Country House near Savignac-Ledrier, Dordogne - Peaceful country setting
'Le Verger' is a charming and comfortable old stone house (120 sq.m.), set in its own large garden with views onto the rolling Dordogne-Perigord countryside. The attic bedrooms feature original beams and stone walls. The front terrace is ideal for sunbathing and barbecues. Nearby horse riding, lake, ideal for walks and bird watching, within reach of the prehistoric wall art of the Lascaux caves, and the famous Dordogne villages (Sarlat, Les Eyzies). 'Le Verger' is situated at the meeting point of three French departments (Dordogne, Correze and Haute Vienne), all fascinatingly different in their landscape, building style, history and gastronomy.
Top Traveller Review
Charming and peaceful retreat
About the Owner
David and Michele are both Francophiles and have lived in France a collective 10 years. When not in Cambridge, we run intensive French residential courses in our house, 'Le Verger' (Dordogne) and its converted gite in the grounds, 'La Porcherie' (The Piggery). Both enthusastic teachers, our courses give all our students a massive confidence boost in French at beginner, GCSE and A level French. Our new course : French
for living and holidays.
David is a writer and teaches creative writing. Contact us if you are interested in a Writer's Retreat: space, peace and quiet and time to write that novel or memooire with all meals (including wine) and guidance if neeeded. For both French and Writing Retreats, get a group of 4 or more together and get your place discounted....
Guestbook comments from the owner
'We found Le Verger charming, so authentically French, so peaceful and quiet, yet within easy reach of excellent restaurants and shops in unspoilt Perigord villages. Great for walking and unwinding in beautiful countryside. The kids loved boating and water skiing at Rouffiac Lake'. C. Newbury (UK).
'We loved the quiet and the inky black night sky with shooting stars. The house is so French and authentic, a great location for exploring the Dordogne (beautiful Sarlat) without the crowds." J. Henderson (UK)
2 holidaymaker reviews
Charming and peaceful retreat
We really enjoyed our stay at Le Verger, set in the beautiful French country side, it was so peaceful and charming! The house had so much character, was very clean and well equipped and we enjoyed eating our meals looking out over the wonderful landscape. There were many things to do with-in easy reach, including exploring the near-by towns, restaurants, historic Forge and the Rouffiac Lake. I can't wait to come back, thank you for a wonderful stay!
Beautiful old French farmhouse set amid p
Beautiful old French farmhouse set amid peaceful, rolling hills. Village with bar just 20 minutes walk away and, within 5-10km, numerous villages that time forgot .
The house is furnished with all you might need and decorated tastefully in the old French style, very comfortable. Views at the back of the house are glorious and make a wonderful setting for an al fresco breakfast.
This house sleeps many and is perfect for a family reunion. We enjoyed canoeing on the river, visiting the Lascaux caves, seeing where Josephine Baker founded her rainbow children's home, exploring fabulous ancient towns and simply hanging out together, eating outside and BBQ-ing together.
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
For further details on Creative Writing Retreats or Le Verger French Language Courses (general or A-Level) please contact the owners. (accommodation for up to 12 in Le Verger and The Piggery and Cabins).
The beautiful and very popular Rouffiac Lake and leisure centre (water skiing, boating, swimming) 12kms. Free entry, cafe and restaurant, life guard at set times.
Limoges Airport (70kms) Ryanair and FlyBe operates to London Stansted, Liverpool, Southhampton, Bristol, Nottingham and Edinburgh regularly (car essential).Brive airport (40 km)
Savignac-Ledrier village Chateau and forge (1.5km): bread depot, restaurant, cafe, post office. Daily boulangerie van. Payzac and Lanouaille villages (7km): supermarkets,banks, boulangeries, restaurants, open market. Rouffiac Lake and Leisure centre (water skiing, boating, swimming (12km). Hautefort Chateau and Gardens (20kms);Lascaux prehistoric cave art (45kms); Pompadour Chateau and stud farm and (17 km);Brive (30km); the famous village of Sarlat and Les Eyzies troglodyte residences (70 km).
'Le Verger' is set in a tiny hamlet of 4-5 houses within 1.5km walk to the pretty village of Savignac-Ledrier with its Chateau and ancient Forge on the picturesque River Auvezere. You can eat out in the excellent restaurant here and also buy your morning baguette. Horse riding (2k). A 7km drive takes you on to the pleasant larger village of Payzac with a supermarket and a wider choice of restaurants and bars and a bank. The property is ideal for birdwatching, walking the Auvezere Circuit which takes you along the river gorge, for river canoing or water skiing at the Rouffiac Lake. There is a wealth local markets within a few kilometres. Visit the beautifully laid out gardens of Hautefort Chateau (20km) or the lively 'truffle city' of Perigueux (50km) one of France's gastronomic centres. There is a wealth of excellent local markets.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Price|
3 Sep 2016 - 29 Oct 2016
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
for 3 nights
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£150|
25% non-refundable deposit to secure property; 75% balance 8 weeks before stay. Cancellation charges (up to 8 weeks -no cancellation charge). 4-8 weeks -50% refunded. 2-4 weeks - 25% refunded. Less than 2 weeks - no refund.
Changeover day is Saturday in July and August, flexible the rest of the year. Departures by 11 am. Arrivals from 4pm.
Notes on prices:
Prices shown are for the property per week in UK Pounds.
For The Piggery prices see property ref FR5702
Two Cabins (each sleeps 1) rent at £90 per week or part thereof (+10 euros cleaning). Subject to availability. Guests use the bathrooms in the main house.
There is a 150 euro security deposit payable in cash on arrival.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund for cancellations more than 7 days before check-in date.
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
- Available arrival
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets considered
- wheelchair inaccessible
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- First floor bathroom with bath/shower over and WC. Attic bathroom with bidet, sink, shower and WC.
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 8+ (4 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 with double bed. Bedroom 2 with twin beds. Bedroom 3 with twin beds. Bedroom 4 with double bed. (possibility of renting two separate cabins, each sleeps 1)
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: The property is in its own gardens to the front, side and rear and is located off a very quiet country road, and so safe for children. The house is centrally heated (heaters in attic rooms). Parking for 2 vehicles. For larger parties, Le Verger may be rented with The Piggery, a converted stone gite in the grounds, which sleeps a further 2 /4 (see property ref. FR5702 at www.ownersdirect.co.uk).There are also 2 charming wooden cabins in the grounds ( each sleeps 1) to let separately. Outside: Le Verger has large gardens to the front (entirely enclosed and gated) and side and the back garden is open to the orchard with views onto rolling countryside. In season there are cherry, greengage, nectrine, fig, apple and pear trees as well as fruit bushes. The sunny front terrace is south west facing and has a BBQ, table and chairs and parasol, and swing seat. The back garden also has table and chairs for a choice of dining spots. The converted Piggery in the grounds of Le Verger is available for rent by arrangement (sleeps 2/4) and there are 2 charming cabins to let ( each sleeps 1). Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All laundry except towels are provided. There is a laundry charge of 60 euros payable in cash direct to the housekeeper at key handover with the security deposit (150 euros). Please wash up dishes and empty rubbish/ recycling on the last day. Other: All rooms have good views, the second floor bedrooms have original fireplaces while the entirely renovated attic bedrooms and bathroom have oak beams and stone walls.