Traditionally Spanish, Private Location, Mountain Views, private enclosed pool
This is a traditional 2 bedroom farmers cottage, sleeping 4 people. Set in an olive grove with spectacular views, which can be enjoyed from the pool area; or while having a BBQ on the patio. With an indoor working fireplace, traditional Spanish kitchen and beamed ceilings, the cottage is quaint and full of character. For families with children it offers a secure gated swimming pool area, a travel cot and a travel stair gate. Ideal also for couples wanting the peace and tranquility which the countryside has to offer and a good walking area. 10 minutes drive from 3 different villages including the most picturesque village of Comares and 5 minutes walk from the local bar/restaurant. 45 minutes drive from the beaches and attractions on the coast; or a 2 hour drive from the skiing in the Sierra Nevada, this really is a holiday which will offer plenty of variety! Mountain Bikers and walkers will also enjoy Montes de Malaga, a nature reserve which is 20 minutes drive from the house.
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
We live in England with our three children. We manage to go over to our house in Spain once or twice a year, but wish it was more often! We love the peaceful life in rural Andalucia, where we can truly relax and get away from our busy working life in the UK. Our children love being in Spain - both in the summer when they can make full use of the pool, or in the winter when they enjoy the log burning fire and the pretty walks in the area. Holidays there offer us space, fresh air, privacy and a truly relaxed lifestyle. In April we try to go skiing while we are there, the two hour drive to Sierra Nevada is fine for a day trip, where we can catch the low season cheaper ski prices. My husband and I grew up in Cape Town, and this rural area of Spain reminds of us of the rural cape: rolling hills, pretty countryside and very peaceful. We bought the house in order to have a bolthole: somewhere to go away from our busy lives and jobs, so you won't find wifi or tv here! When we visit, we like to spend time tending to the fruit trees and have started planting some vegetables too - so if anything is ripe when you are there, help yourself! If this sounds like your cup of tea (or glass of sangria!) do come and enjoy our little cottage in a very pretty part of Spain!
Guestbook comments from the owner
We had an excellent stay in this charming house located in the middle of the mountains of Andalucia. The house is really ideal for alternate the visits and the lazing around at the edge of the swimming pool. There has everything it takes to the interior and meals under the pergola with a view of the mountains are really very picturesque. We will keep a very good memories. On the spot, Claire is always available as well as her husband. Since the home is however to the gap, it takes 30 minutes to reach the motorway.
LIANE, there should be the route schedule for the week or there is the Féria to Colmenar because the road is closed.
Thank you and see you soon
4.6 based on 5 holidaymaker reviews
Easy enough to find. At least 1.6 engine car required due to steep hills! Location pefect for us. We had a wonderful relaxing week which is exactly what we wanted. Cottage very pretty, perfect size. Hot water a bit hit & miss. Fine for washing but had to boil kettle to wash dishes. Only discovered how to actually get hot water when mgr came to clean pool & showed us the "knack" required to get the boiler to fire. Must stress this is the only negative!!! Would love to visit again for longer, so much to see & discover. Many thanks for our fabulous week in your cottage.
What a amazing place ! Comfortable, surprisingly spacious behind those doors. Fantastic location and views, the pool area was very inviting and refreshing ! Too short a stay on this occasion, hope to re visit. Roads are definitely not for the faint hearted ! All in all a fantastic hidden gem, Thank you.
Wonderful cottage to escape and relax
We stayed here for 9 nights/10 days in June 2015
The villa/cottage is wonderful!
Very remote and peaceful, perfect for a relaxing getaway
The villa has everything you need for your stay (cooking, washing etc.)
There are fantastic views from the house and pool. Right across the valley and up to the hill top town of Comares.
We spent many days just sat in the pool area with a G&T and a good book, then a nice afternoon dip in the pool.
Then just grab yourself some wonderful fresh food from the local supermarket or market and stoke up the BBQ. Sit back and relax with a nice glass of wine!
We had a really relaxing chilled time and will definitely be back in the future
The villa is remote! So you have to hire a car and make sure you get a decent car as the roads in the area are very hilly and the driveway up to the house is also very steep (we had a Fiat Punto 1.4 and it was JUST about capable! Next time i'd hire something more powerful!)
The nearest town with shops is a 15 min drive so stock up your cupboard! However the local bar is only a 5-10 min walk and they were very friendly and hospitable and the food was quite good too (also v. cheap!)
Plenty to see and do in the area if you want to get out and about also, and the owners have helpfully left some information on sights and things to do in the villa
We would definitely love to come back again in the future!
We stayed here for a week. The views are spectacular, the property has every thing you need, and the private pool just adds that little touch of luxury. You will need a car to get your groceries at the local supermarket, and visit the local area. The people in this here are incredibly friendly and very helpful.
Little piece of paradise
Love this place so much we came back again this year. Fabulous little cortijo in the campo, basic but with everything you need. Walking distance to a local bar although the views from the pool area and the shady covered terrace make it an ideal place to chill out, cook good food and drink some local wine without ever leaving. No tv or internet so many hours spent playing backgammon, chess and chewing the fat. If you are after a retreat where you are submerged in campo life this is the place for you!
From the Owner
“We bought in rural Andalucia because of the stunning views, the peaceful, tranquil area and the outdoor space it offered our growing family. We thought the location was ideal - 45 minutes from Malaga, only 10 minutes from the nearest villages and 8 minutes walk to the nearest pub. We prefferred being away from the hustle and bustle of the Costa and wanted to be in the "real" Spain, where traditional customs still exist.”
