Villa in Mercatale di Cortona, Tuscany/Umbria Border - 30 mins to Lake Trasimeno
Cielo Chiaro is set in 2 acres of private olive groves in the hills above the Niccone Valley, near Mercatale on the border of Umbria and Tuscany. The house in San Martino has good access and gated for security, and is 5 minutes from the nearest village with shops, bars, restaurants and banks. The area is rural and tranquil with people who are open, warm and welcoming to everyone; it is a magical mix of charming historic hill towns, breathtaking scenery and a unique concentration of artistic and architectural riches. The garden has fig, pear and walnut trees for guests' use, and there is a shady pergola for outside dining. The accommodation is all on one level with several steps up to the front door and the ground floor houses the boiler,and water tanks. The cottage is now ready, with 1 bedroom, kitchen/sitting room, modern bathroom, utility, and terrace. We purposely made the accommodation suitable for disabled guests with wide doorways and level access.
Top Traveller Review
Excellent location, great holiday
About the Owner
Guestbook comments from the owner
Fantastic 12 days, pool great, houses perfect, tranquility, stars from the terrace memorable.-The Cook family, London
Well, that was a holiday - awesome villa, pool and scenery - Katyana Rocker
Fabulous villa and location, great views from garden and pool, enjoyed wine on balcony in the evenings - Pace and girls
5 based on 6 holidaymaker reviews
Excellent location, great holiday
We stayed here for 2 weeks with my in laws. What was great about it was that we was able to have a seperate place to enjoy some of own time in the very good cottage at the end of the garden. My advice is take this even if there is only a small party. The house is excellent, beautifully decorated with everything you need, the views are unbelievable and the pool area is fantastic. This is a real rural Italian hideaway, the people in the local town don't speak much English and you are experiencing authentic Italy. We got excellent advice of restaurants and places to go from marrianne, some of the restaurants are unbelievable. We enjoyed relaxed days by the pool and barbecues in the evening watching the stars. Me and my wife used the place as a hub for part of the second week, taking a train to Rome for 2 nights then veninice for one which was easy with the transport system in likely, we managed to do a day trip to Florence without hassle. If you are considering somewhere in Umbria/ Tuscany this is the place, you ll get a great location, peaceful surroundings, great food, excellent local villages, breathtaking scenery, great landlords and excellent links to the big cities. The pictures don't do it justice
I had the most amazing holiday. The villa had beautiful views for miles. It is the perfect place to take the family as it has everything you need all there ready for you. It is very peaceful yet only a 10 miniute drive to the small local village where we sat and had a few drinks. It is also little shop. I would definitely recommend this villa and can't wait to go again. I haven't been somewhere and felt so relaxed and at home.
Ideal Villa For Central Italy Vacation
A very good property right along the Tuscan/Umbrian border, in which we had a wonderful time. There is a lot of space, which was needed as I, my wife, our two children, and my mother-in-law were together -- there is a separate smaller house neatly made up which was perfect for her. The pool is very roomy, and the area around the pool is comfortable, too, dotted with well-set areas for al fresco dining (the kitchen makes preparation easy, as do local shops). It's an absolutely perfect area for artistic adventures as well, as Sansepulcro is only 45 minutes, and with Orvieto only about an hour and a half drive (the Cathedral is remarkable). The driving is along some curvy roads, but I must admit, I felt that was part of the fun. The owners of this villa are very accommodating, and pointed us towards a local winery, Donini, where we discovered some very reasonable and high-quality local wines to have while we stayed. Overall, I hope we can return again.
