8 Apartments in Tudes, Nr. Potes, Picos de Europa, Cantabria, Northern Spain - Quiet, Pretty Mountain Village, An hour from Coast
La Casa is a former farmstead sensitively restored and adapted to create top quality self-catering accommodation. The rustic atmosphere and character of the centuries-old property have been preserved with modern amenities added. Enclosed within its own wall, it is a village within a village. The apartments are fully independent, spacious, well equipped and furnished to a very high standard. The decoration includes murals based on medieval illustrations. There are excellent views of the Picos mountains. Communal areas include a large pool, gardens and a social room. Tudes is sunny and picturesque and its 30-odd inhabitants can still be seen herding their cattle and sheep through its streets. "A quintessential mountain village with its customs and traditional architecure well preserved in a magnificent natural setting" (in the words of the judges of the Village of the Year competition). There is a delightful tavern (under the same ownership as La Casa). The area is a walker's paradise.
Details for holiday apartment La Casuca (2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 4/6), 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6, 1 Bathroom
The apartment, a conversion of a farm outbuilding, is fully independent and on 3 floors.
On the ground floor there is a vestibule and a bedroom with two single beds, a chair tht converts into a supplementary and windows looking onto an internal patio.
The first floor has a lounge with kitchen, and bathroom.
The lounge has a TV, DVD and table and chairs.
Kitchen appliances include washing machine, dishwasher, oven, hob, microwave, fridge, kettle and toaster.
The bathroom has a small bath, shower and wash basin.
The second bedroom, with large double bed, is under the eaves. It has room for a supplementary bed and/or cot.
There are lovely mountain views across the tiled roofs.
The apartment, which has central heating, contains many original oak beams, the remaining wood being chestnut and pine, and some exposed original stone walls. It is decorated with delightful oil paintings.
There is a balcony (access from the lounge) with lovely views of the church and the mountains.
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
Guestbook comments from the owner
"A fantastic fortnight on the mountains and on the beach. It's not often you come somewhere and find that the reality is even better than your expectations but this place certainly was. Thank you for a great stay." Steve, Helen, Harry, Anna and Ed. Henley-on-Tames, Oxfordshire. August 2010
What a beautiful place to stay! Fabulous scenery, mountains, rivers and villages with colourful flowers everywhere. We travelled from Northern Ireland and found the roads a bikers dream! Saw birds of prey, butterflies and deer in the mountains. We will certainly return! Tony and Lucia are lovely hosts and the accommodation is five star. James and Alison. June 2012.
Beautifully decorated and well-equipped apartment, and a pool too! We enjoyed dinner in the garden, the nonchalant chickens in the square, the bar, the walks from the leaflets provided, and two days of hot sun. We hope to return. Peter, Hilary and Mary. October 2012
1 holidaymaker review
This was just perfect for us. Peaceful except for distant cow bells and fantastic views across the Picos. Our accommodation was ideal, comfortable bed, well equipped kitchen and a terrace to sit and read on. A welcome bottle of wine. Lots of walks from the village itself. Potes is a lovely little town and we were there during some sort of fiesta. Supermarkets for all foodstuffs and plently of choice for eating out. The taberna in Tudes was convenient for a drink and meal.
Activity and Interests
Tudes is 25 miles from the Cantabrian coast, where there are many good, sandy beaches. The journey by car takes about an hour.
Santander (70 miles, 1 1/2 hours by car). There are Ryanair flights to and from Stansted.
Asturias (Oviedo) (85 miles, 1 3/4 hours by car). Easyjet flights to and from Stansted.
Bilbao (130 miles. 2 1/2 hours by car). Easyjet, BA and Iberia flights.
Ferries: There are Plymouth-Santander and Portsmouth-Bilbao crossings.
You can reach Tudes by bus (from Santander) and taxi (from Potes) but a car is recommended.
Tudes is 6 miles (10 minutes by car) from Potes, the main market town and centre of local life.
It is 8 miles from the Santa Toribio Monastry (where the largest surviving piece of Christ's cross is held), 10 miles from La Hermida Gorge and 20 miles from the Fuente De cable car.
In our bar acroass the road - La Taberna del Ingles - you can have breakfast lunch or dinner (in the form of light meals or snacks), play pool or darts, visit the centuries-old kitchen preserved as a mini museum - as well, of course, as having a drink!
The nearest shops and restaurants are in Potes and La Vega (both a 10 minute drive). There is a full range of services (including supermarkets, banks etc) in Potes.
For those who wish to do more than just relax and sample the local cuisine there are many activities available including:
- going up the Fuente De cable car
- walking (with a number of lovely walks that can be done from Tudes itself; we provide descriptions).
- visiting nearby villages (there are over 50 delightful villages and hamlets in the valleys and lower mountain slopes, which still live predominantly from farming).
- birdwatching (there is a great wealth of bird life, and also of wild animals and wild flowers).
- quads and 4 x 4
- visiting the coast
- Booking Notes:
All bookings are to be made direct with the owners.
A 30% deposit is payable at the time of booking, the balance at the end of the holiday.
As far as possible we are flexibille on changeover day, and the exact length of stay.
Arrival time: normally not before 14.00.
Departure time: normally 12.00.
- Available arrival
Pool / Spa
- Outdoor Pool
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Notes on accommodation: The establishment consists in total of 8 apartments, of 1, 2 or 3 bedrooms. All have central heating (as well as a wood-burning stove in the lounge). The apartments are suitable for children. The availability calendar relates to all the apartments in La Casa de las Chimeneas ie it shows La Casuca as available if it at least one of the five two (or three)-bedroom apartments is unlet; and Arboles as available if at least one of the three one-bedroom apartments is unlet. The water comes straight from a mountain spring. While we like it, and to date no guests have experienced problems with it, you may wish to consider buying bottled water for drinking. You will find an information pack on your arrival which includes details of services in the area and activities, and descriptions showing half a dozen walks that can be done from the village. In July an August we normally allow an overall maximum of 5 people in La Casuca and 4 in Arboles. Pets not allowed. Outside: The communal area of the establishment includes an attractive, curved infinity pool, 13 metres at its longest and 4 metres at its widest, a wooden-roofed entrance with seating beneath, ideal for enjoying a quiet drink, terraced and garden areas (with a table football and other games) and a social room with pool table, large screen TV, DVDs, games, maps, information leaflets, a small library, and free Internet access with WIFI. There are swings in the village square.