Cottage by Masias Catalanes, Nr. Alcover, Tarragona, Costa Dorada, Spain - Peaceful Location Only 20 Mins From The Coast And The Backdrop Of The Prades Mountains
Mas de Sans is a typical working almond farm (harvest in August/September), in a privileged setting in the Tarragona hills. Although peacefully secluded, only minutes away from the major towns of Reus (modernist architecture) and Tarragona (beaches and Roman ruins). The area is also famous for its wines (5 different regions), gourmet dining, Cistertian Monasteries and Modernist Wine Cellar route. Arriving through the urbanisation of Masies Catalanes and by an entrance track of 1/3 km. There is plentiful parking, an orchard, garden and large sun terrace with a small BBQ. The natural spring, continuously flowing, swimming pool is found on one of the many walks just 150m from the cottage. The building is airy and cool with high ceilings and original stone features. The living area and kitchen have views over the valley and coast. Only 4km from the historic villages of Alcover and La Selva or the mountain hamlet of L'Albiol and the fabulous Prades mountain range and historic villages.
Top Traveller Review
Fabulous holiday cottage
About the Owner
I work in an enclosed environment, so it is great to be able to rest during my days off in the open air and fresh air. The word rest may imply lazing in the sun doing nothing, the cottage is surrounded by almond trees which I tend while I relax and I enjoy sharing the tranquility and beauty of the countryside. The work I ensure causes minimum annoyance and noise around the cottage.
Guestbook comments from the owner
Mas de Sans - 4th August 2007. Dear Ron, what a wonderful location and fantastic accomodation. We had everything we needed and more. Being up in the hills with nature gives our children good experiences and this certainly did. Watching their faces and listening to their excitement as they found the peaches, oranges and almonds was such a pleasure for us. And the swimming pool – need we say more?!! Our boys just loved it, it is in the perfect location, not too near for us to worry about them falling in out of our vision. There is so much to see and do from here, we could easily have stayed for 2 weeks rather than move on. If there are flights from Belfaast to Reus in the future we will definitely come back (if not we would still love to return). We will definitely recommend this beautiful place to others. Thank you so much, Jacqui, Neil, Callum, Jack and Lydia. Bangor, N. Ireland.
2 holidaymaker reviews
Fabulous holiday cottage
We have just spent a fantastic 2-week holiday at the cottage with our two children (aged 11 and 7). The cottage was a perfect base for us to explore the area and beyond. Eating al-fresco on the patio is made even more pleasurable by the fabulous view and the situation of the pool looking down the valley was amazing! Thank you Ron for a brilliant holiday!
July/August 2015 Holiday
The villa and location are delightful; Debi, who does the handover etc, was very helpful and friendly
We took our grandsons (11 & 9 ) and they absolutely loved the 8 days we spent there......the pool is fabulous, as are the views
Would not hesitaqte to recommend or go back ourselves
Thank you Ron (the owner)
From the Owner
“The farm is within easy access to the beaches, the city, however not overlooked by neighbours. Barcelona is only 1h 30min by road or rail, the train removes the stress and cost of finding a parking space. Tarragona full of Roman treasures. Enjoy the best of both worlds, mountain and beach within easy reach, countryside or city, peace and quiet of a digestive on the terrace overlooking the bright lights of Tarragona or if you prefer the excitement of the nightlife in Salou, Reus or Tarragona.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Walking/Climbing - one of the best kept secrets for both fun and serious climbers (check it out on the net) - La Mussara, Prades, Mont Ral etc.
Horse Riding - several schools around the farm.
Activity Sports - canoeing, kayaks etc in La Siurana.
Mountain Bikes available to rent 1X29" 1X27" & 1 Big Kids.
Cooking classses using local ingredients by Lola rice and fish being her specialities.
Mas de Sans is equidistant from over a dozen beautiful beaches from the busiest beaches of Salou to the quieter Spanish areas to the North of Tarragona. There are 2 nudist beaches if you are interested within half an hours drive and watersports in abundance. Some beaches have restaurants literally on the beach, whereas others have small bars serving drinks and snacks. The general standard is excellent, they are cleaned on a daily basis and a safety flag system operates on most beaches.
Reus is the nearest airport 10km / 10 mins drive. Barcelona 1 hour 20 minutes drive away and 100km. Girona airport about 2 hours / 175km. Car hire is essential for accessing the property and to fully enjoy the surrounding area. All major car hire companies can be found at the airports - it is advised to book before hand. Santander and Bilbao Ferries - about 7 hours drive away - please make sure you take the appropriate travel insurance including green card for cover abroad.
Alcover and La Selva (Historic Villages) 4km from the property. Valls - Famous for Castells (Human Castles) and the Calçot, local gourmet speciality 7km. Reus, the birthplace of the architect Gaudi, fabulous modernist buildings and theatres 12km. Tarragona, museum lovers delight, spectacular Roman ruins, great restaurants and beaches 25km. Salou (Port Aventura) 25km. Functioning Cistertian monastries, Santes Creus 20km. Modernist Wine Cellar/museum route 25km. Poblet 25km
Masies Catalanes - is an urbanization for local people who have escaped the city, it is purely a dormitory village. 4km to Alcover and La Selva del Camp both villages have all necessary facilities such as banks, supermarkets, doctor, pharmacy, swimming pool, restaurants of all types and bars etc. The major shopping towns of Reus and Tarragona have a Carrefour hypermarket and large shopping complex. Mas de Sans is a perfect base for visiting the whole of the Tarragona Province.
