Plettenberg Bay, Garden Route, South Africa - Tranquil and Private, 10 mins Walk to Beach
This newly refurbished and tastefully decorated property is located 7km east of Plettenberg Bay - the 'Jewel of the Garden Route'. From this tranquil location guests can explore all the attractions that have made this beautiful bay famous. The temperate climate here allows for visiting throughout the year, depending if you enjoy a peaceful retreat during the short winter or a bustling holiday destination during the summer. This 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom property is set in the tranquil surrounds of the Silver Ranch estate - a 17 hectare privately owned estate with 52 houses constructed around a fenced game field hosting blesbuck and springbuck. Guests have access to the large and well maintained common grounds and swimming pool (not heated). A 10 minute walk along a private foot path connects you to the dunes and a stunning beach. The large loft room with 4 more beds allows for a convenient play area for children. Shorter stays can be arranged. (See 'More photos')
About the Owner
As I live in London at present, Soné Fourie, who lives in Silver Ranch herself, manages the rental of Chalet 40 for me. I am a medical doctor, and my practice in London is limited to the administration of Conscious Sedation - 'twilight' sleep for out of hospital procedures.
Apart from that I am an avid photographer, and hopefully soon I shall have some of my black and white people photographs up in Chalet 40.
Your enquiry will be sent to both Soné and myself, but the actual booking confirmation will be processed by her, as the reservation list is kept locally with her in Plettenberg Bay.
Guestbook comments from the owner
'Thank you for a most enjoyable and relaxing stay at your comfortable and well equipped chalet' CS Beijing.
'We had a lovely time here in Plett, and your place really felt like 'home from home' What more can I say!' KF Port Elizabeth.
'Plett was a blast. The kids have never been so happy at the coast. We'll now have to go home to rest! Thanks for a lovely stay at your house. Sorry about all the shells that the kids left lying around' SW Cape Town.
'What a super fresh and clean appeal this place has. We had a most enjoyable week and will be back!' JRW Cardiff.
'We saw dolphins from up close!! Not to mention the monkeys that grabbed our sandwiches at the park. Thanks for your assistance to make our stay in Plettenberg Bay so memorable.' GH Bristol.
From the Owner
“I initially bought this house as an investment. I simply wanted to have a place of my own in this area, as this region was where I spent most of my holidays since the age of 12. With me relocating to London, short-term lets seemed the logical thing to do - that way I retained possession of this house in this most beautiful part of the South African coast line, and in doing so I still had access to go there whenever I wish to. Plettenberg Bay can get very crowded during the holiday season (December/January), and with this in mind I decided to purchase outside the main town. The locality of Silver Ranch is actually very central - equidistant from Plettenberg Bay town centre, and Keurbooms Strand, which hosts my favorite beaches and the place where I do most of my fishing and tanning:)”
Activity and Interests
Plettenberg Bay sports some of the finest beaches in SA and guests (who will usually visit here on their fly/drive holidays), can drive to a number of these jewels.
Those wishing to walk to the beach directly in front can do so by the private footpath. This 13km uninterrupted sandy beach allows for guests to hike all the way to the Keurbooms river lagoon mouth to observe the birdlife, or to walk east to Keurbooms Strand, where the plateau drops down to the sea, and the rocky coastline starts.
By car: Cape Town, 6 hours, Port Elizabeth, 2.5 hours, George, 1.5 hours via the N2 National Road.
By plane: George Airport, Port Elizabeth Airport.
Car hire: Owner can assist with car hire.
Cape Town, 480km, 1 hour flight to George.
Port Elizabeth, 200km.
George Airport, 90km.
Shamwari Game Reserve, 3.5 hour.
Johannesburg, 1.5 hour flight to George.
There is a plethora of things to see, do, taste and smell!
This a list of a few:
Elephant Sanctuary: Up close interactive experience, 12km.
Knysna Elephant Park: Feed and touch elephants, 20km.
Monkeyland: Experienced game rangers conduct mini-safaris amongst many species of monkeys and birds, 16km.
Buffalo Hills Game Reserve: Enjoy game drives among some of Africa's Big Five, 15km.
Rhino Base Camp - 4 of the 'Big Five' can be seen in the wild. Enjoy game drives or horse safaris in this 1300 hectare of indigenous forest and plains in this private nature reserve (Plett).
Ocean Blue Adventures: Conservation orientated marine eco-adventures: Legal whale and dolphin watching (Plett).
Ocean Safaris: Deep sea fishing trips, sea kayaking, scuba diving and whale watching (Plett).
African Ramble: Scenic and whale watching flights (Plett)
Oudtshoorn: Cango Caves and Ostrich Farms 2,5 hours driving
Smile High Paragliding School: 30km.