Lovely Spot In North Umbria
This villa was perfect for our family vacation in Italy! It has a big comfortable main house with 3 bedrooms, and then a snazzy side cottage about 50 yards away -- so great for us as we had 8 people (three couples and two kids). The bigger house had a nice kitchen we used all the time (there's a great little grocery store in nearby Mercatale I suggest visiting) to make meals, and when it was nice outside there are great spots for eating under the sun -- the grounds are also lovely! It was just warming up enough for us to use the pool, which is big enough we could all enjoy at once when we wanted. And it's salt water instead of chlorine as another review pointed out, which we liked better. We had swell daytrips as well (don't think we just sat and ate and swam!), to the amazing, can't miss, Assisi (about an hour away, and overflowing with art treasures), and to closer Citta di Castello (which has a great "retro flea market" on the third Sunday I think it is), as well as smaller local towns. Oh, one last thing, when you stay here (and you should, because it's lovely and affordable), try the restaurant close-ish called Calagrana. The owners of this villa -- who are super duper friendly and helpful if you need it -- pointed it out to us, and it's delicious. Overall, this villa was everything we could have wanted. A wonderful spot. We'll be back!
Fantastic property to stay in, the images on the page do not do it justice. A lovely, quiet area to stay in,we had no trouble at all. The customer service was excellent and we were provided with a welcome pack at the start of our stay which was very thoughtful. The property was very clean and well looked after and I would definitely recommend this property to a friend.
It was the perfect set-up for our 3 generation family holiday. Parents and children (ranging in age from 1 - 4) were in the main house while grandparents had a peaceful haven in the cottage! Lovely salt water pool - so much nicer than chlorine - and we swam most days. A swim before breakfast is the best start to any day! Fabulous countryside and plenty of interesting places to visit, food markets, restaurants, and wineries. Thank you for making us so welcome and comfortable - a wonderful holiday and memories to cherish - not least the fireflies dancing each night!
Activity and Interests
There is a man-made beach at Lake Trasimeno - about 25 mins drive from the house,with sun-beds for hire, and ferries to the islands on the lake, one of which is a nature reserve.The restaurant Ciao Ciao is on the beach where guests can have a glass of Prosecco whilst waiting for the ferry.
The ferry takes you to the one of the islands famous for lace-making and fishing. There are at least 2 good restaurants and a beautiful small church.
Perugia Airport (new to Ryanair ) 45 mins
Florence: 2 hours.
Rome and Pisa: 3 hours.
Forli(Bologna) and Ancona 2 hours
Car hire can be booked to collect at the airport - essential for a holiday at Cielo Chiaro.
The village of Lisciano Niccone is a 5 min. drive and has a small supermarket, two bars and two restaurants.
The small town of Mercatale has shops, banks restaurants and the best baker for miles!
Assissi, Siena, Orvieto, Montepulciano and many other famous cities are an easy drive from the house and we suggest travelling by train to Florence, Rome and Perugia - fun and cheap!
The house is an excellent base for exploring such jewels as Florence, Assisi, Perugia, Siena, Gubbio, but there are many other lesser-known towns within easy reach for you to discover. A spectacular 20 minute drive over the hills offers you Lake Trasimeno, Italy's 4th largest lake. Subtly beautiful in itself with miles of placid water and 2 islands to visit by ferry, there is an opportunity for water sports here. Throughout the area during the season there is a wide variety of entertainment including music festivals antique fairs, and village 'festas' which the locals use as an excuse for a celebration!
There are many good restaurants but a short drive from the house with specialities such as homemade pasta with truffles and wild boar. One restaurant has a Sunday "brunch" - a set buffet style meal much appreciated by previous guests - another is in a wonderful position with a brilliant chef - just 10 mins away from Cielo Chiaro.
We always visit guests soon after their arrival to answer any queries and to give local advice on what to see and where to eat.
There is a shoe warehouse near Anghiari (about 30 mins drive) which caters for all tastes, and they have recently added clothes and luggage, handbags etc. A good day out would be to buy shoes, lunch at Castello di Sorci - a set price 6 course meal, and visit the museum with the Pregnant Madonna fresco in nearby Monterchi. Many guests have enjoyed our suggestion!
