Farmhouse in Soussey sur Brionne, Pouilly en Auxois, Burgundy - Secluded Location with Garden, Orchard and fine Southerly Views
The property is a modernised 18th century farmhouse which has retained period features, including the furniture and decoration. It is located opposite a mediaeval village church, with an old walled garden and orchard - in a period Burgundy village. It enjoys fine south westerly views down the Brionne valley, and a sunny terrace in a garden with mature shrubs and trees. The property benefits from a 8x4m pool - exclusive to the property. The property has modern central heating throughout, and there is a large fireplace. Many delightful walks and bike rides are possible. An 18 hole golf course is 10 minutes away by car, and a hard tennis court is close by. Friendly neighbours are there to look after the property, and can help with general queries, but they do not speak much English ! The house has comfort and character, as well as the traditional atmosphere of "la vieille France"
Top Traveller Review
Beautiful location; nicely appointed gite with character
Thank you for your comments and choosing this property
About the Owner
I am an economist, educated in England, but have lived mostly overseas, and now in Mexico where I live with my wife, though we frequently visit Europe. My children now have their own homes, so we invite guests to share the comfort and fun of the homes we have enjoyed in the past, and still do.
We like entertaining family & friends in our homes. I once played sports poorly - fencing and tennis in particular, but now less, perhaps some golf ? Friends call me a gourmet & linguist, even if I am more inclined to music, history and literature.
My French wife is a former banker, but became a magazine editor, & now writes articles on Art & Architecture. She enjoys movies. My mother in law is an interior designer, & has won commissions in France and Mexico. She is a kindly French aristocrat, and has inspired much of the charm of our homes
Guestbook comments from the owner
"Happy farmhouse atmosphere in a quiet village "
"Enjoyed the sunshine and a glass of Burgundy by the secluded pool, while the children splashed about happily in it "
"Great place from which to explore the beauties of Burgundy"
3 based on 4 holidaymaker reviews
A very tired house, not up to standard.
I own a holiday cottage in the UK and I know the standard that is expected by my guests. This cottage fell well below what any traveller would expect. Although set in a beautiful village and with a pretty garden and pool, the inside of this property left a lot to be desired. The furnishings and furniture were very basic, piecemeal and uncomfortable. Many rooms had very suspect electrics and some rooms had bulbs hanging from wires.
I feel that the description given on the site is very misleading to travellers and a more truthful account of the condition of the property should be provided. I also think that the owner should visit other
hoiday lets in the area to see the standard and care that the majority of owners strive to maintain.
beautiful location but house needs attention
We very much enjoyed our holiday in this beautiful part of France but were surprised by the condition of the farmhouse having read the owners description. The house needs some work to bring it up to a suitable standard of comfort and ease of use including the addition of a loo in the en suite bathroom.
A lovely place with great potential!
Lovely area but caution with the description
We had a great holiday at the farmhouse and thankfully the weather was mostly kind so we were able to make almost daily use of the fantastic pool, which was kept spotlessly clean. Not great for children though as little or no safety features. The view from the garden and pool area is terrific.
The surrounding area is amazing with so much history, beautiful villages and towns, good restaurants and great wine.
The house itself was a little tired and could do with updating and clearing of the owners private possessions.
Didn’t quite live up to expectations.
Beautiful location; nicely appointed gite with character
Great holiday; gite is quiet and spacious; conducive for relaxing and chilling; good swimming pool; lovely garden & outdoor areas; plenty of bedrooms; kitchen well equipped; living room comfortable. Great place to explore Burgundy from - easy access to Dijon, Beaune, Côte d'Or, Morvan; gastronomic centre; close enough to Pouilly-en-Auxois to not be isolated; thoroughly recommended - a jewel. Mungo is a delight, and Mde Finelle a treasure.