Other information of interest - leisure activities - apart from the excellent golf courses nearby, this area is also very famous for walking, climbing and bicycle holidays. There are various riding stables close at hand and several outdoor pursuits centres for all kinds of activities such as canoing, kayaks on a local lake plus watersports on the coast. There are marinas all along the coast with boats and yachts for hire.
The village of Alcover has one of the most famous beauty spots in the area, a series of mountain waterfalls tumbling from the 'eagles nest' down to an area with an ancient hermitage - a trip for the energetic. Visit famous museum
5 wine regions are within half an hour of the property where you can sample and buy the local produce - the most famous of these is the Baix Penedes region - Cava (local champagne), red, white and rosé. The most emerging local region is the Priorat area that produces a strong, full bodied red. The Conca de Barbara region has replanted its vineyards and refurbished its modernist wine cellars and is producing fine cavas. It's capital Montblanc is a medieval town with it's original fortress walls almost intact, a place that is reputed to be where St George (also the patron saint of Catalunya) slay the dragon. The area is rich in remains of architecture from previous centuries and many fine examples can be seen. The knights Templar were very active in the province and it is possible to visit remains of their castles.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Price|
1 Jul 2017 - 31 Aug 2017
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
My Standard Rate
1 night minimum stay
for 1 night
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£89|
Any property booking will be held for 72 hours pending payment of a 25% deposit by bank transfer. The remaining 75% is payable by bank transfer 1 week beforehand or paid directly into bank on arrival. A €100 deposit will be collected on arrival and returned prior to departure.
At present no changeover day is specified however we prefer Saturday. Arrival after 3pm and departure 10am unless otherwise agreed with the owner.
Notes on prices:
Prices are for the property per week in euros now include VAT & Tourist Taxes. Special rates available for long winter lets on application. Weekend bookings available on low season dates. A returnable deposit of 100 Euros is payable on arrival for any possible damage/breakages during your stay.
25% Deposit on booking by bank transfer.
75% Minimum 1 week before arrival by bank transfer.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund for cancellations more than 7 days before check-in date.
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“We would like to offer you either a typical dinner under the stars or lunch from local products of either the countryside or fresh fish/ shellfish from the Mediterranean. All taxes (VAT & Tourist Tax) are included in the prices advertised.”
- Farm Holidays
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Hob ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- DVD Player ...
- Satellite / Cable
- Television ...
- Video Library ...
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- pets considered
- naturist beach
- theme parks
- winery tours
- bird watching
- eco tourism
- horse riding
- scenic drives
Local Services & Businesses
- laundrette - serviced
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- surf fishing
- water skiing
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- One bathroom with window, wet shower, toilet, sink and large vanity mirror. The water heated by solar power electric backup, hot water at all times. Lots of towels available and basic bathroom products provided. Hair dryer for the ladies in the party.
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 4
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 4 (2 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with double bed. Bedroom 2 with twin beds. Both with large windows, fitted with mosquito netting and overlooking the terrace. Large fitted wardrobes, feature stone wall tastefully decorated in rustic style.
- Golf ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
- Notes on accommodation: Underfloor heating has been installed now fully working with solar power. There is a wood burning stove in the living room with a basic supply of wood, more can be purchased from the main house. The cottage and gardens are safe for children being a good distance from any roads, no insecticides or herbacides are used, but it is important to stress that this is a working farm and in the middle of the countryside so very young children need to be supervised at all times. There is no air-conditioning as it is not necessary, the cottage has thick stone walls keeping it delightfully cool in summer. The mountain breezes keep the temperatures down in the hotter months. Outside: The garden in front of the house blends into the fields, and the terrace is a good size. There is an outside dining table and chairs, sunbeds, BBQ, plus terrace lighting - the perfect place to relax on a summer evening. To the left of the cottage there is a shared area for hanging washing and on the right a small orchard. The rest of the farm is open to visitors for walks etc. although we ask you to respect the owners' privacy. The private natural spring swimming pool is situated in a beautiful scenic spot just 100m from the cottage. The water comes directly from a mountain spring and is constantly flowing not heated yet. The size is approx. 4m x 6m x 1.4m deep with full filter/cleaning system. The area surrounding the pool is perfect for sunbathing, picnics. With table, chairs, parasol and sunbeds. Guests are welcome to bring their own animals providing they are not aggressive and that they sleep outside the holiday cottage. Sunbeds are also available on the terrace or gardens. Utility Room: An iron and ironing board are supplied with washing basket, pegs and plenty of room outside for drying clothes (we hope you won't need to use this too much on your holiday). Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Bedding, towels (house/pool) included, blankets/quilts available for the cooler months. There is a supply of linen for a weekly change. The cottage will be cleaned before your arrival and should be left in a similar condition. Laundry service available. Other: The terrace - very large, shaded, perfect for hot days and balmy evenings. Large table with 4 comfortable dining chairs as well as a wicker 3 piece suite. A gas BBQ is also on the terrace which is portable for the occasions you want a change of view.