fixtures and fittings have been chosen by the owners to ensure a comfortable and relaxing stay for both themselves and those who choose to spend their holidays there. Renovations in 2010 include new large terrace leading to all weather BBQ and relaxing area. Outside: The large garden surrounding the property is mainly laid to lawn with a large car parking area to the side. To the south facing front of the L shaped property is a wrap around terrace with access to the kitchen and living room. Here you will find a small table and chairs and a large table seating 8 for that early morning coffee and breakfast. Newly constructed for 2010, the all weather BBQ/relaxing area is great all through the day. The summer kitchen is very close by as is access to the hidden clothes drying area. The 10.5 x 4.2 private pool is in the south east corner of the garden provides all day sun and seclution for sunbathing. There is a table and chairs and plenty of sun beds for all visitors to top up their tan and should you prefer some shade there are the oak and willow trees and the covered BBQ area. Utility Room: The utility/summer kitchen is accessed from the dining terrace and BBQ area. It is equipped with sink, gas hob, fridge/freezer (ideal for your stock of beer and wine), washing machine, iron, ironing board, cleaning equipment and pots and pans. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Bed linen and towels are included in the price but please note that 'pool' towels are not supplied! Price includes linen change once a week for 2 or more week stays. Wine, juice, bread, milk, butter, tea, coffee and sugar make up the welcome pack. Other: The mezzanine is accessed from the feature open stairs in the living room and leads to bedrooms 3 and 4. It is equipped with 2 comfy chairs, reading lamps, jigsaws and a well stocked book case.