Farmhouse in Mqabba, Malta - Located in Traditional Maltese Town
Originally a 'palace' in medieval times and more recently a small farm Ta Torri has since been restored to retain a simple style of accommodation but with all mod cons. Ta Torri is a listed property and the colonnaded walkway in the outer garden is one of only 3 remaining on the island. The garden is very extensive and surrounded by high walls affording total privacy for swimming and sunbathing. It is on the outskirts of Mqabba but a 5 minute walk brings you to the church square and shopping for provisions. 2011 WIFI installed.
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
Guestbook comments from the owner
A wonderful place, much more spacious than expected. The whole place is so full of character.
Malta for sun, ta Torri for fun. Malta for rest, Ta Torri the best.
You can't help but relax in this beautiful traditional farmhouse. Ta Torri is an oasis of peace away from everything.
We are back from a wonderful stay in Malta. Ta Torri was fantastic - the kids loved spending time there exploring and playing, and the swimming poll was a big hit
What a wonderful time we had in your beautiful property. We found it difficult to leave the enchantment of Ta Torri to explore the area. To stay in such an historical place was an absolute pleasure.
Thanks for making your house available to us - it was a great experience and worth every penny.
We had a fantastic time at Ta Torri. The place is absolutely beautiful and huge!
5 based on 2 holidaymaker reviews
We arrived after midnight and had a quick wander round the gardens which seemed both extensive and lovely. Then collapsed into bed and awoke to really explore. Oh what a place, the building was well furnished, clean and welcoming. The owner had given us a map showing where all the local shops were and we set out to explore with confidence. The baker was, as always with the Maltese, very, very friendly and the bread was delicious. Local shops were within easy walking distance even though we had rented a car we never used it around the town as it was so nice just to walk and talk to the locals. We have been to Malta many times and stayed in villas before but this one is very special. Our son is wheelchairbound from a car accident but could go anywhere in the gardens and staying in the Tower could manage most things for himself. Robert, the gardener, turned up early the first day to make sure that the ramps that were around the place were suitable and lengthened one and widened a couple of others to make them safer for him. The peace and tranquility of Ta Tori will never be forgotten. We certainly didn't want to leave and will definitely return. It is close to the airport but the plane noise is not intrusive and getting there was easy with the directions given to us by the owner. All in all a wonderful break and a wonderful setting. Not too far from any of Malta's many attractions, both historical and retail if you need them or just sit in the wonderful gardens and chill out.
We stayed in this beautiful house in may just gone.
It was a pleasant experience and will be back once the children are a bit older youngest is 19 months old.
On the whole we all loved mqabba the locals was very friendly and helpful towards us, George from the fruit and veg store was absolutely fantastic and Alfred the baker well what can I say the bread and Maltese sweet bread delicious yum yum. Also the post office staff were very friendly indeed.
Would most definitely be back in a few years
Activity and Interests
The South Western coastline is 15 (max) minutes by car (the bus also goes from the Church square). Swimming here is off rocks. Sandy beaches are to the North of the island (50 mins by car) and justify a 'day trip' Most of these places offer various water sports, pedaloes, jet skis, scuba diving etc.
Malta International airport is 10 minutes drive away. Car hire is recommended but not essential. The bus leaves from the Square every 1/2hr to Valletta. By car all the main attractions are within easy reach (25 mins to Valletta or the silent city of Mdina) Prehistoric temples 15 mins by car. The ferry terminal for Sicily and thence to Italy is 20 mins drive or to Gozo just under the hour.
Malta is a relatively small island and nowhere is very far. Almost every point of the island can be reached within the hour. The island of Gozo is within 2 hours even allowing for the ferry crossing and is well worth a day trip.
Mqabba is an old unspoilt quarrying village. Everything is available; viz banking (with hole in wall) good pharmacy, excellent butcher, fruit and veg, deli and general provisions. Just round the corner from Ta Torri is Alfred the baker who provides fresh, warm Maltese bread every morning,- even Sunday. The people are very friendly. There are no 'tourist facilities' (good!) but a couple of bars where you can watch important football matches and have a game of snooker. There are no restaurants in Mqabba but it is well worth the drive to the local fishing villages for everything from 'bar meals' to good dinners.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
We try hard not to ask people to leave until it is time for them to go to the airport. If it is a sameday changeover then the cleaners have to have access by 9am because it is such a large property to clean but there is plenty of room to manoevre.
Notes on prices:
Prices shown are for the property per week in GBP, for 8 persons including babies under 2 years. Ta Torri is not available for long Winter lets.
25% to confirm a booking
75% payable 2 months before commencement of holiday
- Available arrival
- Air Conditioning
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Ensuite shower room to bedroom 1 shower,washbasin and WC. Separate bathroom (shower over) washbasin and WC for bedrooms 2 and 3. Ensuite bathroom to Tower bedroom 4,bath with shower over wash basin and WC. Downstairs cloakroom with hand basin and WC
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 9
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 9 (4 Bedrooms) plus wooden and travel cots Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with double bed and en-suite shower room. Bedroom 2 with king size bed. Bedroom 3 with twin beds and an adjoining single bedded room. Ideal for children Bedroom 4 (in the Tower) with double bed and en-suite bathroom. Ideal for older persons.
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: All the bedrooms and the kitchen and lounge have air conditioning. At the very beginning and end of the season it can be cool at night but all beds have duvets and there are various heaters. The gounds are completely enclosed so children can not get lost although obviously supervision is necessary around the pool. Outside: The garden is divided into an inner courtyard and outer garden. The Inner courtyard has a stone dining table and also cafeteria style tables and parasols. Both areas provide many opportunities for relaxing, sunbathing and dining in sun or shade. There is a portable gas BBQ. As well as the pool there is an outdoor table tennis table and petanque area. The beautiful stonework and garden make Ta Torri an ideal venue for gardeners and photographers. The garden is also home to butterflies, geckos, salamander and chameleon. These creatures are small, shy and harmless and must not be harmed in any way. Utility Room: Washing machine. Dish washing machine. Iron and ironing board. Second fridge - very useful as a drinks fridge. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Bed linen is provided and changed weekly. Own bath and sunbathing towels necessary. Kitchen towels/tea towels provided. Maid service could be arranged but cost extra. The garden and pool are maintained at no cost. Other: Small reception room with WIFI and tourist information.