From the Owner
“I was drawn to this 18th century period farmhouse for its atmosphere of peace in a period village, and with no through traffic. Its location up a valley makes for fine views to the southwest, and of the hills nearby. It is easy of access, something of a gem, easy to run, and enjoys great charm. The village and its vicinity carries the stamp of 'la vieille France' - of a certain timelessness. This can be seen and felt here and in the villages nearby, as well as in the churches and chateaux nearby. The Burgundians are enthusiastic about their food and wine (the best in the world, they say) We agree, and invite you to consider so too! We have brought up a family and entertained their friends (and ours) over the last 40 years. They all still enjoy it, as we do. In brief this house enjoys old traditions and modern comforts.”
Activity and Interests
Special interest holidays:
Hiking in the hills round the property is popular, and routes are marked, but occasionally confusing. Bicycles can be rented at the e tourist office in Pouilly en Auxois. Horse back riding is usually available at Thorey about 12km away.
There are no seaside beaches here! But there is freshwater swimming at the beach in Grosbois (7 km). There is boating on the Burgundy canal 3km away. For the more adventurous, there is swimming in the lakes and reservoirs of the Morvan 30 minutes away.
Fishing can be arranged, though permits are needed: ask the Tourist office for details. More serious fishing is available in the lakes and streams of the Morvan.
Access is essentially by car: Paris, Geneva and Lyon airports are all 2 1/2 hours away, while Calais and the Channel Ports are 5 to 6 hours.
Trains: from Montbard to Paris there are 3 or 4 trains per day take an hour. Dijon-Paris takes 1 3/4 hours, with more frequent departures. Both these stations are 40 minutes away. Dijon/Lausanne is 3 hours train, and Montbard/ Dijon - London is 7 to 8 hours by train (via Lille).
Vitteaux 8km, Pouilly en Auxois 10 km, both with good shops. The mediaeval chateaux of Commarin and Chateauneuf are 18km. Visit Semur en Auxois with its medieval walls ramparts, and town centre - about 22km. The period villages of Flavigny sur Ozerain and Fontenay Abbey 35km, Montbard 40km, Dijon, Beaune and Gevrey Chambertin 50km.
Many delightful walks and treks up and down the valley are possible from the village. These are mostly sign-posted. Tennis is 2km away in Grandchamp. In Pouilly there is a supermarket (SuperU), as well as bars, a good butcher, 2 bakers, grocers, banks and garages. Within an hour of Soussey there are fine restaurants from Michelin 3 star establishments, down to simple good value bistros. La Raquette by the canal is 2km away, and isgood value. Lameloise is the best value top quality restaurant (1 hour ) followed by Bernard Loiseau in Saulieu (25 minutes) and many more modest, but good establishments. Consider Chez Greuse (2 stars) in Tournus (and visit the delightful pink basilica of St Philibert nearby). Pouilly has good restaurants at competitive prices (le le Commerce is best value) while the medieval village of Mont St Jean (20 mins) has 'Le Medieval'. Chateuneuf en Auxois has 2 good restaurants.
The best Burgundy vineyards start in Marsannay, (50km from the farmhouse) then extend roughly south via such renowned names as Gevrey, Nuits St Georges, Corton, Beaune, Meursault, Volnay and Pommard, after which you reach the Cote Challonaise at the southern end of the highly reputed Cote d’Or wine region. The period towns nearby: Dijon, Beaune, Montbard and Tournus are well worth a visit, as well some of the neaby villages.
Visit the ramparts and towers of Semur en Auxois, the centre is entirely mediaeval, as is the village of Mont St Jean. The Chateaux of Commarin and Chateauneuf are both 17km away: the former has fine period furniture & antiques, and . Going North, visit Fontenay Abbey and Chateau of Bussy Rabutin (with a delightful bistro nearby) Both are well worth a visit. There are riding stables in Thoisy le Desert, bicycles sometimes for hire at the Tourist office in Pouilly (book in advance) and the hills, woods and lakes of the Morvan are 30 mins drive away which attracts hikers and picnics.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Price|
3 Jun 2017 - 30 Jun 2017
4 night minimum stay
for 4 nights
1 Jul 2017 - 28 Jul 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
29 Jul 2017 - 25 Aug 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
4 night minimum stay
for 4 nights
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£400|
- Bookings may be held briefly by phone or email at the discretion of the Owner,
- 4 day lets and more are possible except in July, August, and over Easter, when 7 days are the norm.
