Quinta B&B near Sintra, Lisbon Coast, Portugal - Village Location With Traditional Restaurants, Good Transport Links - Lisbon 15km, Sintra 7km
Quinta do Scoto is a very different concept in Bed & Breakfast or Self Catering with spacious suites set around a pool and sun terrace or in the Manor House and has a long historic past. Originally built for the Marquis de Pombal's Chaplain in 1746 and located in the village of Melecas. Within walking distance of 8 cafes and 8 restaurants in and around a very friendly village with many more just a short drive away. A train station 10 minutes walk provides links to Lisbon, Sintra, Mafra and Obidos. Sintra is a 10 minute journey by car and a vast selection of beaches can be found within a 1/2 hour drive, some using public transport. On a B&B basis, the continental breakfast comprises freshly baked bread, cereals, fresh fruit, cheese, ham, freshly squeezed orange juice, tea and coffee. If guests prefer, a basket of breakfast goodies can be delivered to their room for enjoyment either in the comfort of the suite or at one of the many tables around the pool or in the grounds of the Quinta.
Please ignore the erroneous cost shown by Owners Direct and e-mail us to confirm prices which are based on 2 guests sharing a suite with additional rates for further guests in the suites up to the maximum number shown below; we will respond with costs and availability. Rates shown in the text for each suite are low season and high season. Detailed rates can be found on our website quintadoscoto.com
Payment of a deposit is only taken through a secure website link from our own website page that we provide you with on confirmation of a reservation.
Details for holiday chateau / country house Quinta do Scoto, 8 Bedrooms, Sleeps 44, 8 Bathrooms
Adega Suite is part of the Manor House & has two bdrms, 1 with double bed and double sofa bed, 1 with twin beds, with sitting area & dressing room. The bathroom has a bath & shower in a converted wine press, with WC, bidet & washbasin in a courtyard theme.
Sr. Meira Suite is in the Manor House and has a bdrm with double bed & single bed, sitting room with double sofa bed & en suite bathroom.
The converted barn, has 6 suites all with large en suite bathrooms:
Sr Miguel Suite-2 double beds & priest bed
Dona Maria & Count Redondo Suites-2 double beds & double sofa bed
Dove Cote & Marquis de Pombal Suites-2 double beds in bedroom & double sofa bed in separate sitting room
Dom Fernando Suite-2 twin beds & double sofa bed
Sr Miguel, Dona Maria & Marquis de Pombal Suites are on the ground floor with access directly to the pool and sun terrace. Dove Cote, Count Redondo & Dom Fernando Suites are on 1st floor.
Suite rates are for 2 people, with extra charge for adults €30 or children €20 night
About the Owner
Tony, Penny and Charlotte are from the UK although we moved to Portugal from the States, where we spent nearly 5 years in Philadelphia.
You couldn't ask for a better life style than in Portugal, with its sunny climate, safe environment and low cost of living - just visit the restaurants and cafes to see!
We didn't realise just how enjoyable having the Quinta would be and have made so many friends since we opened in 2008.
Guestbook comments from the owner
"We felt very welcome in your home and found you all very generous of your time. We enjoyed our stay with you thoroughly and will return and recommend you to our English relatives." Steve and Kerrie McElroy, New South Wales, Australia
"Thank you for a great time. We really enjoyed our stay with you and will definitely return - next time we will stay longer!" Reiner and Karen Pelzer, Philadelphia, USA
"Friendly and helpful. Appreciated advice and assistance on restaurants, sights etc. Will recommend to friends and colleagues. Thanks you for making our stay enjoyable." Wayne and Maureen Curran, Diddillibah, Australia
From the Owner
“Quinta do Scoto, which was built in 1746 for the Chaplain of the Marquis de Pombal, had not been lived in for over 25 years and was in need of complete refurbishment and tender loving care. Being part of the heritage of Portugal, with so many historical features, the facilities provide spacious accommodation that is naturally a fascinating and luxury environment for visitors to relax and enjoy. Located in a rural community with typical Portuguese Restaurants and good public transport, conveniently close to many palaces, heritage areas and attractions in Sintra, Lisbon and the surrounding areas. The Quinta is ideally situated to visit places of great interest and then to return to spend time relaxing around the large pool.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Horse riding is available within a few minutes walk. Clay pigeon shooting is available 5km away and a local sports club for tennis and other games is available a 10 minute walk away. For walkers there are local walks into the hills with long distance views of the coast and much much more in the Sintra and Coastal areas together with Lisbon. Photography Weekends and Art and Painting Weekends are available on request.
A vast selection of beaches can be found within a 1/2 hour drive, including Guincho, Cascais and Carcavelos. Some beaches can also be accessed either by bus or by taking the train to Sintra and then the a San Francisco type streetcar down to the coast.
Lisbon airport is 22km away - 20 minutes drive without traffic. With Car hire you can visit more places but is not essential as bus and train services are excellent. From Airport by Metro to Oriente station is a 5 minute journey and then a direct train to Rio do Mouro station (30 minute ride - €1.85) where we can collect you.
Lisbon is 15km and Sintra is 6km away and both can be reached either by car or by train from the local railway station (the fare is less than 2 euros each way). Cascais and Estoril are a 30 minute drive. The Quinta is located in village of Melecas where there are 8 cafes and 7 restaurants within walking distance or a short drive away. Local Restaurants are extremely inexpensive and typical Portuguese cuisine.
