House near Retaud, Nr Saintes, Charente Maritime, France - Peaceful Setting 20 Mins From The Beach
With the help of local artisans, we have beautifully restored a 5 bedroom Charantaise house, together with a stone barn dating back from the 18th century, to create a perfect holiday getaway. Set within a small hamlet, it has all the character of old stone walls and original wooden beams, combined with the comforts and mod cons that will make your stay here all the more pleasurable. We are situated in a peaceful rural setting - close to the villages of Retaud and Pisany, only 20 minutes from the beaches of St Georges and Royan and the famous Cognac region, 10 minutes from Saintes and less than an hour from La Rochelle and the premier vineyards of Bordeaux. There is a wide range of activities available locally, including golf, horse riding, cycling and tennis. The cottage lies within 2 acres of fully enclosed gardens, which include a play area as well as a large heated swimming pool/sunbathing area.
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
Guestbook comments from the owner
Comments from our visitors book:
'Back again. What a perfect location for a relaxing holiday,'
'Back for our second visit, even better than last year. We can't keep the kids out of the pool.'
'Another wonderful week at the gite. As always, the perfect hosts.'
2 holidaymaker reviews
A beautiful property in a lovely setting. We went with two other families. 6 adults and 6 kids and it was just perfect. Most days spent by the pool and playing in the gardens. The rooms are spacious and overall we were delighted with the house and cottage. 4 star rating because of the location - which in some ways was just perfect as very quiet, in other ways it was a little too out of the way. Highly recommended to get away from it all and have a complete rest.
We have just returned from a wonderful stay at this beautiful house and cottage. The gardens are well maintained and the pool was a great size for our party of 15. The surrounding area is just superb with great beaches nearby too.
Activity and Interests
The beautiful sandy beaches of St Georges de Didonne and Royan are 20 minutes by car. La Palmyre Beaches and Zoo 30 minutes away. Ile de Re and Ile d'Oleron are about 1 hour.
We are almost equidistant between La Rochelle and Bordeaux airports. The drive from these airports are fairly straightforward and will take you approx 1 hour.
The Historic Roman town of Saintes is a 10 minute drive with Cognac about 30 minutes by car. Retaud and Pisany offer boulangeries,charcuterie, local shops, post offices, restaurants and a pharmacy and are minutes away.
There is so much to do in the Charente Maritime, ‘The second sunniest department in France. It is a beautiful region with wonderful countryside, fields full of sunflowers and grape vines.
There are long white sandy beaches backed by fragrant pine forests for those wanting to relax and recuperate. Local cognac and wine tasting can also help you unwind from the stresses of working life. For the more active, there is walking, cycling and horse riding available locally. There are nearby outdoor pools with water slides and play areas.
For the more adventurous, there are plenty of historic towns and villages, markets, châteaux and forests to visit – and of course seaside resorts such as La Rochelle, Royan and the islands of Oléron, Aix and Ré. The towns of Cognac and Angouleme are 30-40 minutes drive away. There is also the famous Futuroscope theme park - makes a great day-out..
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
Rate 3 2017
4 Sep 2016 - 30 Jun 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
1 Jul 2017 - 9 Sep 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£150|
A non-returnable booking deposit of 20% is required. Please also send the balance of your payment together with a returnable Breakage deposit of £150 at least 8 weeks before the start of your holiday. Outside of peak season, it is possible to book the gites for part weeks/long weekends a maximum of 4 weeks before the arrival date (prices are pro-rated vs full weekly rate).
Changeover day is Saturday, starting on Saturday at 4pm and finishing the following Saturday at 10.00am. If you arrive early you are very welcome to relax by the pool.
Notes on prices:
Outside of the summer period, it may be possible to rent the Cottage only. Please contact us for prices.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Ceiling Fans
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Heated Pool
- Private Pool
- children welcome
- near the sea
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Toilet 1 - Toilet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 3 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 4 - Shower Enclosure
- Main House: Family bathroom with powerful shower, Jacob Delafon super deep bath and WC Separate large shower room with powerful shower Separate WC Cottage: The bathroom has a powerful shower, bath, wc and basin.
- 8 Bedrooms, Sleeps 14
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Bedroom 6
- Bedroom 7
- Bedroom 8
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 14 (8 Bedrooms) Notes on bedrooms: Main House: Bedroom 1, Kingsize bed, ensuite. Bedroom 2, Double bed. Bedroom 3, 2 single beds. Bedroom 4, Double bed, with Mezzanine level Bedroom 5, twin beds. Cottage: Bedroom 1, Double bed Bedroom 2, Double / 2 twins Bedroom 3, Single bed
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: Main House: The high ceilings and the cool interior, together with the beautiful pool and gardens provide an ideal summer vacation residence. Charente maritime has relatively mild autumns and winters and this together with the centrally heated rooms make for an equally pleasurable stay outside the summer season. The log fire in the main living room provides a cosy and warm atmosphere and the large kitchen-dining area is ideal for large family gatherings including Christmas celebrations. There are room fans available in each room. Free wireless internet access. Sorry no pets allowed. Smoking only in the garden please. Cottage: The cottage is designed to be child friendly. The ground floor is spacious and airy with original features including renovated stone wall and exposed beams helping it stay cool on hot summer days. Outside: Guest facilities include a fully enclosed 12x5m swimming pool with sun loungers and umbrellas. The terrace area has table and chairs, umbrella and BBQ. The 2 acres of garden includes a children's activity/play area with plenty of shaded areas for picnics. Utility Room: Main House: Washing machine, WC, storage and racking units for coats, shoes etc, Utility sink and storage cupboards. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All bed linen will be provided. Bath and hand towels will be provided. For stays of more than 1 week, fresh bed linen will be supplied weekly at no extra charge. Please bring beach towels. End of Stay Cleaning - Please enquire. Other: Main House: Games Room - large open fire Study / 6th bedroom - Internet, sofa, desk and cupboards.