Cottage near Chateauneuf-du-Faou, Finistere, Brittany
Named Ecluse de Meros built 1820 in traditional stone as part of Napoleon's upgrade of the river to carry troops and materials to overcome the British blockade of the French ports. The cottage is one of the most beautiful along the whole of the canal. The lock has recently been upgraded and is used by holiday makers boats throughout the year but only maybe twice a day in the summer.Ideal for cycling , walking ,fishing, birdwatching and a perfect place to relax.
Top Traveller Review
A wonderful house, well-eqipped and comfortable. L
About the Owner
(2 traveller reviews)
A wonderful house, well-eqipped and comfortable. L
We (five adults) had a lovely two weeks in Meros. We were comfortable, there was plenty of room, the house is well-appointed to a high standard. We enjoyed sitting outside watching the cyclists go by. Easy access to the coast and major towns. Sue and Nigel were warm and welcoming and helped to make our stay easy.
We were unsure when we booked this as there are no reviews and wanted a family get together in a good location. I now know why there are no reviews, as it is my impression that visitors want to keep this place quiet.
The photo's do not give this place justice. If you want to unwind it is picture postcard perfect, in fact I spent more time wanting to stay in the cottage than visiting the area.
Highly recommend this for fishing, birdwatching, cycling, visiting Brittany region, doing absolutely nothing. It does not get any better for quality family time.
Out of all the countries and properties we have visited, this is the only place I would return to for a family re-union/get-together/holiday.
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Cycling, literally hundreds of miles of tow paths along either side of the river/canal.
Horse riding, riding stable close by.
Amazing birdlife and free access to all the woods and countryside around the house.
There are many beaches within a 45 minute drive on the west and north coast of Brittany.
Airports: Brest 60km (flights from Southampton, Exeter, Birmingham), Quimper 20km, Rennes 160 km. Ferry ports: Roscoff 70km (1 hour drive), St Malo 160 km (2 hours 15 mins drive), Caen (4 hours drive), Calais (7.5 hours drive). Discounts available on all Brittany ferry crossings.
Chateau de Traverez, 8 km visit house and gardens. Locranon 40km mediaeval town of great interest and used in many films as a film set. Concarneau, 50km, mediaeval walled town, well worth a visit. Superb fish restaurants. Quimper 40km, good for all kinds of shopping. Huelgoat 20km, Pleasant lake and prehistoric standing stones. Carhaix 15km, ten pin bowling, beautiful indoor swimming pool, Adventure park and a 9 hole golf course.
The local town of Chateau Neuf du Faou is a 15 minute drive away where there are all the shops, supermarkets and all the amenities you would expect at home. Post offices, doctors, vet, details in the house.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
We would want 20% down payment with your booking and the full amount payable four weeks before you arrive. We will meet you and show you round.
Saturday is changeover day and you will be expected to leave by 10 am. You can move in at 3pm. This leaves us 5 hours to clean and make the beds etc.
Notes on prices:
Prices are for the property per week in UK pounds.
Deposit with booking. Balance one month before arrival date.
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Ceiling Fans
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Freezer ...
- Kitchen ...
- Microwave ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Satellite / Cable
- pets considered ...
- recreation centre
- bird watching
- horse riding
- paddle boating
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness centre
- laundrette - serviced
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- freshwater fishing
- mountain biking
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Very large bathroom with bath/separate shower/bidet/wash hand basin. Adjacent separate WC. Shower room with wash hand basin and WC.
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 9
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 9 (4 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with double bed Bedroom 2 with double bed Bedroom 3 with double bed Bedroom 4 two single beds and double sofa bed.
- Bicycles ...
- Golf ...
- Kayak / Canoe
- Notes on accommodation: There is an extensive garden around the house laid mainly to lawn. There will be gated access to the front. The accommodation is unsuitable for children under 5yrs. Outside: Wooden tables, chairs, parasols. BBQ, badminton lawn. There is a small rowing boat and two canoes with life jackets. You can travel for at least a mile up and down the river which is not normally fast flowing unless there has been a lot of heavy rain. Swimming in the river is wonderful in the summer. The river is excellent for fishing and permits can be purchased at the fishing shop in Chateauneuf. We provide fishing rods. You can cycle for 60 Km West and 240 Km East along the tow path which is flat and mostly tarmacked. We provide four adult bicycles one childs bicycle. This is great fun and very safe as the only traffic might be an occasional fisherman’s car. To the rear of the house there are woods and hills with unlimited access you might stumble across deer and other wildlife. It is a birdwatchers paradise, egrets, herons, kingfishers, cormorants, buzzards et al. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Bedding provided. House will be cleaned prior to arrival but cleaner is available at extra cost of 10 euros per hour. Other: Large oil fired boiler for hot water and central heating in garage.