A gracious and comfortable chateau located in the idyllic French Countryside.
This historically significant Chateau (listed on France's National Register) has been luxuriously renovated to include modern comforts. It sits majestically on 370 acres and includes an extensive park, bucolic pastures and a working farm. The Chateau is also centrally located making it a perfect place with which to visit the fascinating sites of Normandy.
Medieval towns, chateaux, churches, gardens, World War II battle sites to visit are nearby. The Chateau is under 2 hours' drive from the D-day Beaches, Paris, Giverny. Guests also take day trips to Mont Saint-Michel and the chateaux of the Loire.
You will arrive at the Chateau through two sets of ornate iron gates, crossing over a double moat. Entering the Great Hall, you will walk through to the Petit and Grand Salons, with elegant furnishings, comfortable seating, a grand piano and magnificent views. The ground floor also includes a Grand Dining Room with French windows overlooking the moat and the pastures. A charming small dining room seats up to 12. The library is a cozy place to gather for drinks, or to rest and read. A handsome meeting room, with trompe l'oeil ceiling and walls, is also a private and refined dining space. Windows on three sides overlook the grounds. A "fumoir" tucked away at the end of the east wing makes a quiet spot to gather or spend "alone" time.
A club room, with handsome leather sofa and chairs, offers a wide-screen television and a card table, books, videos and games such as chess, backgammon, and monopoly.
The old kitchens have been converted into a billiards room, with a fireplace and seating. A pingpong table provides more indoor recreation.
Each well-appointed bedroom has its own fully-equipped bathroom. All bedrooms have excellent views of the grounds. King, twin, full and single bedrooms are available, as is a pack-and-play for babies and tots. A ground-floor bedroom is also available.
The kitchen has been brought up to 21st century standards -- convenient and well-apppointed whether you like to cook, hire a private chef or use a caterer.
A new heating plant keeps the chateau comfortable even in brisk weather and ensures a constant supply of hot water.
The extensive park -- guests have launched hot-air balloons on the grounds -- is available in all seasons. Relax in a lounge chair under the trees or in the sunny courtyard...gather around the fire pit...play badminton, croquet or boules...stroll on woodland paths...pick blackberries in summer, and discover the rare and fascinating buildings on the grounds.
These include one of the rare Protestant temples to survive the revocation of the Edict of Nantes in 1685, an intact 17th-century ice-house, an Orangerie, stables and farm buildings.
You'll also enjoy walking and bicycling along a network of country lanes.
The chateau is 10 minutes walk from the little village of Courtomer, where you will find your groceries and a weekly open-air fresh market, bar and restaurant.
Top Traveller Review
About the Owner
About Halle von Kessler
My husband and I undertook a major five-year renovation and restoration of the chateau in 2005. Our goal is to make you and your guests feel welcome and at home at Chateau de Courtomer.
Halle von Kessler purchased this chateau / country house in 2005
Why Halle von Kessler chose Orne
We fell in love with the beauty and charm of this magnificent estate in Normandy. Chateau de Courtomer was constructed in the 11th century, completely rebuilt on the eve of the French Revolution in 1789, and remained continuously in the family of the Saint-Simon de Courtomer or their descendants until 1905. It has a long history as a majestic family home. We use it in the same spirit of family, while respecting and maintaining its unique historic and historical character.
What makes this chateau / country house unique
A thorough renovation of systems ensures your comfort and convenience. The decoration is in keeping with the period and style of the Chateau. The working farm adds to the authenticity, with our herd of cattle and tended fields. You can see some of our renovations in progress in the outbuildings. The farmhouse will be available for rental starting in June 2016. It is also centrally located to many of France's important tourist spots.
(6 traveller reviews)
We were a group of fifteen family members having a reunion. We picked Chateau de Courtomer for its location (close to French branch of the family) and the en-suite accommodation. We had high expectations, all of which were exceeded. The chateau interior and park are gorgeous, fantastically well equipped for large numbers but best of all a totally relaxing and comfortable environment. The village has everything you need and surrounding towns offer choices of supermarkets and restaurants. None of us knew this part of France and its understated beauty delighted us all. Communication with Halle was perfect. We have wonderful memories and souvenirs and we hope to come back..
My Wedding at the Chateau de Courtomer!
