Cottage style Barn in Covas, Vila Nova de Cerveira, Costa Verde - Rural Location In Small Peaceful Hamlet
Part of a small farm and vineyard on the south facing slopes of the Covas valley. The barn is on 2 levels with living quarters upstairs and bathroom and utility area on the lower level accessed by an internal staircase. The barn has private off road parking and gardens and boasts several sunny and shaded areas for relaxing or dining including a secluded pool area. The property is close to the historic Costa Verde towns of Caminha, Vila Nova de Cerveira and the walled border town of Valença.
Top Traveller Review
Relaxing- in great location
About the Owner
We (Siân and Steve) have lived in Northern Portugal for over fifteen years and have owned Casa Anno 1869 since 1998. After several years of renovation and radical gardening we now share the property with our dog, cats, chickens, bees and a small vineyard recently planted with traditional vinho verde grapes. We share a professional and hands - on interest in local foods, wines, traditions, customs and crafts and we hope that our enthusiasm and experience will help to enrich your holidays here. We would be more than pleased to trade information over a glass of wine or beer.
5 based on 7 holidaymaker reviews
Relaxing- in great location
What a wonderful two week stay we had! Casa Anno is the ideal place to explore this beautiful and relatively unspoilt area of Northern Portugal .The barn is very comfortable and well equipped -With the lovely terraces and swimming pool, it’s the perfect place to relax and unwind. Sian and Steve were excellent hosts and were so helpful.
Peaceful, relaxing and welcoming.
We had a fabulous time in this lovely country cottage. Sian & Steve were the perfect hosts - very unobtrusive but always on hand to answer questions and give advice when needed. The pool area is gorgeous and we loved sitting out in the covered area for all our meals. We thoroughly enjoyed exploring the local countryside and trying out lots of places to eat! This part of Portugal is a real hidden gem, and we would love to return one day!
Highly Recommended: Beautiful Garden Stay
A beautiful location, quiet & peaceful in the lovely Covas Valley, Minho. A converted barn in a beautiful garden with swimming pool. Lots to do & see if you can drag yourself away from the property. Sian & Steve very welcoming hosts. We enjoyed a perfect stay.
We had a wonderful week. Temperatures in the 30's! Hill walking, trip up into Spain and back down the coast. A myriad of things to do. The cottage has everything you need, and the owners were very friendly and helpful.
Casa Anno 1869
What a terrific introduction to Portugal!
Having rented properties in other parts of Europe over the years, we decided to to explore a new region and were not disappointed.
Sian and Steve are excellent hosts - available when needed, willing to offer advice but also happy to allow visitors their own space. We stayed for 13 nights and quickly settled into a comfortable, simple, relaxed lifestyle which certainly recharged the batteries. This is a delightful part of the world and at Casa Anno you have a wealth of interesting places to visit without having to clock up huge mileage. If you prefer to simply soak up the sun, read in the shade, swim in a lovely pool then Casa Anno ticks those boxes too. Whilst there, we did both and loved it.
We found the property to be comfortable and well equipped and
perhaps the best testimonial is the fact that we will be returning in 2015. John and Alex
A fantastic barn, great garden to dinner in and a marvelous pool makes of this place a great place to stay and relax. This is a great location to visit North Portugal as well, places like Braga, Guimaraes and Porto are close enough to make day trips from Covas. Siam and Steve are great hosts, discrete and hepful.
From the Owner
“We moved to Portugal in 1990 and lived for several years in Porto where Steve worked in the port wine sector (Cockburns) We were lucky enough to have friends that lived in the Minho and spent many happy weekends with them and exploring the area. We fell in love with Covas and when the opportunity came up we bought Casa Anno - then in need of much renovation - in 1998. We were attracted by the timelessness of the village, the granite and grapes, the patchwork of small properties and the near, middle and distant vistas. Workaday life in the village had and still retains a consistently casual but resilient pace which is all the more valued at the present time.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
In the local area there are courses run by English speaking artists and potters - further details on request.
The beaches of the Costa Verde are some 25 mins away by car. These sandy (seldom crowded) beaches are popular with surfers and most have surf schools, cafés and lifeguards. The Minho River estuary beaches are another relaxing option.
A hire car is essential to fully enjoy this diverse region. Porto airport is 1 and 1/2 hours drive with the alternatives of Vigo (1 hour) and Santiago de Compostela at (2 hours).
Covas is situated approx. 25 mins from the towns of Vila Nova de Cerveira and Caminha. The historic cities of Braga, Guimarães and Viana do Castelo are approximately a 1 hour drive away. Geres National Park is a similar distance. Porto is worth a visit by train, coach or car. Across the nearby Minho River the Spanish autonomous region of Galicia has much to recommend it including fantastic seafood and tapas and the historic city of Santiago de Compostela.
The village has local shops where it is possible to buy the basic necessities. There are 3 local family owned restaurants which serve good quality, traditional food at very reasonable prices and offer the opportunity to experience local colour. These all have outside eating areas.The closest of these restaurants is 10 mins walk from the property. There is a cashpoint facilty in the village. Horseriding, canoeing and waterskiing can all be arranged in the local area. We have his and her mountain bikes available for a small daily charge (8 Euro/day/bike including protective headwear) for those keen to explore the immediate locality. Please type our blog address (below) into the address bar of your search engine for more information.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Booking requests can be made by e-mail or phone and we accept UK Pounds or Euro. We will supply banking details at the time of booking. We require a 20% non-refundable deposit upon booking and the balance 1 month before arrival.
We advise our guests to take out appropriate travel, sickness and injury insurance.
Changeover day is flexible. We ask guests to vacate by 10am on changeover days. The barn is available from 3pm on arrival days.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund for cancellations more than 7 days before check-in date.
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
- Away From It All
- Ceiling Fans
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Oven ...
- Pantry Items
- Hob ...
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool ...
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- wheelchair inaccessible
- winery tours
- bird watching
- eco tourism
- horse riding
- outlet shopping
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- fly fishing
- freshwater fishing
- mountain biking
- whitewater rafting
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath with Shower
- Downstairs bathroom with wc, bath/shower and wash basin in the barn. En-suite bathrooms with wc, showers and wash basins in the twin and double bedrooms of the main house.
- 1 Bedroom, Sleeps 2
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Large Double Bed, 1 Cot
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 2 (Studio Apartment) Notes on bedrooms: Studio bedroom with 1 double bed Further en-suite bedrooms - one double and one twin each with independent access are available in the main house if required.
- Bicycles ...
- Golf ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: The water heating system is designed so that maximum use is made of solar heating panels. We supply a small welcome pack of local foods, wine and beer upon your arrival. Although designed for self catering we can provide evening meals, picnic lunches etc. upon request. We now have free wireless internet access (unsecured). Smoking is only permitted in outside areas. Unfortunately we cannot accept pets as we have our own dog and cat. Outside: The property has its own adjoining mature, private garden and a south facing gazebo with table and chairs, a sun terrace with loungers, deck chairs and barbecue. The barn is set in over an acre of vineyard and gardens. As well as vines the grounds are dotted with a variety trees - including walnut, fig, chestnut, oak and olive. A handful of chickens live in a fenced off area and bee hives produce honey. Utility Room: Automatic washing machine, ironing facilities and storage for clothing. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels included and changed twice weekly - this does not include beach towels which are not supplied. Bed linen is provided and changed once per week. Other: Adjoined to the barn is a covered dining area which adds considerably to the living space. Guests find this popular space ideal for al fresco dining and relaxing. Other private areas include a sun patio and a garden with gazebo ideal for a sundowner.