Cottage in Mortree, Orne, Normandy - Ideal Country Retreat in France
An attractive, tastefully converted Normandy barn, located in a half-acre field, in a tranquil, unspoiled area of Orne, near to the medieval towns of Argentan and Sees. Access to the cottage is via a quiet track, usually only used by local farmers and horse riders. It offers a peaceful country hideaway, and is ideally situated to explore the local countryside by car, cycle or on foot, to read, fish or just to relax!
Top Traveller Review
lovely home away from home
About the Owner
We are a British couple who first moved to Paris in 1976 with our work, enjoying eight years there in teaching and human resources roles. We fell in love with France, and spent much of our free time playing sport and making the most of living in the fantastic city of Paris, and France generally. Our daughter was born in Paris and as a family we returned to the UK in 1984. Since then, we have spent a lot of time back in France, having bought an old farmhouse in 1979, spending many weekends and holidays renovating this derelict acquisition. In 1989, we acquired a dilapidated barn in the adjoining field to our home, and have been renting it out all the year round since 2006. We know how important it is to be comfortable. We have endeavoured to provide quality, comfort and style.
5 based on 3 holidaymaker reviews
lovely home away from home
Had wonderful two nights here. It was a perfect stay for two families with very young children and we will definitely come back (and stay for longer!). Lovely location, very homely feel...
wonderful home away from home
We had two nights in this wonderful cottage, drinking wine, eating cheese, sitting by the fire and feeling very much at home. It was a perfect stay for two families with very young children. Will definitely come back and stay for longer.
Great family holiday
The cottage and surrounding area are just lovely. We had a fantastic Easter break here. We received a lovely welcome and the cottage was spotless. The garden is huge and we had great fun using the space playing rounders, cricket, badminton, etc. We were right in the countryside and we had never heard so much bird song. We had warm days and cold evenings as it was early spring. The terrace is ideal for outdoor eating. In the evenings the real fire in the living room was cosy and welcoming with plenty of free logs for our use. The owners were so helpful and kind when our car broke down taking us to the local garage and staying with us until it was mended. We visited Mont St Michel, Bayeux, Caen and beaches. More locally the Forest d'Ecouves are wonderful for the whole family to explore. Would highly recommend a family holiday to this lovely cottage.
From the Owner
“We were attracted to the Orne area by its rural environment and tranquillity. Family and friends were puzzled by our enthusiasm for our home there, until they visited when they became total converts and understood completely our fascination for the area. Why do we like it so much? It is very private and quiet; we have helpful but unobtrusive neighbours within 400 metres who have applauded our hard work; the village, which has no shops, is sparsely populated (about ten houses). However, within about eight kilometres, there are towns with markets, restaurants, shops, riding stables, chateaux. Also,the Normandy beaches are about an hour away by car, and Paris is about 2 hours by train. It is easy to reach the cottage from coastal ports, airports and stations.”
Activity and Interests
The cottage is approximately 1 hour by car from Ouistreham/Caen and its beaches, plus the museums and monuments to the Normandy landings. Miles of beautiful hard sand and calm seas make it ideal for children, the beach is supervised by lifeguards, and there are many entertainments, including crazy golf, horseriding, windsailing, cafes etc.
Paris can be reached in 2 hours by train from Argentan, or the same by car. The nearest channel port is Ouistreham - 1 hour from the cottage (a 6-hour crossing from Portsmouth), alternatively there is Cherbourg, Le Havre (about 2.5 hours), or Calais/Boulogne (3.5 hrs.), all of which are shorter crossings. Road access is easy with the N.158, and newly developed motorways (A28 & A88) can be accessed about 10 kilometres away.
The nearest town is Mortree, about 8 kilometres away, which has small shops including tabac, boulangeries, butcher, small supermarket, church etc. The larger towns of Argentan and Sees offer a wide range of shops, supermarkets, cafes etc. plus impressive monuments and churches. Thriving markets are held each week in both of these larger towns, and Mortree has a small Sunday morning market, all offering a wide range of local produce including cheese, honey, vegetables, meats, fish etc.