There are many supermarkets within easy reach, some with fresh fish counters, and the weekly markets offer the opportunity to join the locals in buying fresh fruit and vegetables, chat with friends over a coffee or glass of wine, and enjoy a porchetta roll (the famous whole roast pig stuffed with fennel and garlic) - a speciality of this area, not to be missed !
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
A deposit of 50% with the booking form secures your booking and the balance should be paid 6 weeks before the holiday.
Sunday. We changed to Sunday to accomodate guests who want to use Ryanair to Perugia. Guests should arrive between 4 and 7 pm, and leave by 10 am on their departure day.
Notes on prices:
The cost of the main house only(sleeping 6 ) is £1200 per week high season The cost of both houses sleeping 8 in total is £1600 per week high season.
We are not letting the houses separately, so guests will have sole use of the pool
50% deposit for booking Balance 6 weeks before holiday
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“Able to accomodate several generations - some families enjoy the ability for the older members to use the cottage and separate terrace for some quiet times. There are lovely views from the terraces and pool.”
- Fireplace ...
- Hair Dryer
- Heating ...
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room ...
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Wood Stove
- Kitchen ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- DVD Player
- Games ...
- Music Library
- Satellite / Cable ...
- Video Library
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool ...
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- children welcome
- autumn foliage
- winery tours
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness centre
- laundrette - serviced
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- freshwater fishing
- mountain biking
- 100 m²
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath (no shower), Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 1 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 2 - Shower Enclosure
- Shower room 3 - Shower Enclosure
- Blue room, en-suite bathroom with bath, shower over. Green room, en-suite bathroom with shower. Family bathroom with shower next to claret bedroom. Cottage has I en-suite shower room, loo, bidet, granite wash basin.
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Cot
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Description of sleeping capacity: Sleeps 6 (3 Bedrooms) plus one in new cottage = 8 Notes on bedrooms: Blue bedroom double antique bed, balcony. Green bedroom, twin beds. Claret bedroom, twin beds. All bedrooms have a large wardrobe, and chest of drawers Cot and high chair available for babies. Please bring cot linen with you. I double bed in cottage.
- Bicycles ...
- Notes on accommodation: The villa was completely restored six years ago, and we have tried to make the house as comfortable and attractive as possible with all the facilities needed for family life. For those who are looking forward to preparing delicious meals with local ingredients, we have tried to equip the kitchen with all necessary utensils, as well as some cookery books, should you need inspiration. The kitchen has a table where most guests eat breakfast, and the living/dining room has an antique walnut dining table extending to seat 12. There is a wood-burning stove in the marble fireplace, making it cosy for cool evenings and metered central heating for winter bookings. The house is child friendly since there are no steps inside, but must be supervised at all times when outside especially at the pool. The cottage is newly restored with modern kitchen, granite worktops and bathroom with stunning multiple shower, marble tiles, and black granite washbasin. Outside: The gardens are terraced, with the 12m x 6m pool about 100m stroll away from the house, through olive trees.The pool is private and for the sole use of our guests. Roman steps take you gently into the shallow end of the pool and the view over the wild flower meadow is stunning. An outside shower with seat is under the cherry tree and there is plenty of room round the pool for garden furniture and umbrellas. There is a vine and passion flower covered pergola near the house where guests can dine and use the barbecue. Deck chairs and sun-beds are provided by the pool and several umbrellas for shady reading, and there is a table and 6 chairs under the pergola. The house is secure with large new gates, and parking on gravel in front of the building. The cottage is situated in a secluded position, about halfway between the main house and the pool and has it's own terrace. Cleaning / Towels / Linen / Maid service: All bedlinen and towels are provided (please bring your own pool towels)and changed weekly. The house will be cleaned and made ready for your arrival but extra cleaning is available, payable locally. Other: Most guests take breakfast in the kitchen, and use the dining table for lunch and dinner. Many guests use the outside space under the pergola at the back of the house for meals.