We had an amazing time at the chateau! We had a small 30 person wedding and had some family stay at the chateau during a four night period. It was a beautiful place and the chateau had everything we could possibly need. The decor is amazing and there are so many rooms that each have unique touches. The grounds are also beautiful and we all loved seeing the cows in the pasture outside of the window. Some of our guests even saw some wild animals on the grounds. Working with Aude to arrange the rental for the wedding was straight forward and very easy. The kitchen accommodated the wedding caterer and the large dinning room easily sat all of our guests. We had the ceremony in the grand salon and it was truly a beautiful setting. We also had wedding dancing in the orangerie - which is a smaller event space on the lawn. All of our guests loved it! We will definitely be returning for anniversaries. I highly recommend the chateau for events and can furnish additional details about the wedding via Aude.
Magical and Enchanting
Everything about our experience at Chateau Courtomer was exceptional. From the moment we booked the Chateau, right up to the follow up email. We were treated like royalty. People onsite were very helpful. Aude made everything effortless. I had an "experience" and had invited 10 women from around the world. They were impressed and it felt like home! We were so grateful for everything, as all we required was onsite. I would highly recommend staying at Chateau Courtomer. You will be very pleased. Looking forward to coming back again. Much gratitude, Leona
We had a wonderful time at the chateau over Christmas. Despite being very large, it has a wonderful, warm, cosy and homely feel to it. I love to cook and the kitchen was very well-equipped - something most holiday lets are not - so I was very pleased. I highly recommend it and will definitely go back myself again.
I have rented many Chateau's and villas over the years, this home was beautifully maintained. Large enough to properly host and impress friends yet very intimate at the same time. The owner has done a wonderful job throughout the home, refinishing antiques wile offering modern conveniences. I will definately give a great rating and will most probably rent again.
Amazing Chateau With Everything You Need
The Chateau is an amazing, well-restored building that oozes charm. With the beautiful furnishings, plethora of books and even a stand of umbrellas at the front door it feels like a home, without the sterile feeling of a typical vacation rental or hotel. The caretakers were wonderful and helpful and the entire property is exceptional! The rooms are nicely restored and the en-suite bathrooms offer privacy for large get-togethers. I highly recommend it for your next stay.
From the Owner
“We fell in love with the beauty and charm of this magnificent estate in Normandy. Chateau de Courtomer was constructed in the 11th century, completely rebuilt on the eve of the French Revolution in 1789, and remained continuously in the family of the Saint-Simon de Courtomer or their descendants until 1905. It has a long history as a majestic family home. We use it in the same spirit of family, while respecting and maintaining its unique historic and historical character.”
Activity and Interests
Chateau de Courtomer is surrounded by 150 acres of its own park and farmlands, but only 10 minutes walk from the local village with post office, pharmacy, twice-weekly open-air market, butcher, greengrocer, 2 bakeries, bar/tabac (light meals), home-made cider shop, hardware store, and church. Gourmets will delight in nearby restaurants (especially Pavillon de Gouffern, set in forest glade; Les Pieds dans l'Eau & Le Tribunal at Mortagne-au-Perche). Nearby historical attractions: cathedral town of Sées, historic chateaux (Sacy, Carrouges, Champ de Bataille, etc.), Haras du Pin (French national stud, founded by Louis XIV), medieval city of Alençon, forest of Ecouves (nature walks and WWII history), Lisieux (birthplace of St. Thérèse). Chateau is 2 hours or less by car from Paris, Versailles, Giverny Monet's gardens, D-Day beaches, Bayeux Tapestry, Caen Memorial, beaches and race track of Deauville, Le Mans (of car-racing fame and race-car museum). Two hours 40 minutes from Mont Saint-Michel, world heritage site.
Other Activities: Horse-racing, car-racing, Central Parcs amusement park, karting, hiking in Forêt d'Ecouves.
|Rental Period||Minimum Price||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Price|
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
for 2 nights
* Approximate monthly price. Actual pricing will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Additional pricing information
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£871|
Please do not hesitate to contact us for week-ends and events. Special rates are available for weddings, seminars, etc.
Manager's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
From the Owner
“A thorough renovation of systems ensures your comfort and convenience. The decoration is in keeping with the period and style of the Chateau. The working farm adds to the authenticity, with our herd of cattle and tended fields. You can see some of our renovations in progress in the outbuildings. The farmhouse will be available for rental starting in June 2016. It is also centrally located to many of France's important tourist spots.”
- chateau / country house
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Laundry Soap
- Linens Provided
- Living Room
- Local Activities Guide
- Local Maps
- Paper Towels
- Parking Off Street
- Toilet Paper
- Towels Provided
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Wireless Internet
- 4 Ring Stove
- Coffee Grinder
- Coffee Maker
- Cooking Utensils
- Dishes & Utensils
- Freezer ...
- Ice Maker
- Kitchen ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Dining Room
- Books - Fiction / Non-fiction
- Books for Kids
- DVD Player
- Game Room
- Games for Kids
- Ping Pong Table
- Pool Table
- Video Library
- Events Allowed
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- children welcome ...
