Selsey is a seaside town located at the southernmost point of West Sussex, at the bottom of the Manhood Peninsula. It boasts a long shingle beach that offers sailing, swimming and windsurfing, as well as a children’s play area and café. Features of the town include Selsey Life Boat Station and Selsey Windmill. The nearest city is Chichester, which lies approximately nine miles away. Temperatures tend to stay at around 21°C in summer, falling to 4°C during winter. With a single main road in and out of the town, Selsey is almost completely surrounded by the sea.
Things To Do in Selsey
- Bracklesham Bay: Sand and shingle beach lying to the west of the Manhood Peninsula. It is a centre for windsurfing, longboarding, diving and stand-up paddle surfing. Bracklesham Beds are centuries-old fossil beds which can be seen at low tide.
- Chichester Cathedral: 900 year old cathedral in the county town of West Sussex with cathedral tours, shop and café.
- Bognor Regis: Seaside resort offering theatres, mini golf, shops, restaurants, nightlife and a promenade train. Butlins has a water park, live entertainment, shows and places to eat.
- South Downs Planetarium: Science-based attraction near Chichester.
- Fishbourne Roman Palace: Historic site of a large Roman palace.
- Manhood Cycle Network: Flat cycle routes around the Manhood Peninsula on roads that are mainly free of traffic, giving access to the harbours at Chichester and Pagham.
- Pagham Village and Nature Reserve: Popular place for walking, fishing and bird spotting.
- Uppark House: Stately home owned by the National Trust. Attractive gardens and woodland, 17th century doll’s house, Georgian dairy, servants’ tunnels and children’s quizzes.
- West Wittering Beach: Attractive sandy beach with views of the Isle of Wight, and walks around East Head loop. Facilities include a beach café, toilets, a shop, takeaway, windsurfing and kitesurfing club with showers and changing rooms.
- Selsey Golf Club: Nine-hole golf course with a Clubhouse, lounge area and terrace.
When to go to Selsey
The summer months form the peak season at Selsey, particularly July and August when temperatures are generally at their highest. November to March is the low season. Selsey Festival takes place each August, and incorporates Selsey Lifeboat Week, funfairs, shows and fireworks.
- Nearest Airport: Southampton International (40 miles).
- Local Transport: Chichester Railway Station (7 miles); local bus service covering the area.
- Currency: GBP
- Language: English
- Religion: Christianity