- While arrival and departure days are flexible, bookings in July and August are usually a Saturday
arrival after 5pm, to at least to the following Saturday, departure by 10 am. This allows time to
clean and prepare the property for new arrivals.
Liability: The owners and / or their agents take no responsibility for any accidents to guests or
other visitors to the property, and this particularly applies to the swimming pool.
These are not optional, and are payable directly to the housekeeper, or may be deducted from the deposit
with a 20% additional charge
: Laundry and cleaning charge is 70 euros
: Heating charge - between 20 and 30 euros per day - depending on the weather and length of stay !
A well behaved dog may be permitted, but always check with the owners before booking.
Cancellation : More than 45 days before arrival date, the deposit is returnable less 15%.
Less than 45 days before arrival, the full rental is payable (unless relet,
when 85% is returned)
Postponement : Possible by mutual agreement, otherwise the above applies.
Insurance: 'No Show' insurance is strongly recommended to avoid possible dispute.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“The farmhouse is an ideal place from which to take advantage of historic, gastronomic and sporting activities. You can relax in the private and lovely surroundings, enjoy the garden and pool, particularly if you have children. The walks are varied, and for the more active, there are also sport facilities nearby: golf and tennis (10 minutes), as well as restaurants and vineyards (from 5 minutes to 45 by car) Soussey is close to some of the main cities of France and Europe. Access is easy via the A6 motorway, 20 minutes away. Calais is 5 hours, Geneva 2 1/2 hours, and the same to Paris. The neighbours are friendly, take care of our property and will welcome you on arrival. A feature is its seclusion surrounded by trees and fields, at the same time, it is in a quiet period village.”
- Iron & Board
- Living Room ...
- Washing Machine
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Satellite / Cable
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool
- pets considered
- autumn foliage
- botanical garden
- winery tours
- bird watching
- eco tourism
- horse riding
- paddle boating
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- freshwater fishing
- mountain biking
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure, Bidet
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- 2 separate bathrooms each with wc and bath/shower over, one with washing machine. Additional en-suite shower and basin for bedroom 4.
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 8 (4 Bedrooms) plus a cot Notes on bedrooms: Bedroom 1 double bed. Bedroom 2 twin beds and cot. Bedroom 3 one double and a single bed. Bedroom 4 has twin beds, but can convert to a large double.
- Golf ...
- Notes on accommodation: The farmhouse enjoys a natural period charm, and is suitable for 2 families with children, or four couples. An additional ground floor 5th bedroom and shower room / WC may sometimes be available on the ground floor of the studio 20 metres away, and at a small additional cost. This is not let separately. The farmhouse and gardens are enclosed by fences and walls, which should deter all but most determined young children. Note the pool cover should prevent a serious accident to a young child, but the owners accept no liability on this point. A normal sized dog is acceptable at the discretion of the owners, if properly trained and supervised, but guests should inquire in advance on this point. Outside: The farmhouse has a fine garden, with lawns edged by mature flower beds and partly enclosed by low stone walls. In addition there is an orchard with plum, cherry, and hazelnut trees, as well as a terrace with teak furniture and a barbecue. Next to the pool there is a further terrace also with garden furniture. The swimming pool 8 x 4m is reasonably secluded, oval shaped with steps at the shallow end. It is exclusive to the property. Maintenance of the garden, orchard and pool is contracted locally. The farmhouse faces south west down the valley with views over fields and the neighbouring hills. There are delightful local walks and bike rides some in quite wild countryside, as well as longer trails for the more adventurous, many of which are signposted. This is a peaceful village at the end of valley, (no through traffic!) and well exposed to sunshine. Utility Room: A pool house for recreation is planned for 2015, but this is not definite at this stage. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: Towels (but not pool towels) and linen are provided. Additional services are baby sitting/cleaning/maid service/cook. These are sometimes available by arrangement and at extra cost. Other: The terrace has a large teak table, parasol and chairs (sitting 10+), with a barbecue nearby.