Helicopter Tours: Charters and hire 70km.
Outeniqua Biking Trails: Organised mountain biking for all levels of fitness 15km
Face Adrenalin: World's Highest Bungee Jumping at the Blaauwkrans bridge 30 km
Hogwarts: Horse riding along scenic sea view trails 4 km
Robberg Peninsula coastal walks: Learn about the indigenous flora and fauna, wreck site, geology, seal colony and stone-age strandloper caves (Plett)
Dolphin Adventures: Kayaking sea trips in the Bay amongst humpback and bottle nose dolphins, Cape Fur seals and Southern Right whales (May - Sep) (Plett).
Birds of Eden: Free-flight bird sanctuary in a 2 hectare dome over a gorge of indigenous forest 16km.
Keurbooms River Ferries and Canoes: Ferry rides or boat hire to explore the adjacent Keurbooms River gorge and nature reserve 1km.
For those who wish to sample some local cuisine, Plettenberg Bay, and especially Knysna, have numerous restaurants .
Apart from the boutique shops of these two towns, all groceries can be purchased at the Pick n Pay superstore (7km
- Booking Notes:
Please contact the owner by email or mobile.
20% of rental fee payable on reservation, with the balance to be paid 2 weeks prior to occupation.
A refundable damage deposit (cheque) of £100 will be requested 2 weeks prior to occupation.
Shorter or longer stays will be considered - liaise with the owner.
SA Rand paid in South African account (preferred), UK Pounds or Euros (paid into UK account).
Flexible changeover days. Departure time 11am. Arrival time after 2pm, but before 6pm.
Notes on prices:
Prices quoted in South African Rand, for total rental per night for 4 people.
Minimum stay 3 evenings, however, contact us should you wish to stay shorter.
Prices quoted are for 4 guests. ZAR 50 per person extra per night for more than 4 quests. Maximum 8 guests.
Overseas guests are not required to do expensive international transfers - please email us so that we can discuss payment options.
Unfortunately we are not equipped to handle credit or debit card payments.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Personally I feel that the property caters very well for the guests. It has a very 'clean' feel to it, is spacious enough, and with the recent renovations that I did, and the new kitchen appliances installed - it is fully functional and maintained as such. Ria has taken the garden to heart, and she looks after this as if it is her own. Recent water restrictions have made gardening difficult, but luckily due to her dedication my plants and lawn has survived, and survived well I have to add. With the access to 'our own beach' via the little bush path (safe), you should be able to enjoy something quite special during your stay here. Cosmopolitain Magazine rated this beach that is referred to as Long Beach as their 2nd most Special Beach in a 1996 issue.”
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Communal Pool
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- children welcome
- pets considered
- smoking allowed
- wheelchair accessible
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- New en-suite bathroom to main bedroom with bath, separate shower and WC. 2nd bathroom with bath/shower, WC.
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 8 (3/4 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1, with queen size bed, built-in cupboards, linen, en-suite bathroom. Bedroom 2, double bed, built-in cupboards and linen. Bedroom 3 with twin single beds, built-in cupboards and linen. Open loft room with 4 single beds and linen.
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: Silver Ranch lies in the Keurbooms River area, just outside Plettenberg Bay, and consists of 52 privately-owned cottages of similar construction arranged around a game encampment, where some buck laze about. There is ample playing area for children outside of the house, as the properties are not individually fenced in. The communal swimming pool was refurbished in 2007. Shopping can be done in the town of Plettenberg Bay, which is about 10 minutes drive away. This area has a very temperate climate which allows for visitors to participate in outdoor activities for most of the year. Guests are furnished with a remote control for the gates. Optional cleaning and nanny services can be arranged. There is no telephone land line in the property, but a phone booth is located 30m from the house. A safe is available to secure valuables and travel documents. Outside: Guests love the covered rear patio, where garden furniture and the built-in barbeque allows for pleasant al fresco dining. There is also a front patio with a loose standing barbecue, which overlooks the game field. The swimming pool, which was refurbished in 2007, is shared. The pool has a 'kiddy' section, which is delineated with a low wall. The pool complex is fitted with shower units (cold water only) and toilets. Utility Room: Washing machine, dryer and hanging racks. Iron and ironing board. Vacuum cleaner. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Clean linen supplied and changed weekly. Full-time or part-time cleaner services available on request. Cleaning materials and vacuum cleaner supplied. Baby sitting can be arranged. Optional catering available on request. Other: Loft room doubles as a convenient play room for children. Shared non-heated swimming pool in complex. Houses built around a fenced-in field with game. Covered rear patio with a built-in wood/charcoal-fired BBQ. Front patio. Keys for foot path to beach.