Stunning setting in 9 acres of rolling countryside. Sleeps 13 +
Welcome to Les Chataigniers! Set around the courtyard of a former farm, our spacious stone farmhouse with separate games room and swimming pool overlook nine acres of garden, fields and woodland. Visitors remark on the beauty and tranquility of its setting, tucked away at the end of a country lane in a tiny hamlet on the Tarn/Aveyron border.
The seven-bedroomed farmhouse is designed for groups to share comfortably - all four of the upstairs double bedrooms have full en-suite shower room with w.c. and sink, and there is also a single/cot room on this floor. The two downstairs double bedrooms share a large family bathroom with bath, separate shower, sink and w.c. Five of our bedrooms can be configured as either doubles or twins, two can comfortably accommodate a third single bed. If you are a group of friends or extended family looking for a place to enjoy each others company but escape to your own space when you need to - you will find it at Les Chataigniers.
Outdoors, the central courtyard area is ideal for a game of boules, and a large dining deck with gas barbecue faces south-west to take full advantage of the evening sun. Across the courtyard is our enormous, well-equipped games room where you will find table tennis and snooker tables, a bar area, sofas and armchairs, an overhead projector and screen, bookcases full of holiday reading, and a well-stocked childrens' toy corner - a great place to encourage the younger members of your party to take a break from the midday heat, as well as a great socialising space for the evenings.
Double doors lead out from the games room to the fully-fenced pool deck, which has spectacular views over the valley. The 8m x 5m pool with its decked surround and sun loungers is heated by solar panels and is usually open from late May until at least the end of September. Groups with small children will be pleased to know that all access points into the pool area are padlocked and that an additional pool alarm can be activated if required.
Below the pool is a level, grassed games area perfect for croquet or other ball games, with swings, climbing frame and slide. Below the complex of Les Chataigners is the meadow; play a game of rounders here, pick wild flowers for the table and hunt for butterflies, or adventure across it to the woods above the stream. Produce from our organic vegetable garden is available in season for guests' use - and we also keep chickens, and encourage young visitors to collect their own breakfast eggs!
Exploring the glorious countryside around, on foot or by bike, is a delight. A short drive or woodland walk brings you to our nearest village with its bakery, butcher and general store. Further afield are historic bastide towns, vineyards, castles, lively markets and wonderful outdoor leisure opportunities.
Do take a look at our aerial video further down this listing in order to fully appreciate the setting and layout of our property (please note that the cottage shown in the video is never rented out at the same time as the farnhouse).
Top Traveller Review
Un très bel endroit
About the Owner
(7 traveller reviews)
Un très bel endroit
Un groupe de 12 motards. Un endroit convivial et chaleureux où chacun y trouve sa place pour y passer un excellent séjour. Un petit havre de paix, des hôtes sympathiques et une magnifique région à découvrir. Merci à Chris et Mark
Fantastic time at Les Chataigniers!
The property is absolutely beautiful: situated on a ridge with amazing views, on the edge of a very pretty quiet village. The courtyard is instantly welcoming, gardens (including extensive vegetable garden and orchards) beautifully kept, and accommodation both chic and comfortable (and spotless). The pool is lovely and warm and a great place to laze and read a book!
Chris and Mark were incredibly welcoming and very helpful with ideas of what to do in the area (and there is plenty to do, if you can drag yourselves away from the lovely property!). Our family had a wonderful, restful and fun break with something for everybody to do. I would heartily recommend Les Chataigniers to anyone looking for a beautiful, tranquil haven!
Wonderful stay at les Chataigniers
We stayed at Les Chataigiers for a long week in August. It was even more beautiful and special than we could have hoped. The buildings are spacious and beautiful, it feels like a little corner of paradise as you're not too far from restaurants and shops but far enough to feel like you've got your own French country house in peace and quiet. Everything is done to the highest of standards, lovely en-suite bedrooms, so much space beautiful grounds. Theres a wonderful pool in a sun trap to while away a lazy afternoon after sampling the local produce.