Around the area, there are countless magnificant chateaux, including Sassy (3 kilometres) which has the largest private library in France, turreted Carrouges which frequently hosts music and food festivals, Medavy - the list can go on.... Antique shops and "brocantes" abound if you like to browse for bargains.
There are many and varied restaurants in the area, from simple cafes and bars, to more gastronomic spots.
Horse breeding is one of the most popular occupations in this region, and horse riding is available locally at very reasonable prices, for beginners to experienced riders. Horse trotting is a local popular sport, with hippodromes in the nearby town of Argentan, and the National stud of Haras du Pin is only 15 kilometres away, with a magnificant horse museum and breeding facility. There is a swimming pool in Argentan, plus boating lake in the nearby spa town of Bagnoles de l'Orne which also has a nine hole golf course. There are tennis facilities in nearby Sees, and a leisure lake (plan d'eau) at Ferte Mace (c.20 kilometres). This is also good cycling country, and bikes can be hired from Argentan station. Visits to the famous cheese-making areas of Camembert, Liverot, Pont L'Eveque are popular, and local produce includes cider and calvados - anything to do with apples!
Helpful Tourist Board offices are available in Sees and Argentan.
There are banks and cash machines in all the nearby towns.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Prices are given in £ sterling. Special prices can be negotiated for long winter lets and special breaks.
20% deposit, balance due 8 weeks prior to holiday.
Normal changeover day is Saturday, but it is possible to be flexible out of high season. Short breaks can be arranged, and longer winter lets are also available.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“The garden (a field, in truth) has ample space for children and adults to play and relax, with very little passing traffic other than the odd tractor and horses in the nearby lane. Comments made by our visitors – some of whom have returned 2 or 3 times, include: What a wonderful location, far from the crowd and quiet enough to hear yourself think. Had a fantastic time in this gorgeous cottage – visited the chateaux and local markets and chilled – will definitely return again. We have all enjoyed our week here. The children love playing in the garden, we love the wonderful birdsong and fire in the evening. The local area is beautiful to walk around. A delightful and very comfortable gite in a tranquil setting, with a huge range of fascinating places to visit within easy reach.”
- Away From It All
- Tourist Attractions
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets considered
- wheelchair inaccessible
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Bathroom 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, Shower Enclosure
- Ensuite shower room to Bedroom 1 with washbasin, plus heated towel rail. First floor Bathroom with bath, overhead shower, washbasin and wc, plus heated towel rail. Separate wc on ground floor, with washbasin.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6 (3 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 has a large double bed, with an ensuite shower room with wash basin, plus heated towel rail. Bedroom 2 has a double bed. Bedroom 3 has twin beds. All with storage facilities.
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: The house is centrally heated, and there is an open fireplace in the living room. The house is comfortably furnished and tastefully decorated, in a mixture of French and English styles, with a winding stone staircase, natural stone walls and tiled floors. It is child-friendly, with safety gates at the top of the stairs, a cot and high chair. Antique plates and china decorate the shelves and kitchen dresser, and the decoration is warm and welcoming. The dining area is equipped with a pine table and wicker chairs. Outside: The garden area is basically a large field, regularly mown, circled by trees and bushes which provide plenty of blackberries in the summer. There is an airer in the garden, and an outside hose pipe. There is a covered garage area, plus ample parking space in the garden. Access to the cottage is via a terrace at the rear of the house, which in the summer has flowering clematis and lavender bushes, plus pots of flowers. The terrace is equipped with a table and six chairs, plus parasol, and a BBQ. Garden games are available. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All bedlinen (except for the cot) is included with a spare set left for stays over one week. Towels, tablecloths and kitchen linen are included for house use. Linen will be washed and the house cleaned after departure. Other: The bedrooms are attractively and freshly decorated, with comfortable beds and tasteful linen. Two of them overlook the garden. Ample storage space is available for clothes.