Romanesque chapel restored to make romantic holiday cottage for 2/4 persons
This ancient Romanesque chapel on the domain de Pierrou has been lovingly converted b y the present owners with a great respect for its form, its lovely stonework, floors, timber and roof. The nave has become a handsome living-room, the only departure from tradition being the patio-windows to fill the space with natural light; the hexagonal apse has become a beautifully-fitted dining-kitchen; the porch has become a warm-welcoming bedroom. Outside, lawns give way to vine-clad slopes and flowers; there are magnificent views across the hills of the Corbiéres.
The little road which connects Pierrou to the village goes no further than the domain; this is the end of the road so there is no passing traffic, nothing to disturb the peace except perhaps the cry of a bird or the murmur of men working among the vines. This special place provides a self-catering villa rental of exceptional quality which combines the presence of history and nature with a taste for good living.
Around St. Polycarpe & Limoux: The village of St Polycarpe retains the charms of its narrow lanes, its medieval abbey and its Roman aqueduct. Nearby, the pretty town of Limoux straddles the river Aude. It has some fine buildings - some of the Renaissance period -- and a handsome arcaded town square. As a wine-center, its a great place for wine-tasting. (The owner of La Pierrou is an acknowledged leader of the local wine-community and will be happy to guide you to the best wines !). Limoux is a town which loves to celebrate the joys of good wine and good food , and this is often accompanied by street – parties and festivals (music, dance and theater, much of it in the open-air). Carcassonne, only 20 minutes from Limoux, provides an astonishing display of medieval architecture as well as a fine arts festival and thrilling historical pageantry (the jousting is as near to the real thing as you can get in safety !)And within an hour's drive are several castles and abbeys to visit.
Top Traveller Review
A little hidden gem
About the Owner
4.8 based on 4 holidaymaker reviews
A little hidden gem
A quiet place, on a beautiful location, amidst the vineyards above the village of St Polycarpe. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. The cottage has all the amenities one needs, and is in a very good state. The environment is ideal for walks through the woods and along the vineyards, and we made wonderful trips on our bikes. The small garden makes a tranquil and secluded spot for reading. We were graciously received and will certainly keep coming back to this wonderful place!
Disagree with Lea
We completely disagree with Lea's negative review - we stayed for a week in October in La Chappelle and found it to be absolutely charming and well-equipped. We had a perfect time, the property is situated in stunning French countryside (the nearest town is just a short drive away), with a whole range of walks, castles, fortresses, Abbeys, etc to visit in the vicinity. The property is a converted chapel and had everything that we could need, and the owners provided us with excellent service, meeting us and driving us to the property and showing us around. We had a wonderful time, and would not hesitate to go back. I really cannot understand Lea's comments, they certainly don't reflect our experience.
Nigel & Tracy
Peaceful and Calming
After a somewhat stressful time at home we found recharging at La Chappelle just perfect. Mostly we dog walked and read but the location cried out for visits to Carcasonne and Narbonne so we were forced to oblige.
In summary quiet, peace, calm and tranquil are all word we would use to recommend this beautiful gite.
... And would we recommend it to friends ? Absolutely !
Bill & Debby, Castelmoron-sur-lot.
La Chapelle near St Polycarpe
1. Property description map on website is grossly misleading. The property is very remote and well out of Limoux.
2. We were surprised to find on receipt of the booking confirmation that we were dealing with an agent and not the owner of the property.
3. Although the property was well equipped there were no cloths or tea towels in the kitchen, which we had to purchase.
4. It should be made clear that there is no welcome pack for breakfast and that the nearest shop is in Limoux - about 6 miles away.
5. Having stayed in other properties with a pool and substantial welcome pack for the same price we feel this one is over priced.
Activity and Interests
Pierrou is on the edge of the Corbiéres wine country, about 2 km from the village of St Polycarpe (with old abbey and Roman aqueduct) and about 6 km from the charming market town of Limoux, the center of 'blanquette de Limoux' production (a sparkling wine which was the precursor of champagne). It is a 40 minute drive from the city walls of Carcassonne and the banks of the Canal du Midi (both UNESCO protected world-monuments).Toulouse & Perpignan are 90 minutes away, Spain & Andorra just over two hours. Situated between the mountains and the Mediterranean, it is a wonderful region to explore by car ; but the immediate surroundings have much to offer the walker and the cyclist ..........
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event Price|
4 Sep 2016 - 29 Oct 2016
4 night minimum stay
for 4 nights
1 Apr 2017 - 3 Jun 2017
4 night minimum stay
for 4 nights
Additional pricing information
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
These rates are fully inclusive -- all bedding, towels, energy charges, services etc. When a reservation is made a deposit of 25% is required ; the remainder is due two months before the starting date of the letting. .
Lettings normally run from Saturdays to Saturdays - exceptions are possible especially outside the main summer season.
Manager's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Away From It All
- Linens Provided
- Sofa Bed
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- 4 Ring Stove
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- CD Player
- DVD Player
- children welcome
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair accessible
- winery tours
- horse riding
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- mountain biking
- 56 m²
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Shower Enclosure, h/basin, wc
- Room 2
- 1 Bedroom, Sleeps 4
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Large Double Bed
- There is a sofa-bed in the living-room --- this can be screened off to make for some privacy if sleeping four.
- 4 garden chairs
- THE HOUSE, despite its respect for tradition, is fitted out to a very high quality modern standard. The kitchen & bathroom have impeccable tiled or marbled surfaces and fittings and there is all the modern equipment necessary for comfortable living - washing-machine, dishwasher, ceramic plaques & separate oven for cooking, refrigerator & freezer, micro-wave, electric kettle & coffee-maker - and for the living-space, handsome furniture, television, CD & DVD players OUTSIDE, there is a barbecue and eating area & lots of space for sitting in sun or in shade. Across the lawn there is the warm honey - colored stone of the facade of the main buildings of the domain and gardens. There are chairs & sun-loungers for browsing, and vine-clad slopes to explore when you want gentle activity - guests are welcome to roam in the 300 acres of this beautiful domain and to take the paths which lead off into the hills .