Villa in Capo d'Orlando, Sicily - Elevated Position, Overlooking the Aeolian Islands
‘L’Aquilone’ (the kite), in the hills above Capo d’Orlando at 1000 feet elevation, has breathtaking views of the Aeolian Islands, Capo d’Orlando, and the beaches at San Gregorio. The property has beautiful, terraced gardens and an infinity pool. The house is luxuriously furnished throughout (including antique pieces) and has approximately 2400 square feet of living space. There is a spacious terrace with a bougainvillea covered pergola complete with outside dining area and a large Weber grill. Sunbathers can enjoy the pool terrace, the private lawn behind the house, or the main terrace. Beautiful weather can be expected in spring and autumn; summers are very pleasant because of the altitude. Bedrooms are air conditioned; the living room has a wood-burning fireplace. Sandy beaches at San Gregorio and Capo d’Orlando, which are never crowded even at high season, are 12 minutes drive. The town of Capo d’Orlando has excellent shopping, supermarkets and several good restaurants.
About the Owner
I am originally from Milan but now live in London with my American husband and close to my two grown daughters. I have a hectic life in London where I run Venturi’s Table, the UK’s first Corporate Cookery Centre with my daughter Letizia and Italian Secrets, a boutique Italian catering company. L’Aquilone is my Sicilian hideaway which I happily escape to every year, normally with a host of family members and friends.
I have successfully used the Owners Direct website for seven years.
Guestbook comments from the owner
"An amazing place! It's a sanctuary, where one forgets the rest on the world."
"We have now taken the delighful l'Aquilone twice, once never been enough. High up on a hill above the town of Cap D'orlando and with stunning views out to the Aeolian Islands it is the quintessential holiday villa, extremely comfortable, well equipped and maintained. High points of a stay at l'Aquilone include buying fresh produce locally and preparing a meal in the cook's kitchen, dining on the outdoor terrace, spending a hot afternoon in the infinity pool, plunging into the sea on the local beaches and boat trips around the islands. Anna Venturi, the owner, is very responsive and helpful from the initial contact and provides a detailed guide to the area."
From the Owner
“When I first visited Capo D’Orlando I couldn’t believe how unspoilt it was. It is not the best known Sicilian town on the tourist trail and so combines an authentic, lively town with some beautiful beaches. The fact that it is a popular holiday resort for mainland Italians confirms it as a lovely, low key Sicilian destination. The area is also very convenient for visits to the beautiful Aeolian islands and is close to many other picturesque towns and sights.”
Activity and Interests
Beaches at San Gregorio and Capo d’Orlando are 1000 feet below and 2-3 miles away, as the crow flies, and are about 12 minutes drive. Some stretches of beach have surf; some are placid; they vary between fine sand and pebbles. Beaches are uncrowded, even at the height of the season. Several beaches have cafes.
Capo d’Orlando is situated on the north coast of Sicily about an hour west of Messina. It can be reached by air via flights to either Catania or Palermo, which are served by non-stop flights from London, Rome, Milan and other European airports. The motorway passes Capo d’Orlando (two exits), so that the drive from Catania airport or from Palermo airport is quite easy. Hire cars are available at either airport, and a car is recommended for local travel. A car and driver service can be arranged.
Catania is about 150 kilometres from Capo d’Orlando; Palermo is 140; Messina is 75 kilometres and Cefalu’ is about 90 kilometres. The important attractions of Taormina, Monreale, Agrigento, Piazza Armerina, and Erice may be reached via a day trip from Capo d’Orlando.
Hydrofoil service to the Aeolian Islands, which are definitely worth a visit for their unique charm, is available from Milazzo, about 45 km to the east, year round. In the summer there are further service to the islands from Capo d’Orlando (via motor launch – 75 minutes) and from Sant’ Agata, about 30 km to the west (via hydrofoil – 50 minutes). There is a beautiful old hill town, Naso, dating back to the Greek era, above L’Aquilone. Behind the house, the Nebrodi Mountains rise majestically. They are home to dozens of age-old villages, fantastic scenery, great walking opportunities and some superb restaurants. Along the coast to the east is the Sanctuary and Greek and Roman remains at Tindari - highly recommended, while to the west lies the lovely Mediaeval town of Cefalu. The services of an excellent Sicilian cook are available at €40 per hour, and an interpreter can be arranged.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
1 Oct 2016 - 25 Nov 2016
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£892|
Final cleaning fee of € 200.00
Check in time: 3:00 pm
Check out time: 11:00 am
Changeover day is flexible, but Saturday is preferred
Rates are negotiable depending on the duration of the rental period
Notes on prices:
A discount of 10% applies to the second week of a booking. There is a final cleaning charge of €150. An additional discount of 10% applies to the above rates to compensate for the weakened pound sterling.
50% non refundable deposit as booking confirmation; 50% balance 1 month prior to rental start.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“The villa’s views are truly breathtaking…hence its name ‘L’Aquilone’ which means ‘the kite.’ The veranda and the majority of its rooms face onto an amazing panoramic view of the Mediterranean sea and the Aeolian islands and sunsets are almost guaranteed on summer evenings. As the villa is mine and my family’s retreat it has been finished to the highest standards and has a very exclusive and luxurious feel. Clever landscape gardening means the outside is split into private areas which means you can be outside with a group at the same time as enjoying some well deserved 'me time!'”
- Air Conditioning
- Ceiling Fans
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- near the sea
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure
- Ensuite bathroom and shower (to master bedroom). Second bathroom with shower. Third bathroom with shower and tub.
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 10
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 10 (5 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: All bedrooms have sea views. Master king-size bedroom. Second bedroom: twin or king. Third bedroom with twin beds and sea-view balcony. Fourth bedroom: twin or king. Fifth bedroom: twin or king. (Bedrooms are air-conditioned).
- Notes on accommodation: The house is gas central heated; the bedrooms are air conditioned, but because of the elevation, artificial cooling is rarely needed. The living room has a wood-burning fireplace. There are ceiling fans serving the ground floor. A cot and high chair can be made available at extra cost. Since there is no local ADSL service, a wireless modem to connect the tenant's laptop to the Internet can be arranged with the owners in advance. No smoking or pets. Outside: L’Aquilone has beautiful, terraced gardens, featuring native trees, shrubs and flowers. The infinity pool (3 x 5 meters, up to 2.5 meters deep) is set above an olive grove, and has its own terrace with lounges, shower, and a spectacular view. The main terrace has a covered pergola with a table which seats 12. There is a Weber barbecue and a hammock for two. Parking for three cars is available inside the gate. Utility Room: Washing machine. Ironing board, iron, hair dryer. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Kitchen towels, bed linen and bath towels are provided.Towels are changed at mid week. The cleaning lady comes for three hours at mid week. These services are included in the rental rates. Other: Downstairs cloakroom.