Trulli near Martina Franca, Taranto, Puglia, Italy - Approx 3 Hours from London! Near Beautiful Towns and fine Restaurants
This renovated trulli is extremely charming and unusual at top of a lane with stunning views across the Itria valley. It has one large central cone with a cathedral like ceiling. Cool in summer and cosy in winter with central heating in all rooms. Bedrooms are a good size. Kitchen is in a further trullo off main sitting room. Elegantly tiled floors throughout. Our central trullo which is the sitting room is- according to our builder- the largest he has ever seen. Large garden with trees, lovely stone balcony with chairs, summer house(with 2 beds), 3 hammocks, outdoor eating area and furniture and beautiful views. Martina Franca is 3 km. It is a stunning and elegant baroque town with a cathedral, churches, large public swimming pool, excellent shopping and restaurants. There are also pretty hill villages in each direction approx 10 kms away with weekly markets and delicious local restaurants with genuinely friendly hosts. Sandy beaches on the Adriatic coast are 25 minutes away and on the Ionian side 30 minutes. Other interesting sites nearby include wonderful caves, castles and old forts.
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
Professor of Sociology.
Guestbook comments from the owner
Of course one could make these up! But here are two from this summer:
From our August guests: Just a note to let you know we had a really enjoyable and relaxing holiday staying at your Trullo.
The Trullo had everything we needed and we visited most of the places covered in the visitors information - Monopoli, Polignano, Alberobello, Ostuni, Egnazia, Lecce, Gallipoli, Taranto, Locorotondo, Cisternino, Conversano, Torre Guaceto etc. Weather was great only a couple of thunderstorms. thought local supermarket was very good and market in Martina Franca amazing.
From our late September guests: Hi - we left today and had a great week at your place. Rain the last day
so perfectly timed. Enjoyed the almonds, apples, walnuts, grapes, and attempted brining some olives.
We have had no complaints except from a couple who liked the trullo but didn't like Puglia- they found the landscape too busy. So the message there is don't expect the rolling Tuscan landscape as Puglia is different.
4 based on 3 holidaymaker reviews
I just love this place and have been back several times. It gives me such a sense of well-being. It embodies the grace and elegance, and sheer abundance of this part of the world. The trulli itself is very comfortable and has everything you could possibly need. You can stay at home lazing in the hammock, or explore any number of magical towns, markets, restaurants, gelateria, beaches. You will want to do all these things, over and over.
Trulli - the real deal
Fantastic place to spend our 20th anniversary. All the arrangements went well - even found it in the dark. Facilities great, dry, heating useful in May, welcoming and a genuine trullo experience - not the artificial tourist version. Nearby Martina Franca is a beautiful town, very friendly, and easy access to all the best places in Puglie. Thoroughly recommended - kids (including those in their 60s!) will love it. One word of advice - get a smallish hire car - it's a narrow lane up to the trulli.
A Trulli amazing time!
We stayed here in September when the weather was warm, but stormy at times. The Trulli is in a good location as there are lots of lovely towns, villages and beaches within driving distance. You must have a car here. It is at the bottom of a hamlet, with two Italian families who live nearby. Its very peaceful and we had some wonderful afternoons drinking wine and lazying in the sunshine. The trulli itself is comfortable, the only issue were the mozzies.
From the Owner
“It is a remarkable and fascinating area of Italy which is still relatively untouched- and the food is delicious and the sun shines and the wine flows! Everyone who has stayed at our trullo has loved it. It has an old feel about it with long established pine trees in the front garden and a walnut tree, and olive and almond trees in the back. If you sit on the roof in the evening drinking your prosecco you look out over the whole Itria valley, hear the breeze whistling through the trees. From here you can walk down the back lanes and explore the extraordinary variety of trull in the area. All in all it is an experience not to be missed!”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Rosa - who is a wonderful cook- will do tailor made traditional Puglian cooking classes for you and your group- of whatever size- in the trullo.
The trulli is about 25 minutes from many sandy beaches on Adriatic coast and 45 minutes from many sandy beaches on Ionic coast. Puglia won the clean beaches of Europe award and the sea is crystal clear with sparkly blue water.
The best way to think about it is that it is 3 and a half short hours from Stanstead airport! Easy for a short or long holiday.Brindisi is 45 minutes away. Bari is one hour. There is also a local train station at Fasano 20 minutes away should you want to come from England, Rome or elsewhere by train. Cars are available at both airports and can be picked up at one and dropped at the other if the flights work out better that way. Car hire is cheap.