Simply beautiful- one of the most special places we've ever been to.
Spacious, modern and very well equipped
Our large family group have just returned from a wonderful week at Les Chataigniers. The property was modern, clean and well equipped. The facilities and grounds were enjoyed by all the kids (young and old) and Mark and Chris were friendly and helpful. Basically, everything was first class and this is one of the very best places we have ever had the pleasure to stay. Thank you. The Wise gang.
Staying at Campels
We are the Kennet Valley TR club...and we drove our cars to the Aveyron to enjoy our sports car in such lovely surroundings.
We were not disappointed in any way...the gite or the lovely area it is situated in
We were a group of 8 people...we have rented gites before and also stayed in hotels in France. This was the best yet.....it suited us exactly...owners are welcoming but not intrusive.....unless asked to join us!. The place is secluded enough to let your hair down and relax...which we did. There were also wonderful places to get to....Tarn Gorge....Villefranche.....Rodez...and much smaller places as well...whatever you want. Stay at the gite and enjoy relaxing in their pool...with great views.....or tour around.
The gite is well equipped for self catering with plenty of crockery and cooking utensils. You can sit on the deck and all eat ...or go indoors ..there is plenty of space for a large group either way.
The bedrooms are attractive and clean....furniture is comfortable .....outlooks are enjoyable. We just didn't want to leave...and have talked about it fondly ever since we have been back......would love to visit it again
a true little paradise
We have spent at 13 (6 adults and 7 children) an extraordinary week in this place: a beautiful, big old house, romantic gardens around, a secured swimming pool, a big playground, ancient stables with lots of room to play (table tennis), a real paradise for children - and adults, staying on the nice terrace beneath a glycine (?) or around the swimming pool. The region is picturesque, the house is in a little hamlet, very quiet. Another big point is the wonderful welcome by the owners with whom the contact is very pleasant, easy and cordial. We will return this summer…
Yann and Astrid from France (Alsace)
Activity and Interests
Home to 10 of France's 'Most Beautiful Villages' - as well as the world's highest bridge at Millau - Aveyron is rich in culture, history and natural beauty, yet remains relatively undiscovered. This is the place for people who love the outdoors! Walking, riding, photography, cycling, fishing, kayaking - all can be enjoyed amidst stunning surroundings, clean waterways and pure air. Those with an interest in history will delight in exploring its bastide towns, its castles, its churches and cathedrals. For gourmets, there are several Michelin-starred restaurants close by - or shop for the freshest of ingredients in a vibrant marketplace then bring them home to cook at leisure. If you can drag them away from the pool, children will find much to entertain them in the area too - Cap Decouverte is a theme park with a difference; Micropolis, the city of insects, is fun AND educational. During the summer, street theatre and festivals are common, and of course every village has its own fete!
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
25 Mar 2017 - 26 May 2017
4 night minimum stay
for 4 nights
27 May 2017 - 7 Jul 2017
4 night minimum stay
for 4 nights
8 Jul 2017 - 1 Sep 2017
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
2 Sep 2017 - 29 Sep 2017
5 night minimum stay
for 5 nights
30 Sep 2017 - 28 Oct 2017
4 night minimum stay
for 4 nights
Additional pricing information
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£200|
TEN-DAY LETS MAY ALSO BE AVAILABLE DURING HIGH SEASON - PLEASE ENQUIRE
LINEN - All bedroom linen, bathroom towels, pool towels and kitchen towels provided. Changeover at mid-point for two week rentals.
HOUSEHOLD BASICS - On arrival, guests will find starter supplies of soap, toilet rolls, washing-up liquid and sponges plus household cleaning materials.
20% deposit at point of reservation, with balance and refundable deposit normally payable 8 weeks before arrival. We accept payment in sterling or euros, by bank transfer or cheque.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 100% refund for cancellations more than 60 days before check-in date.
