Villa in Verteillac, Dordogne - In Wildlife Conservation Area, Peaceful, Quiet, Restful And Safe For Children
Within sight of Verteillac, this traditional house has been renovated to a high standard, and provides a 'home from home' for your holiday. The house has 5 double bedrooms, all with en suite facilities, and a child's folding bed and cots can also be provided. With one ground floor bedroom, this house is also suitable for assisted disabled persons with direct access to the outside. Set in a conservation area with local walks to fishing ponds, there are also many other activities close by, including canoeing, horse riding, tennis and rambling. You can immediately start to relax and enjoy your holiday on arrival. The 10 x 5 metre non-chlorinated pool has easy access steps which are safe for both children and adults alike and there is a patio area with BBQ for al fresco dining. There is plenty car parking space, bikes, table tennis table and boules provided and the enclosed grounds provide a safe and secure area for both children and pets.
About the Owner
I worked all my life in London in a high pressured environment with lots of responsibilities. I visited France often and enjoyed the lifestyle very much. Once I had acquired this place I fully appreciated the peace and quiet during my visits, so when I retired I decided to move to France permanently and have never regretted my decision. I now live in the south of France, remote from this house in Verteillac, but have a great team who meet and greet my guests, maintain the gardens and pool and look after the house when I cannot be there. I love to revisit the whole area in spring when the fields of orchids are in bloom and at the end of the letting season to enjoy the changing autumnal colours.
Guestbook comments from the owner
"We had a wonderful stay and the food provided was delicious. Thank you very much for your hospitality"
"A wonderful holiday home, very well equipped and we enjoyed every minute of our stay"
"Best family holiday we have ever had. The pool is delightful and totally safe for children"
"The house and pool have been fantastic - everything we could have asked for"
"Thank you for a wonderful two weeks and special thanks for all your extra efforts for the children which were very much appreciated. Your meals were delicious and appreciated by all our friends and family"
"Thank you so much for your help with the lost passport. We would not have managed without your local knowledge and much appreciated assistance"
"The best family holiday we have ever had...and we are booking again for next year"
From the Owner
“When I first visited this area in the late 1990s, whilst playing golf at a nearby course, I totally I fell in love with the rolling green hills, fields of sunflowers, maize as high as an elephants eye, and the peace and calm to be found almost everywhere. I found this house when on a brief tour of the district and decided to buy it as it was within one days travelling from Dorset where I lived. I visited many times bringing my two dogs with me once the Pet Passport scheme was set up, always returning to the UK refreshed and rested as the area is so peaceful. When I retired in 2004, I decide to make La Source my main house and moved here lock, stock and barrel, and invested my hard earned savings into developing this house from a two bed-roomed, one bath-roomed holiday home, into the lovely house you will find today. With 5 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms, sleeping 10 people in total comfort, you will go far before finding another such property so well furnished as a family home, not a bare boards gite, like so many other properties you can find around this highly sought after area.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
This is a wonderful area for watching wildlife, especially flora in the form of wild orchids for which this area is famous in the spring and early summer months, and butterflies of all colours and descriptions can be found from early in the season until late October. There are locally organised rambles to see the orchids and these can be arranged in advance if required.
An incredible variety of moths have also been listed and recorded on site. The wildlife garden on site attracts all sorts of insects and birds throughout the year. Some of the birds regularly seen on site are bull finches, gold finches, green finches, jays, hoopoes, golden orielles, great tits, blue tits, robins, wrens and many birds of prey including owls and harriers. There are also bats during the summer months to watch swooping for insects in the early evening dusk. Frogs, toads, dragonflies, and damson flies also visit the ponds.
Approximately 1 and a half hour drive to La Rochelle, but there are other areas where sandy beaches are created on the banks of the rivers here in the Dordogne for children to enjoy. Details of these can be provided on request.
Approximately 6 hours drive from Cherbourg, Caen or Le Havre on excellent motorways. Bergerac airport is one hour south, Angouleme one hour north, Limoges and Poitiers are 2 hours north, and Bordeaux approximately 2 hours to the south west.
Full directions are provided with all bookings, including the lat/long references for Satnav systems.
Within sight of Verteillac, approximately 1km away, an easy walk or cycle. Riberac is 11km to the south which has a range of shops, supermarkets and a wonderful weekly fresh food market, the best in the Dordogne. Other markets can also be found in nearby towns and villages. Many lovely places to visit are within a short drive, Angouleme, Brantome, Marieul, Perigueuex and Bergerac all being well worth a visit.
Verteillac is well supplied with shops and has a Bank, a baker, a butcher, a chemist, a paper shop, two hairdressing salons, two restaurants, three cafes, two Brocantes, a public WiFi system, an excellent general food store, and a small weekly market. Large supermarkets can be found in Riberac for all you needs and the shops in Bergerac and Perigueux are certainly worth a visit for retail therapy. The Night Market in Verteillac, usually held on the last week of July is a great venue for arts and crafts, and there are usually jazz bands and music to suit all tastes. Al fresco dining is available from the three eateries in the village and this occasion attracts many visitors from far and wide too. There are also many Fete Champetre events at the various villages surrounding Verteillac to be enjoyed, some of which offer an evenings entertainment of food and dancing for a small outlay. Try the moules evening at Coutures, or the escargots event at Bertric Buree, neither to be missed by gastronomes.