The Casa and Celeiro is available to rent in it's entirety to provide accommodation for up to 46 people. The Dona Maria and Marquis de Pombal Suites and Count Redondo and Dom Fernando Suites both have adjoining doors and can be rented together. Please e-mail for rates and information.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
1 night minimum stay
for 1 night
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Booking Notes for B&B and Room only reservations excluding group bookings:
A deposit of one nights stay is required with a booking on a B&B or room only basis. Credit card facilities are available for the deposit payment with the balance due on checkout. Just in case, should you need to cancel your visit, there is the loss of one night's deposit. There is no loss for rescheduling dates before an arrival date. E-mail for requirements for rental of the whole property.
Changeover day is flexible.
Notes on prices:
Suite prices are for 2 guests and include continental breakfast. Additional persons 2 to 15 years old are €20 per night each, 16 years old and over are €30 per night each. Children under 2 are provided with a cot free of charge. Rates are for the Sr Miguel Suite, other Suites vary from €10 less to €20 more per night. Please e-mail for details.
For self catering only rates, or single occupancy, deduct €5.00 per person.
A 10% discount on a stay of more than 4 days.
A 1 night deposit is required which can be paid by credit card.
The balance is payable upon check out except when the property is booked by large groups where the balance is due 30 days before arrival and is non refundable. A security deposit may be required for bookings by large groups.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“The needs of our guest are foremost. We provide drinks upon arrival, and in the suites, a complimentary minibar containing beers, sodas, milk and water, tea, coffee and biscuits, plus a bottle of wine, pool/beach towels, room safe, good wireless internet, restaurant translations, train timetables, information about the area, heating in the winter and cooling in the summer through the thick stone walls and ceiling fans, and a guest kitchen and of course a BBQ. We provide a continental breakfast with no end time, which is not only flexible but allows you to wake up in the morning without thinking that you have missed it. Our suites are large and luxurious and furnished with antiques, most sleeping families and groups of up to 6 people. All sofa beds sleep 2 guests. We treat guests as friends and become friends with our guests but are respectful of their privacy.”
- chateau / country house
- Bed & Breakfast
- Air Conditioning ...
- Fireplace ...
- Hair Dryer
- Heating ...
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Tumble Dryer ...
- Washing Machine ...
- Wood Stove ...
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Kitchen ...
- Microwave ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Hob ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- DVD Player ...
- Games ...
- Video Library ...
Pool / Spa
- Communal Pool ...
- Outdoor Pool
- Events Allowed
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- children welcome
- non smoking only ...
- pets not allowed
- wheelchair accessible ...
- recreation centre
- winery tours
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness centre
- laundrette - serviced
- massage therapist
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- Dove Cote Suite - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Dona Maria Suite - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Count Redondo Suite - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Marquis de Pombal Suite - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Don Fernando Suite - Toilet, Bath with Shower, Bidet
- Adega Suite - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Sr Meira Suite - Toilet, Bath with Shower, Bidet
- Sr Miguel Suite - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- 8 Bedrooms, Sleeps 44
- Dona Maria Suite - 2 Double Bed, 1 Sofa bed/Futon, 1 Bdrm Suite sleeps up to 6, rates from €80-€130 night for 2
- Sr Miguel Suite (disability facilities) - 2 Double Bed, 1 Single Bed, 1 Bdrm Suite sleeps up to 6, rates from €80-€130 night for 2
- Dom Fernando Suite - 2 Single Bed, 1 Sofa bed/Futon, 1 Bdrm Suite sleeps up to 4, rates from €70-€120 night for 2
- Count Redondo Suite - 2 Double Bed, 1 Sofa bed/Futon, 1 Bdrm Suite sleeps up to 6, rates from €80-€130 night for 2
- Sr Meira Suite - 1 Double Bed, 1 Single Bed, 2 Sofa bed/Futon, 2 Bdrm Suite sleeps up to 5, rates from €90-€140 night for 2
- Marquis de Pombal - 2 Double Bed, 2 Single Bed, 2 Bdrm Suite sleeps up to 6, rate from €100-€150 night for 2
- Adega Suite - 1 Double Bed, 2 Single Bed, 3 Sofa bed/Futon, 3 Room Suite sleeping up to 6 rate from €100-€150 for 2
- Dove Cote Suite - 2 Double Bed, 1 Sofa bed/Futon, 2 Bdrm Suite sleeps up to 6, rates from €95-€145 night for 2
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: Individual Suites can be reserved either for Bed & Breakfast or Self Catering (€5 pp less). Group bookings also available. Dona Maria and Marquis de Pombal Suites and the Count Redondo and Dom Fernando Suites have connecting doors to provide greater flexibility. A bottle of wine is provided to settle the dust after your journey, plus a mini-bar stocked on your arrival with complimentary beer and soft drinks. A coffee machine is available in each suite and a mini safe. We also provide a laptop which guests can use to connect to the Internet and to use Skype to make either free calls to another Skype user or to communicate with home through Skype. The Entrada is a guest lounge available for guests to relax, watch DVDs, read and play games. All rooms are fully serviced daily with sheets replaced weekly and towels mid week or sooner should guests require. Beach towels are also provided. All suites are heated during the winter and have ceiling fans and are cooled by the thick walls in the summer. Outside: The Quinta is set in 7 acres (29,000 square metres) of rural grounds with interesting historic features that guests are free to enjoy. There is a large swimming pool (6m x 12m) available for guests to use, surrounded by sun terraces with sun loungers. Adjacent to the pool is a barbecue area with tables and chairs and a covered stone seating area. A guest kitchen is also provided although there are plenty of good restaurants in the local area.