- Away From It All
- Activities Guide
- Basic Soaps
- Broadband Access
- Garage ...
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room
- Local Maps
- Local Restaurant Guide
- Parking ...
- Parking Off Street
- Toilet Paper
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine ...
- Wood Stove ...
- Coffee Maker ...
- Cooking Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Pantry Items ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- Audio Tape Player
- Books - Fiction / Non-fiction
- Books for Kids
- CD Player
- DVD Player
- Game Room ...
- Games for Kids
- Music Library
- Ping Pong Table
- Pool Table
- Satellite / Cable
- Stereo ...
- Video Player
- Video Library
Pool / Spa
- Heated Pool
- Outdoor Pool
- Private Pool ...
- autumn foliage
- live theatre
- recreation centre
- winery tours
- bird watching
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- fly fishing
- freshwater fishing
- mountain biking
- Sunset en suite - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, Twin sinks
- Walnut en suite - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, Shower cabin with rainforest shower head and body jets
- Birdsong en suite - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, Walk in shower area
- Lime tree ensuite - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, Walk in shower area
- Cloakroom - Toilet, Ground floor, off main entrance hall
- Ground floor suite - Toilet, Bath with Shower, Shower Enclosure, Ground floor suite shared between two ground floor rooms
- Bath and hand towels are supplied; a mid-point change of towels is included for bookings of two weeks. Swimming pool towels are supplied - please do not use towels from bedrooms at the pool.
- 7 Bedrooms, Sleeps 13
- Courtyard room - 1 Double Bed, Ground floor room with fixed 140 cm double bed.
- Sunset room - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, Huge upstairs room, can be double/twin/triple. Space for cot
- Birdsong room - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, Upstairs. Bed can be split to form twin beds. Space for cot.
- Walnut room - 1 Double Bed, Upstairs room with 140 cm double bed. Room for cot.
- Siesta - 2 Single Bed, Ground floor. Beds can be zipped to form extra large double
- Limetree room - 2 Single Bed, Upstairs room. Beds can be zipped to form large double.
- Linen room - 1 Single Bed, Upstairs room; no private bathroom facilities
- 5 rooms have double beds with ample bedding. 3 can be unzipped to form twins if required. We are happy to reconfigure bedrooms to suit each party's requirements - for example, the largest bedroom has frequently been made into a 'dormitory' with 3 single beds for a group of cousins. The ground floor suite of rooms has a 140 cm double in the front bedroom and zippable twin beds in the rear bedroom. Two wooden cots are also available, plus an extra child's bed. We are happy to advise on which rooms are best suited to accommodate a cot. Each double bedroom has its own ensuite shower, wc and handbasin; the ground floor suite also has a bath. Additionally there is a charming single bedroom on the first floor; please note that this does not have private facilites, but there is a separate w.c. and hand basin on the ground floor which could easily be designated for the sole use of the occupant of this single room. .
- Bicycles ...
- Terrace ...
- Garden ...
- Barbecue ...
- 2 bicycles
- Max. occupancy: 13
- non smoking only ...
- pets considered
- Events Allowed
- children welcome ...
Learn more about this holiday rental at the owner's website
- Our bedrooms are almost all en suite, and all bathrooms apart from one have been refitted over the past two years. The beamed sitting room, dining room and kitchen with dining deck adjoin each other giving an easy flow of activities. The kitchen has a range style cooker, dishwasher and American fridge/freezer, plus plenty of work surface and storage space. Excellent range of pans, casseroles, serving dishes etc. more than adequate for 12. The dining area has table and chairs for 12. Extra seating is of course available for larger parties, as are high chairs for groups with babies and toddlers. Double doors open from the kitchen onto the deck with tables and chairs for up to 16 guests. The sitting room has comfortable sofa and chairs, TV, video/dvd and iPod dock. Large groups will love the additional space offered in the games room, which has relaxed seating and dining areas. Outside access to laundry with washing machine, sink, and drying space.