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair inaccessible
- autumn foliage
- botanical garden
- live theatre
- theme parks
- water parks
- bird watching
- eco tourism
- horse riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- laundrette - serviced
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- freshwater fishing
- golf pass optional
- mountain biking
- 1750 m²
- Bathroom 1 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, ensuite
- Bathroom 2 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, ensuite
- Bathroom 3 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, ensuite
- Bathroom 4 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, ensuite
- Bathroom 5 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, ensuite
- Bathroom 6 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, ensuite
- Bathroom 13 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, ensuite
- Bathroom 14 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, ensuite
- Bathroom 15 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, ensuite
- Bathroom 7 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, ensuite
- Bathroom 8 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, ensuite
- Bathroom 9 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, ensuite
- Bathroom 10 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, ensuite
- Bathroom 11 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, ensuite
- Bathroom 12 - Toilet, Bath with Shower, ensuite
- Thick cotton bath, extra-large sheet and hand towels, bath mitt and bath mat provided. Toilet paper provided. Hot water on demand from large water heater in basement, even when all bathrooms in use. Individually adjustable radiator allows you to warm your bathroom to your comfort. Hair dryers. White ceramic extra-wide tub, wide sink, toilet. Some bathrooms have grab bars for toilet, bath. Polished nickel accessories: soap/shampoo holder attached to tub wall; soap holder, 2 toothbrush holders, water glass and holder on sink backsplash; toilet-paper holder, extra roll holder, toilet brush holder, step-on trash can. Floor and lower half of walls tiled in honed ceramic, soft stone tones, decorative details. Large window lets in light, air, and views. All bedrooms have own en-suite bathroom.
- 15 Bedrooms, Sleeps 15
- Bedroom 1 - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, canopy bed
- Bedroom 2 - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, Louis XV style bed
- Bedroom 3 - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, child cot available
- Bedroom 4 - 1 Double Bed
- Bedroom 5 - 2 Single Bed, converts to king
- Bedroom 6 - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed
- Bedroom 13 - 1 Large Double Bed
- Bedroom 14 - 1 Double Bed
- Bedroom 15 - 1 Large Double Bed
- Bedroom 7 - 1 Large Double Bed
- Bedroom 8 - 1 Extra Lg. Double Bed, Four-poster bed
- Bedroom 9 - 1 Double Bed
- Bedroom 10 - 2 Single Bed
- Bedroom 11 - 1 Single Bed
- Bedroom 12 - 1 Single Bed
- All rooms have their own private modern bathroom. Egyptian cotton sheets, thickly padded mattress covers, hard and soft pillows. Also available are extra blankets. 3 king-size bedrooms, one with canopy bed. 5 twin-bedrooms can convert to 5 king-size bedrooms. 2 single bedrooms. 2 double-bedrooms. Baby/toddler bed available. Each room has individually adjustable Radiator, hard-wired Smoke Detector, wireless Internet connection. Antique Armoire in each room offers wood and padded hangers, shelves for clothing and shoes, plus comfortable seating and sork area with reading light in all bedrooms (ex. no. 4 and 12). Bedside tables and lamps in all rooms. Handsome period furnishings and curtains have black-out lining for a good night's sleep. All rooms have 1 or 2 large windows with view over park, pastures, woods. Ground-floor bedroom-bathroom suite is suitable for elderly or infirm person with easy access to living, dining rooms and kitchen.
- Deck Chairs
- Bicycles ...
- Terrace ...
- Outdoor Grill Gas
- 6 bicycles
- 20 garden chairs
- 20 deck chairs
- INDOOR activities: billiards room with large stone fireplace, ping-pong table. Grand piano in drawing room. TV and DVD player, iPod player. Board games. OUTDOOR games: boules, croquet, badminton and volleyball. 6 new bicycles with saddlebags and child seats. Box stalls with running water for horses. New gas barbecue grill. 2 extra-large sun umbrellas, 2 teak tables seat 8 each, outdoor chairs and drinks tables, 20 transats (deck chairs). GROUNDS: Moat surrounds chateau. Park includes allées of mature trees, copses, streams and ponds. Also on grounds: ruins of original medieval chateau,16th-century Protestant Temple, one of the oldest surviving in France, a listed 'Monument historique'; intact 19th-century glacière (ice house), Orangerie, 17th-century farm buildings, spring house, stables, 2 funerary chapels. Farming operation features herd of registered Limousine cattle, fields of hay and cereals. Allée through fields links chateau to village church.