Activity and Interests
Distance to beaches is approx 45 mins by car. Guests can choose whether to go to the busier beaches around Torremolinos, or to the quieter local Spanish beaches on the other side of Malaga. (e.g. Nerja)
A 45 min uncomplicated drive from Malaga airport to the cottage. We provide clear directions which even have photographs of signposts along the way! Car hire is essential and we are happy to provide information on local car hire companies if needed.
Nearest villages are Colmenar, Riogordo and Comares, which are a 10-15 min drive away. Both Colmenar and Riogordo have their local markets on Thursday mornings and Comares is well worth a visit, as it is recognised as the most beautiful village in Andalucia. There is a 45 min drive to Malaga, or a 90 minute drive to Granada / Alhambra palace. Horseriding is 9 mins drive away and the area is very popular with walkers and birdwatchers. For skiing, the Sierra Nevada is 2 hours drive.
Colmenar has much of what you will need to buy locally - supermarkets, banks, a 24 hour medical centre, pharmacy, butchers and market on a Thursday morning. It also has many local restaurants and tapas bars. The local bar/restaurant is only a 5 mins walk away, where you will get a warm welcome from the locals, who admittedly speak little English but will do their best to accommodate you.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
1 Oct 2016 - 31 Oct 2016
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
1 Jun 2017 - 30 Jun 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
5 Aug 2017 - 17 Aug 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
1 Sep 2017 - 30 Sep 2017
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
We will require a 25% non-refundable deposit at the time of booking. The balance should be paid by cheque or by bank transfer 45 days prior to the departure date. Please contact us by email to book or to ask any queries you may have. All prices shown are per night/week in Euros. Air conditioning is in master bedroom, meter operated, the owner provides five euros per week for use. Extra cards can be purchased during holiday if needed. We do not charge any other extras and our prices on the website are accurate.
Arrival time is 5pm, departure time at 10am. We have no set changeover day, we try to accommodate the dates you wish to travel on provided of course there is availability on those dates.
Notes on prices:
Prices are for the property per week in Euros.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund for cancellations more than 30 days before check-in date.
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 60 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“The property is not far from local amenities such as villages with their own markets, access to 24 hour hospital care if needed, and a local restaurant. The motorways to Malaga and Granada are both excellent, so we can easily either go to Malaga where we can enjoy a day of tourist attractions, or the beach - alternatively we can head towards Granada and the Sierra Nevada in the winter to enjoy the skiing. We think this gives us the best of both worlds! The area is a stunning walking or mountain biking area, with the Montes De Malaga just a 10 minute drive away. The property itself is very private, with its own private pool, ideal for couples or families. The walled pool area offers special safety for people with kids, something not very many properties can offer.”
- Away From It All
- Air Conditioning ...
- Fireplace ...
- Hair Dryer
- Heating ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Kitchen ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- Games ...
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool ...
- children welcome ...
- non smoking only
- pets considered ...
- wheelchair inaccessible
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- mountain biking
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- The family sized bathroom leads off the master bedroom and has a bath, shower overhead, WC and wash basin.
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 4
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 4 (2 Bedrooms) NOTE: the only bathroom is an en-suite from the master bedroom, so this is only suitable for families or couples. Additionally, the bedrooms have large curtains over the doorways, no doors, perfect for a couple or family but not for a group of adults! Notes on bedrooms: Master bedroom with double bed, drawers, hanging rail, air conditioning, heater. Bedroom 2 has 2 single beds (travel cot available if needed). Set of drawers and hanging rail, as well a fan and heater.
- Bicycles ...
- Terrace ...
- Garden ...
- Barbecue ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
- 2 bicycles
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: This property is particularly suitable for children aged 3 plus, as the pool area has a large wall around it and a gate. It is also ideal for couples who will appreciate the serenity and privacy the property offers. Air conditioning available for summer, as are electric heaters and woodburner fireplace in winter. Guests will receive an information pack by email including directions before their departure. The property has easy access. We will be contactable during your stay and you are welcome to email us with any questions before the start of the holiday. The swimmng pool is private and is for sole use of the guests at the property. As we own the 2000m2 land around the property, there are no houses right next to the house, hence the name "Hidden Cottage." We only do rentals from April to October each year, and we have plenty of repeat guests, so early bookings are advised. We try to keep the availability calendar up to date. Outside: Set in a 2000sqm olive grove, the land also has a variety of almond, pomegranate and other fruit treas, which guests can help themselves to! Plums are available in May/June, figs around August/September, grapes in August, pomegranites in October, almonds in the summer and prickly pears in August/September. There is an attractive 8x4m swimming pool with plenty of space for sunbeds and umbrellas which are provided. Outside the front of the cottage is a tiled patio area with built in BBQ, bread oven, partially covered pergola and an outside table big enough for 6 people to use as an outside dining area. To the side of the house is a log swing for the children, and on the other side enough space to park the car at the top of the driveway. Utility Room: The utility room has its own entrance from the outside of the property and houses the gas boiler and washing machine. It also has some toys, sunbeds and inflatables for the swimming pool area! Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: The property will be cleaned before arrival, duvets, pillows and bedding are provided, as are towels for indoor use. Guests should bring their own towels for the swimming pool area.