Martina Franca is 3 km. It is a beautiful elegant baroque town with a cathedral, churches, large public swimming pool, excellent shopping and restaurants. There are also pretty hill villages in each direction approx 8-10km away. Each of the towns has a weekly clothes fruit and vegetable market and wonderful restaurants. There is a Michelin star restaurant at Ceglia, a cathedral at Ostuni 10km away. Caves at about 20km, oil masserias close by in every direction. Many wonderful trips
Puglia is renowned for its local food which includes delicious local produce and dishes only found in the region. There are many excellent restaurants in the local area where meals for 5 people with wine and 2 courses are often less than 80 euros. We are happy to suggest places to visit, particularly if you are ona long weekend break. The local people are very friendly. There are many interesting towns, villages, caves and sites of historical importance nearby. At Egnazia there is a well preserved Roman town. There are two very good swimming pools within 15 minutes, one at a local hotel where you pay 6 euros a day and have access to sun beds, drinks and snacks or can sit under shady palm trees. Walking, bike riding, water sports at the seaside where the beaches are renowned for being the cleanest in Europe. We have maps of special interest trips in the area- a day visiting masseria or a day visiting the once inhabited caves. There are also local painting courses.
It is important to note that this area of Puglia is very agricultural and full of trullis. Every little plot of land is tilled and used for growing vegetables, almonds, olives and fruit. So this isn't your long rolling hills and olive groves of Italy or deserted countryside. We suggest you don't go to Puglia if that is what you are in search of! For us, and many others. the charm of Puglia is precisely its trulli filled landscape and its little fields, but we don't want you to imagine a landscape that isn't there!
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
1 night minimum stay
for 1 night
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
Contact the owner by email Or text. Deposit of 30% to secure booking. Remaining 70% to be paid one month prior to departure. 50 euros deposit to be included in final payment to be refunded if there are no breakages etc. In winter months an extra deposit of 25 euros a day will be added to cover heating costs. 50 euros is charged for cleaning at the end of your stay.
Flexible - you can arrive and leave when you want and visit for short or long breaks.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Friendly people, fascinating architectures, fabulous food and wine, sun, abundant fresh produce growing everywhere dropping off the trees. This is the "real" Italy where you can step back in time.”
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- pets considered
- theme parks
- horse riding
- scenic drives
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness centre
- laundrette - serviced
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- freshwater fishing
- mountain biking
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom with shower and limitless hot water, wc, bidet and sink.
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 4/6 (2 Bedroom) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with double bed. Bedroom 2 twin or double bed(s). Bedrooms interconnect. Those sleeping in the back room thus need to walk through the other one to visit the bathroom at night. Outside Summer house has twin/double beds if needed.
- Notes on accommodation: The house is very suitable for children of all ages as there are no stairs and a large safe protected garden. There is central heating and electric heaters and blankets for the winter. This makes a perfect trullo for a short winter, spring or autumn break as it is cosy inside.The trullo is very cool in summer even at the height of the season. The front door is wide enough for a wheelchair. All accommodation is on one floor. There is an outdoor staircase to the roof balcony where there are chairs to sit and read, admire the view or enjoy that evening glass of prosecco! Fruit and nut trees in the garden make an autumn visit particularly delightful. You can even pick your own olives. We have 3 hammock and a volley ball set, and lots of children's games. There are many guide books inside the house and suggestions where to visit and eat in the hidden and delicious local restaurants. If you choose a short break we can help you make the most of your weekend by e.g booking restaurants for you. Outside: The trulli is in a hamlet. The front garden consists of a paved patio and shaded area of beautiful old pine, almond and walnut trees where 3 hammocks can be hung. One neighbour's house is hidden behind trees, the other is an old adjoining trullo over a dry stone wall. There is an outdoor table and chairs and deck chairs for sunbathing. There is a beautiful stone balcony with views over the Itria valley and plenty of sitting space. There is a large summer house with two beds and chairs, and heating. The perfect writer's retreat. The back garden is full of olive and almond trees, a fig tree, apple, plum and pomegranate trees. From there you can watch our lovely old neighbour tending his vegetable garden. Cicco works in his garden all year long, although he lives in town. His daughter and partner live in the trull during the summer months and are very friendly and helpful neighbours. If you are lucky Cicco may give you fresh tomatoes or other delicious products that are in season. Utility Room: Washing machine. Fridge/freezer, iron, hair dryer. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Linen and towels are included.The property is cleaned after each visit by Rosa and we ask guests to leave 50 euros on the table for her when they leave. Her husband Vito looks after the house, and will help with all your problems and repairs. Other: Summer house at the back has two beds, electricity and heating. No washing facilities. 10m from the house along a stone path. Beautiful traditional stone balcony with views across Itria valley for reading, reflecting and a glass of prosecco at sunset.