House in Tornac, Near Anduze, Gard, Languedoc-Roussillon - On Edge Of A Hamlet In A Peaceful Va
Mas des Loriots, a traditional stone-built house, lies in a peaceful valley on the edge of a hamlet dating back to the X111c built on the south-facing slopes of the Cevennes in the South of France. Lying between the sea and the mountains, the cities of Montpelier, Nimes and Arles are easily accessible as is the charming Duchy of Uzes. The mas retains many original features. The grounds – which extend to 20 acres – include a large saltwater swimming pool (6m x 13m) set close to, yet above the house in an olive grove with stunning views of the undulating landscape of vineyards and garrigue. From the mas there are extensive walks along old footpaths dating from Roman times, meandering through woodland, vineyards and olive groves. Anduze, the nearest town with its Mediterranean atmosphere, market, cafes and restaurants is only a 5 minute drive away. The Mas sleeps 12 people and is set in tranquil surroundings.
About the Owner
Activity and Interests
The Mediterranean coast is less than an hours drive. La Grau du Roi, with its long sandy beaches, old port and excellent fish restaurants and close by La Grande Motte for dinghy sailing, long, long beach and excellent beach restaurants. Further a field, a little over an hour driving West along the coast is Sete and Beziers.
Nearest airport is Nimes(Ryanair) 45 mins. Montpelier 60 mins (Easyjet and Ryanair). Marseilles 90 mins (Easyjet, Ryanair and BA). By train TGV from St Pancreas either via Lille or Paris to Nimes or Avignon. Direct train from St Pancreas to Avignon during the summer months. By car the house is accessible from auto routes A7 and A9. From Calais allow 10 hours.
The old town of Anduze, gateway to the Cevennes is a 5 min drive. All the vases at Versailles were made here. Nearby visit the world famous Bambouserie. The Mas is an ideal base for walking in the Cevennes National Park. Visit the Roman towns of Avignon (70 mins) Arles(70 mins) Nimes (35 mins) and Montpelier (60 mins). These provincial towns have a rich cultural life with film and theatre festivals, classical and rock concerts, markets, cafes and restaurants, museums and fine Roman buildings.
Adventure parks nearby, Go Karting at Ales (25 mins), plenty of horse riding. The famous Bambouserie is 5 mins drive from Anduze and beyond into the Cevennes the Grotte Trabuc, Florac, the dramatic Georges du Tarn or trace the trail travelled by Robert Louis Stevenson.From Easter until the end of the summer there is a steam train which runs from Anduze up the beautiful Gardon valley to St Jean du Gard, stopping en route at the Bambouserie. The medieval Duchy of Uzes with its cobbled streets a mere 35 mins away hosts excellent markets on Wednesdays and Saturdays. (Anduze hosts its market on Thursdays). Nearby the Pont du Gard, excellent for canoing and swimming. Further afield the Ardeche Valley and the Carmague National Park are easily within a day's expedition. The Carmague offers opportunities to explore the nature reserves with the flamingos, bulls and white horses. Further East to St Tropez where a classic yacht with skipper is available for charter on a daily basis. This can be arranged separately in advance and is a great day out.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
25% deposit on booking, final payment 6 weeks before arrival.
£1000 refundable security deposit. £500 for one week lets
Saturday. Normally arrival after 4.30pm and departure by 10.00am.
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 1 with separate shower, bath, double vanity unit, WC and hairdryer. Bathroom 2 with bath, shower, WC and wash hand basin. Bathroom with shower, separate, WC and wash hand basin Bathroom with shower. Separate WC.
- 6 Bedrooms, Sleeps 12
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Bedroom 6
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 12 (6 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1and 2 with large double bed. Bedroom 3 and 4 with 2 single beds. Bedroom 5 with large double bed and wash hand basin. Bedroom 6 with 2 single beds.
- Golf ...
- Max. occupancy: 12
- children welcome
- Notes on accommodation: Mas des Loriots can be split into 2 separate units by simply locking one door off the main hall. Alternatively one wing can accommodate (say) a young family so that early risers need not disturb the rest of the house. Or late risers (teenagers) can be accommodated separately. Outside: The front garden with shaded pergola and the outer courtyard provide summer dining areas in which to eat and drink the wines from the local domaines or simply relax, unwind and enjoy the tranquillity and ambiance. Opposite the front lawn there is a bergerie with BBQ to the front. Plenty of places to relax and partake in a siesta or a good book. Inner courtyard with steps up to billiard room. Cave with table tennis. Lavender, figs, strawberries, raspberries, wild flowers and gardens leading up to the salt water private swimming pool 13x6 surrounded by olive trees. Plenty of wooden loungers around the pool area. A very special place. Full of charm and 'je ne sais quoi'. Utility Room: Ironing board, iron, washing machine and dryer. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Linen and towels are provided and changed weekly. Cleaning mid week can be arranged and is payable locally. Services of a cook can also be arranged in advance and again, are payable locally. The pool is cleaned at regular intervals by the gardener. Other: Music room, high-ceilinged, with Yamaha electric piano and painting facilities/equipment, leading to a galleried mezzanine above billiard room with full-size table. Table tennis in the vault off courtyard.