Villa in Estombar, Lagoa, Algarve, Portugal - Stunningly Restored and Unique. Pool and Freshwater Pond.
Quinta de Oxalá is a stunning restoration and extension of an old farmhouse, perfect for a family holiday with a wide south facing veranda where everyone gathers for meals and leisure time. The house is uniquely designed, filled with antiques, interesting details and furnishings. There are plenty of spaces for everyone to find a favourite spot both indoors and outdoors, three verandas, two sitting rooms and many other outdoor areas to choose from. You can decide to dine indoors, on the spacious veranda or under an old carob tree shading the barbecue area overlooking the swimming pool. Beside the pool is a vine shaded terrace and a water fonte. A shaded bench beneath olive trees overlooks the water-lily pond. The farmhouse sits in open countryside on the outskirts of a small, unspoilt village. 3 golf courses and the fabulous sandy beaches of Carvoeiro and Ferragudo are within a few kilometres. Ideal for a family holiday or romantic getaway.
About the Owner
BJ is from Africa. In 1961 after independence in Tanganyika, the family with 7 children sailed across the seas to a new, hardly less wild environment in the Algarve, on the coast at Praia da Rocha. They bought an inn, the Solar Penguin and started life anew. Barbara Jane (BJ) pursued an artistic career, working in film as designer. Film took her all over the world. Portugal is once again her home. It has changed a lot since 1962, tourism, democracy and EEC membership have brought it swiftly into the 21st century and has become a comfortable as well as friendly place to live and to holiday. BJ also travels regularly to Tanzania making films. This gives her opportunity to be where she is happiest, on safari photographing the African wilderness or in Portugal. Welcome to her home, Algarve.
Guestbook comments from the owner
-We come to Oxalá every year, the children treat the quinta like a second home and won't go anywhere else. Fam. le Coze.
-I tore myself away from Oxala, it wasn't easy. Saudade saudade ... do I know the meaning of that word by now ... that veranda ... heaven!
C v/d Molen.
From the Owner
“Exploring the unspoilt village of Estombar I saw a 'for sale' sign, went down the path and saw the almonds, the olive trees, the space, what a beautiful place! And a tumbledown farmhouse just inviting restoration.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Ask about our Painting Holidays.
Wide sandy beaches and coves along the coast at Carvoeiro are from 4kms. Windsurfing, sailing and safe swimming for children at Ferragudo 4kms.
Faro airport 56km. Car recommended. Main bus route and train station are only 10 minutes walk away.
Village of Estombar is 5 minutes walking distance. Carvoeiro and Ferragudo beaches 5 kms. Portimao and Lagoa 5 kms. The Moorish Castle at Silves 9 kms.
Within walking distance ATM, chemist, morning marketplace and small grocery stores, catholic church, cafés, bars and restaurants in Estombar village. Slide and splash Waterpark 1km. Zoomarine dolphinarium 14km. Fontes freshwater spring pool, picnic site and amphitheatre 1 km. Carvoeiro Club Tennis Club and Gymnasium 3km. River cruises from Portimão harbor 5 km. Horse riding 9 kms.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
1 Oct 2016 - 31 Oct 2016
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
This property is ideal for 2 people or up to 8 people.
Changeover Day is Flexible.
Prices are for the property per week in Euros. Extra days pro-rata.
Air conditioning cooling/heating is extra on request.
Discount for long lets in winter months by arrangement.
Deposit - 30% by cheque or bank transfer to hold booking.
Payment in full plus 150 euros returnable damages deposit 7 weeks prior to arrival.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Private and relaxed for just 2 or plenty of space for 8 people. The big, south facing veranda, so important on holiday in the Algarve, where you eat, play, snooze and entertain. The natural warmth of the pool with a large shallow end for children to play. So many places to choose from to relax. Oxalá is an indoor-outdoor heaven, lots of sun and lots of shade.”
- Farm Holidays
- Air Conditioning
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Pantry Items
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Music Library
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair accessible ...
- live theatre
- water parks
- winery tours
- bird watching
- eco tourism
- horse riding
- scenic drives
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- deepsea fishing
- pier fishing
- bay fishing
- Shower room 3 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath with Shower
- Shower room 2 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- There are 4 bathrooms. 2 bathrooms with showers in main house. 1 bathroom with bath/shower in Carob suite. 1 roll-in wheelchair bathroom off the main veranda. This is convenient for showering before or after swimming.
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 2 - 2 Single Bed
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, 1 Cot
- Bedroom 3 - 1 Double Bed
- Bedroom 4 - 2 Single Bed, 1 Sofa bed/Futon
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 4 in Main house + 4 in Carob suite. Notes on bedrooms: Master bedroom in main house with double bed. Bedroom in main house with twin beds. Double room in Carob Suite with double bed. Double room in Carob Suite with twin beds. Cot or child's bed available.
- Golf ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: The house is an old farmhouse with very thick walls and a wide veranda which keep the house cool in the hot months, there are fly-screens on bedroom windows. There are fans and/or air conditioners throughout the house. Outside: There is a large graveled parking area. Shaded south-facing verandas with dining tables and a hammock. Carob tree shaded, fully equipped barbecue area with ample seating. Pool with large shallow-end for children which warms to a pleasant 27º in the summer, warm enough to use from April to October. The farm has a friendly cat called Petrol who lives strictly outdoors. Trained dogs are welcome if they like cats and can live outdoors, dogs are not allowed in the house. The property is spacious, 2 hectares of land with ancient olive trees and large pond attracting myriad birdlife like wild ducks and herons, tended by resident caretaker Joaquim and close to the busy little village of Estombar. The sounds of village life can be heard from the Quinta de Oxalá; haymakers, tractors, church bells, dogs and cockerels, children in the schoolyard and the horn of the baker selling bread are all close by. Perfect peace and quiet is not to be found at Oxalá, this is genuine country life in Algarve. Utility Room: Iron and Board, vacuum cleaner. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Bed linen and bath towels, pool and kitchen towels included, and changed weekly or when needed. Maid-service 3 days a week. Pool serviced weekly. Other: The whole house is lovingly restored, extended and modernized, strewn with carpets and kilims and Asian and African antique pieces from our travels.