Caneoing can be found at nearby Riberac and Brantome where you can paddle down the river Dronne for several miles. Horse riding is available here in the village and at Riberac and all abilities can be catered for. A permit is necessary to fish in the local ponds and this can be bought in the village too.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
6 May 2017 - 30 Jun 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
1 Jul 2017 - 2 Sep 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£300|
A contract will be written and sent by email to the principal guests, which sets out the dates of rental, the deposit payment and when it must be paid, and the balance payment too. This contract must be signed and returned to the owner promptly and confirmation of the booking will be sent by email to the principal guest once the deposit money has been received. Please note deposits are non-refundable and the house can only be re-let to others with the owners full permission.
It is the guests responsibility to clean the house before leaving. Failure to do so will result in part or all of the deposit money being withheld. Full details of what is required is contained in the contract document
Changeover days are Saturdays. The house is available from 4pm, although the pool can be used immediately on arrival and the leaving time is 10am. Final cleaning can be arranged at an additional cost if required.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“With a lovely big pool, completely safe for children with a child proof fence all round, you also can discover the total peace and quiet here at La Source. Situated as it is at the end of a chemin rural, set between open fields in a small hameau, I would describe it as "secluded but not isolated" being within sight of Verteillac with south facing garden and unrestricted views. The village provides all your day to day needs and you can cycle, walk or drive the kilometre to the baker, butcher, general store, bank, cafes, restaurants, hairdressers, paper shop or post office. The whole garden is fenced and gated, so children and dogs can be contained and have half an acre to run free in, and there is also a fenced and gated wildlife garden, housing two ponds, attracting birds, butterflies and other wildlife, and there is lots of space for vehicles in the circular driveway under the yew and linden trees. The gardens are laid to lawn, with mature trees so that you are not overlooked and privacy is maintained.”
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Air Conditioning ...
- Fireplace ...
- Hair Dryer
- Heating ...
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Telephone ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Washing Machine ...
- Wood Stove ...
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Dishwasher ...
- Freezer ...
- Kitchen ...
- Microwave ...
- Oven ...
- Pantry Items ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Hob ...
- Toaster ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- DVD Player ...
- Games ...
- Music Library ...
- Ping Pong Table
- Satellite / Cable ...
- Stereo ...
- Television ...
- Toys ...
- Video Library ...
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool ...
- children welcome ...
- non smoking only ...
- pets considered ...
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair accessible ...
- bird watching
- horse riding
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- freshwater fishing
- 200 m²
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 4 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 5 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- En suite to bedroom 1, shower, bidet, handbasin and wc. En suite to bedrooms 2 and 5, bath with shower attachment, handbasin and wc. En suite to bedroom 3 and 4, shower, handbasin and wc.
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 10
- Bedroom 5 - 1 Double Bed, En suite WC, bath and hand basin
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Large Double Bed, 1 Cot, En suite shower room with bidet, WC and hand basin
- Bedroom 2 - 2 Single Bed, En suite bathroom with WC and hand basin
- Bedroom 3 - 1 Double Bed, En suite shower room with WC and hand basin
- Bedroom 4 - 2 Single Bed, En suite shower room with WC and hand basin
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 10 adults + 2cots (5 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with large double bed Bedroom 2 with standard double bed Bedroom 3 with standard double bed Bedroom 4 with twin beds Bedroom 5 with twin beds
- Bicycles ...
- Terrace ...
- Golf ...
- Kayak / Canoe ...
- Garden ...
- Barbecue ...
- Tennis ...
- 2 bicycles
- Notes on accommodation: This house is furnished to a high standard being the owners main residence, and it is fully equipped with all mod cons and equipment. This house and pool are particularly suitable for children of all ages, with easy access, enclosed staircases and a child proof fence surrounding the pool. Children are catered for as small trikes and bikes are provided as well as two adult bikes, and there is also a Wendy house and small chairs for the very young. High chairs and a child gate are also available on site. The pool is non-chlorinated using an extract of salt water as the disinfecting agent, making this a delight to use as there are none of the nasty side effects found with chlorine, such as stinging eyes. The gardens are totally fenced with plenty shaded parking space, and an enclosed wildlife area containing two fish ponds. Gas central heating is also available for early and late season lets at an additional cost. Outside: This property is not overlooked, private but not isolated. Set amid fields in a conservation area, this is the ideal spot for peace and quiet with the village of Verteillac clearly seen 1km away from the garden. Externally there is a large enclosed and child-safe terrace surrounding the pool where sun loungers are available. There is a large shaded patio area outside the kitchen and dining room with a BBQ for al fresco dining or simply to relax and get away from the mid day sun. There are two small fish ponds in the garden, in a walled and gated area, where there is a small patio area under an lovely linden tree and more shade can also be found under the spreading walnut tree branches. All areas are private, secure and enclosed. The table tennis equipment has proved to be very popular, and the bikes provided allow holidaymakers to cycle into Verteillac for stores, or around the conservation area which contains fishing ponds and picnic areas. Utility Room: Clothes washing machine in located in kitchen. Cleaning / Towels / Linen: All house linen, sheets, pillow cases, tea towels are provided. Bathroom towels, hand towels and tea towels also provided. Please bring your own swimming towels for use at the pool. Linen changed mid-stay for 2 week lets. Other: Shaded patio dining area, seats 10, with BBQ and external lighting for late dining. Terrace around pool for relaxing and sun loungers, further shaded area by fish ponds in walled garden for quiet relaxation. Horse riding also available locally.